New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2940 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:15 AM »
I slit the throat right were the gills come together it makes it impossible for the fish to breath and slits the the main artery you can see the heart pump out all the blood .I do it so the fish dies quicker...I know wimpy lol

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2941 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:26 AM »
Get the new Teardrop to go with it Fred??

no I'm sticking another 6061 on it, I really like that reel ,I know they aren't cheap but worth every penny to me and that now completes my arsenal

great fish team Kowboyup

and Kingfisher you will love that Smitty ,saves a load of butt break work

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2942 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:47 AM »
Went out of chapmans by myself yesterday and almost had to call upon my fellow iceshanty members for a ride back in.  I'll admit I'm a bit out of shape but pulling a 2 man clam in that snow with no traction underneath I thought I was gonna have a heart attack.  I had to stop a few times but made it.  Now I know if I can't get the wheeler fixed to tow my shanty I guess I can't go fishing anymore.  I only walked out as far as I had to in order to reach 22fow and set up my camp.  Drilled 2 holes and sat on top of some perch.  Caught a nice 14" and another 8 or so 9"'s then the rest were dinks.  Then about 2pm I had fish that I was marking and would follow the lure but couldn't get them to commit.  Walleye's maybe?  I don't know I gave up then.  Was using cast masters and puppet minnows.  The Rapala caught a couple perch as well.
Iceman we were out there on saturday when the snow started falling and I know what you r talking about the drag back was a nightmare I made a smity sled a couple weeks ago and didnt think i would need it well i was obviously wrong , used it yesterday what a big difference it made

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2943 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:50 AM »
Todays eyes, wish we could have gotten our picture taken out on the ice but artic couldn't find us as we were in a white out around 4pm. Man what a 2hr ride home
Nice fish my friends !!!!

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2944 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Hey Kowboy, Nice fish. Was that you that dragged me the last quarter mile to my spot yesterday?

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2945 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Nice job Kowboy....    :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2946 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:10 AM »
if you really want to bleed them cut the tail off thats the spine , it will drain better if hung and and slit the heart, but 16-17.5 inch eyes don't need bleeding  it is as good as it gets , do you bleed your jumbo perch to

If you cut their tail off , make sure they still measure 15 inches or they could fine you.. Don`t go doing that on a 15.5 in eye...

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2947 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:12 AM »
and that now completes my arsenal

Who on here believes that statement?  ;)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2948 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Nice job  s10 and kowboy!

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2949 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:21 AM »
Who on here believes that statement?
I don't think there's a single person out there that has said. "That's it! Nothing else needed." I could always use more rods and reels... you know as backups to the backups.

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #2950 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:38 AM »
Who on here believes that statement?  ;)
A-right!!! It's just completed for January! :woot: :thumbsup: :icefish:
Wayne W.

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2951 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:05 AM »
no I'm sticking another 6061 on it, I really like that reel ,I know they aren't cheap but worth every penny to me and that now completes my arsenal

great fish team Kowboyup

and Kingfisher you will love that Smitty ,saves a load of butt break work

Arsenal completed ?? Yes, until the Bait Monkey strikes again.....

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2952 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Anyone going out today? Once my microspikes get here I'm heading out. Hopefully they get here soon

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2953 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Nice limits Kowboy, congrats to Colleen ! I was stuck down here in Pa catching 5in.  perch and sunnys. it was painful.... LOL
Jim K.

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #2954 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Saturday was a complete bust for me as well. I took my ATV outta Lewis at sunrise on bare ice out to 40' of water, then we got 10 inches of snow.....  yup, had to push my wheeler back to shore. Thought I was gonna die. Then went back for my over-loaded shanty which snow plowed the entire way. total suck fest

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #2955 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Why did you have to push your quad back in!!, did it die, or did you not have chains on it, therefor it would not move on the snow burried glare ice?
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #2956 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:47 AM »
  Wow 12 pages just read, sounds like southshore got walloped with snow, only maybe inch or 2 new on northshore last night,winds weren't strong enough to blow if off john... wow  what a drive home, framed out the whole way, 6-8 on the roads white knuckled it 20-35mph the whole way back north...  my eyes were done after that ride, 4 out of last 5 days on the ice, just woke up from a 12 hour nap. I'll agree with everyone on feast or famine, we landed on fish on every move we made, but it was like prying a paint lid open to get them too bite after 10am, before 10am not so bad, I grabbed my limit of eyes yesterday pretty easy, but it cost me 2 hours of perchin time too do it, so when I moved for perch just caught the tail end of the bite, spent the rest of the day playing cat and mouse with them, up and down, most of the perch had empty bellies 2 days ago, these new fish we found on 2 large moves yesterday were puking up bucks and shrimp.  One of my lodgers did 3/4 's of pail yesterday I only grabbed a dozen perch and about a dozen eyes, 5-6 in that keeper size range, nothing epic just steady action, more video game playing than anything... fun 4 days out there, now its break time...  been fishin deeper ....mostly 35-39 fow.  no pictures, gave my walleyes away once back at the lodge, 3 pails of perch buried in the snow, bring em in tonight and clean them tomorrow...

Brian and his dad with a bucket and a half of jumbos and some fat eyes from yesterday.

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2957 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Hey guys.  I was out at Chapman on Saturday and like everyone else, had a tough time getting the fish to take.  Plenty of lookers, but no takers.  Now, I know that you shouldn't leave fish to find fish, but does that count when the fish are there but aren't biting after you throw everything you have at them?

We only moved around a few times due to the tough dragging with the snow on top.  I had a real tough time debating whether I should stay put and hope that the fish would turn around in the afternoon.

What do you guys do in those situations, stay or move?

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2958 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Hey guys.  I was out at Chapman on Saturday and like everyone else, had a tough time getting the fish to take.  Plenty of lookers, but no takers.  Now, I know that you shouldn't leave fish to find fish, but does that count when the fish are there but aren't biting after you throw everything you have at them?

We only moved around a few times due to the tough dragging with the snow on top.  I had a real tough time debating whether I should stay put and hope that the fish would turn around in the afternoon.

What do you guys do in those situations, stay or move?

I might be a veteran on this forum, but I'm no veteran on Oneida, but those fish from 11am to4pm were the toughest I've seen in yrs, litterlly mark 100 to get a biter.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2959 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I move till I find them. You can end up sitting there all day and they won't come.

Offline Tug Hill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2960 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Anyone found "anything" in the walleye's stomach ??? every fish is empty and 90% have been males ????
It's not how many breaths you take, but rather what takes your breath away that counts.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2961 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:01 AM »
I move till I find them. You can end up sitting there all day and they won't come.

The fish were there.  They just weren't taking.  I tried every presentation with buckeye heads, perch eyes, spikes, on every jig I had.  I was dreading the move cause we were out about a mile.  It was a great idea in the early morning cause the drag was a piece of cake.  By the time we left, there was about 4-5 inches of snow on top.  It was a good workout to say the least.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2962 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:02 AM »

I break my day up   7-930 am 930-330 then 330-5pm   that's only 2 moves if your lucky and land on them, sat I fished same 2 holes all day yesterday I made 4 moves, I never move more than 4 times if I do its gonna be a bad day and I've given up on that day looking for tommorrows mother load at that point.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2963 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Anyone found "anything" in the walleye's stomach ??? every fish is empty and 90% have been males ????

Same here, other than one mint condition perch fry that an eye puked up in my shanty. The perch have been loaded though. Bellies bursting with buckeyes, shells, larvae.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2964 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:07 AM »
If I'm sitting on top of negative fish, I try to move until I find more active ones. All depends on a few things, like weather,  if I'm on foot or on machine, and basically just how difficult moving will be. Sometimes it's just to brutal out there to move around to much.

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2965 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:07 AM »

Also what are you marking, high flyers are eyes, bottom huggers are usually dink perch or medium's, fast thin marks that go in and out are pins, fish that seem too not move 3-5 feet up are your keeper eyes, but in a bad mood, I base my move on whats on the screen, if its good marks 1-3 feet up and not biting, there not biting anywhere so why move, I wait them out.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2966 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:08 AM »

2 days of snow john, after a few key moves I just hunkered in, let the day unfold.  got too sweated up moving..

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2967 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:09 AM »
I missed this weekend, but last weekend I was getting eyes and perch alike that were puking up LOTS of LITTLE stuff!

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2968 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:11 AM »
  ohh in the same hole, nice, that's what I'm looking for, hate having too move too separate spots, I'd rather get 15 perch, with other action mixed in than a full pail, but mediums...and only perch   I'm still looking for that hole, i'll find it.

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2969 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:11 AM »

2 days of snow john, after a few key moves I just hunkered in, let the day unfold.  got too sweated up moving..

I hear ya Shane, I do the same thing in those situations....Nothing wrong with that.  There's always tomorrow!

ICE ADDICT circa 2012

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.