New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827216 times)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #3360 on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:07 AM »
Great weather info Shane.

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3361 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:01 AM »
I have done good as a front moves in, after it moves in and is on top of you AKA windy, on average I have not done as well. But if your on something special sometimes it doesn't matter  ;). Wind is just really irritating  and makes it harder to set up, grill venison etc...

My dad had his theory....the first day of high pressure is the worst fishing, it was usually right.

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #3362 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:43 AM »
So...what's a flat fish?
bluegill,sunfish, and crappie.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3363 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:44 AM »

Gills..crapps

Ah..makes sense. Thanks.   First time ive heard of them being called that.  I just call fhem panfish.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3364 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:56 AM »
Down in Florida flatties are flounder.......maybe we have a new invasive species in Oneida!!

flounder are horizontally flat ,as crappies ,sunfish and blue gills are vertically flat  ;)

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3365 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:06 AM »
IMPORTANT STUFF FROM SNAGGER...  all you guys had better go back to page 174 and print out, or at least read over a couple times, all the posts "SNAGGER" made.. A world of really good information. 
Especially the one that said " 2 good hrs in the morning and one at night"..   It is the end of Jan. the bonanza you have had the past month is probably over..  Yes, there will be hot spots and good days but in general, and if tradition  prevails,  the days of 30, 40 or 50 eyes has passed..Maybe 5 or 10 ???  You will have to look longer and fish harder for the eyes.   Perch ?? they might be a different story.  When they switch their diet from minnows to the fresh water shrimp they will turn on..
Good luck, be safe....

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #3366 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:10 AM »

Heres my setup. Bought two for 20$.

Offline Floor Pro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3367 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:24 AM »
flounder are horizontally flat ,as crappies ,sunfish and blue gills are vertically flat  ;)

I believe they prefer to be called horizontally challenged.

Offline Kowasz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3368 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:33 AM »
here is a good place to check current and predicted future barometric pressure, you just have to convert milibars to inhg.
http://aviationweather.gov/adds/progs/
Kowasz

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3369 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:46 AM »

Hey old timer, last holes we drilled last sunday, we found a group big jumbos puking up wigglers, bucks and shrimp all in the same puking, never found a group like that before, but either the low barometer or they were gorged so full, we still had to pick at them with 3 feet of them on the screen, man I hope they didn't move, but I'm sure they have by now.Little colder than they predicted this morning, 15 below again up here, can't believe Oneida made no ice, that's nuts....still current out there or something?  That little bit of snow is really insulating it that good.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #3370 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Fished Constantia yesterday. AM bite not even a mark, 930 to dark(who hit the switch)  pounded the eyes, perch were slow but the ones u got are jumbos. I did around 20 eyes myself. Not one short either. our group of 5 all got our limit of eyes!!!! what a day fishing with the boys.  Most peoples pressure is the wife want to see whats in the bucket  ;D and it better be filled lol

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3371 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Hey Billy Goat, how many fow were you in ?  : :icefish:

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3372 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:30 AM »

Hey old timer, last holes we drilled last sunday, we found a group big jumbos puking up wigglers, bucks and shrimp all in the same puking, never found a group like that before, but either the low barometer or they were gorged so full, we still had to pick at them with 3 feet of them on the screen, man I hope they didn't move, but I'm sure they have by now.Little colder than they predicted this morning, 15 below again up here, can't believe Oneida made no ice, that's nuts....still current out there or something?  That little bit of snow is really insulating it that good.

That variety of feed in their stomach is a little strange as is the ice thickness.. Maybe all the cold water going down the holes and cracks during the thaw has tipped things over ?? I would expect a lot more ice down on the East end.. I`d be interested to know the depth the eyes are hanging in now..  years ago after the first deep freeze we would move from the 20 to 22 ft off the beach, it would be out to the 24 to 25 ft range..   Different style of fishing the flats than the breaks.... 

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3373 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:41 AM »

there all over the place oldtimer, but I'm not fishing east this yr, if you look in 20 there they are if you in 38 fow, there they are again and everything inbetween, just a lot of walleye, most I have ever seen,..  Billy made a good post, first walker post of big success again in about 2 weeks, the eyes have returned back too an area they got driven off by noise, interesting watching a hot bite, first it goes gang busters, then we wittle away at them, then our presence moves them away, only for them too return after we have forgotten about them a couple weeks later., quite a rotation we do out there following the bites around.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline choo-choo steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I need to be on a Lake, River, Pond, or Stream.
« Reply #3374 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:23 AM »
Fished Constantia yesterday. AM bite not even a mark, 930 to dark(who hit the switch)  pounded the eyes, perch were slow but the ones u got are jumbos. I did around 20 eyes myself. Not one short either. our group of 5 all got our limit of eyes!!!! what a day fishing with the boys.  Most peoples pressure is the wife want to see whats in the bucket  ;D and it better be filled lol
Wow..great day billygoat!
My boots on some ice... A Line down a hole...Fish on the screen.........Winter is good !! (ch ch st.1/2013)

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3375 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:42 AM »
good info snagger,, i cant figure oute why the lake isnt making  ice like mad i know it slows as the ice gets thicker but i figured it at least would make 1/2 inch a day with these temps....

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #3376 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:57 AM »
good info snagger,, i cant figure oute why the lake isnt making  ice like mad i know it slows as the ice gets thicker but i figured it at least would make 1/2 inch a day with these temps....
with 6" to 8" of snow, and full sunshine every day on the ice it is a big insulating factor.   Sully...

Offline CrappieAttitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • golly thats good
« Reply #3377 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Fished north shore this morning. On the ice fishing by sunrise and off the ice at 9:00. It was a good morning for me. Just targeted the eyes and after a couple small moves I found them. They were on my lure like white on rice this morning. Didn't matter where on the vex they were they're came in and hit. Lost a couple studs at the hole but can't complain with a limit any day. Good luck everyone  :tipup: :tipup:
Take it for what it's worth

Offline craigski1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3378 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:16 AM »
Went out yesterday with a friend to the shoals and oneida did it to me a again. This guy was knocking the snot out of them a few days ago. I go out and it refuses to produce one fish not a one. I guess i need to stick to the smaller lakes and leave to big water to the big boys. Maybe next year I will give it another shot to ice my first eye.

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3379 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Fished north shore this morning. On the ice fishing by sunrise and off the ice at 9:00. It was a good morning for me. Just targeted the eyes and after a couple small moves I found them. They were on my lure like white on rice this morning. Didn't matter where on the vex they were they're came in and hit. Lost a couple studs at the hole but can't complain with a limit any day. Good luck everyone  :tipup: :tipup:
Nicely done! I am dying to get out there this afternoon, not gonna happen though :'(
6-8" of snow as well? I see sully's post.
Maybe tomorrow, maybe tomorrow....

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3380 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:50 AM »
Went out yesterday with a friend to the shoals and oneida did it to me a again. This guy was knocking the snot out of them a few days ago. I go out and it refuses to produce one fish not a one. I guess i need to stick to the smaller lakes and leave to big water to the big boys. Maybe next year I will give it another shot to ice my first eye.

Stay with it man. Oneida likes to see you pay your dues.  ;)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3381 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:35 AM »

There was only about 2" of snow on the ice yesterday in the Constantia area...It's making ice but slowly. There was a good current last Saturday.

Had -3 last night, 4 nights in a row below zero.

Offline craigski1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3382 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:51 AM »
I thought that walking 2 miles with all gear and braving the frigid temps was enough. WHAT MORE COULD THAT LAKE WANT. I did not even care if it was a short eye just wanted to knock it off the list but I guess I need to get to know the lake or maybe fish with some one that has electronics so i can atleast know they are down there and it is just a matter of time. I know I will go back just felt like grumbling a bit should have kept it to myself. I have vacation from the jan 26-feb 9  it is an hour drive but sure that i will go back. I know that asking for help is frowned upon but if there is an are where I do not need to walk out 2 miles to hope to find fish i am all ears . Do not know the lake well. No electronics and no smartphone for nav apps so I am depending on the kindness of strangers for a little info. pm if you wish. Thanks

Offline 600RevX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3383 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:57 AM »
No electronics is a tough way to go on Oneida...I've had days where my battery has died after 7-8 hrs and I start packing up- Get yourself a Hotspots Paper map and do some hole drilling, its the only way!
Why work when you can fish?<br />

Offline CrappieAttitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • golly thats good
« Reply #3384 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:08 PM »
Nicely done! I am dying to get out there this afternoon, not gonna happen though :'(
6-8" of snow as well? I see sully's post.
Maybe tomorrow, maybe tomorrow....

There were a few places that were probably drifted with that much snow.  For the most part there was about 2-3" where I was.  I'll be in your shoes tomorrow.  Have to love working the weekends when everyone is on the ice  :(
Take it for what it's worth

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #3385 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:09 PM »
I thought that walking 2 miles with all gear and braving the frigid temps was enough. WHAT MORE COULD THAT LAKE WANT. I did not even care if it was a short eye just wanted to knock it off the list but I guess I need to get to know the lake or maybe fish with some one that has electronics so i can atleast know they are down there and it is just a matter of time. I know I will go back just felt like grumbling a bit should have kept it to myself. I have vacation from the jan 26-feb 9  it is an hour drive but sure that i will go back. I know that asking for help is frowned upon but if there is an are where I do not need to walk out 2 miles to hope to find fish i am all ears . Do not know the lake well. No electronics and no smartphone for nav apps so I am depending on the kindness of strangers for a little info. pm if you wish. Thanks
Well if you don't invest in some kind of electronics you wont know what is under your hole. if you want a shorter walk them go out of Lewis point. its a short walk to the drop off. its on the SE corner of the lake. and I hate to say it but in your position you will be better off heading to the shanty towns out there. good luck Oneida can be a bitc* most times and she don't always give up fish all the time. you might want to at least get a map of the lake and do some home work before you go again ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline braz315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3386 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Here is my charge system ..... the phone is always on charge in the shanty ... Now with the bluetooth I dont even have to touch it ....

(Image removed from quote.)

How would one go about constructing one of those

Offline Ice Dog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3387 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I need one of the cell phone chargers as well. Going to Canada with Air tamarac and could charge some electronics off the solar system. 

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3388 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Chargers are easy enough to find. Just search 12V cell phone chargers. You can get them that'll screw down on your boat/ATV/etc. battery terminals or clamp on.

They start around $10

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3389 on: Jan 24, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Bonus Day today.  I had a few hrs free and with the weekend weather looking sketchy I loaded up the smitty sled and hit a spot the payed earlier in the week.  Can you say on FIRE!  I was a little tired and slept in. It was also a long walk so I probably didn't start fishing till 8:30.  Had 3 on the ice by 9:30.  16, 20 & 23.  Also got 3 shorts.  Packed up and headed home to get some chores done.  Gotta learn how to post pics here.  Always better with company but I'll go alone before sitting around. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.