New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827231 times)

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • what is it ? its fighting like a submarine
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2190 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:07 AM »
fished yesterday with ok results . 30 perch 1 short eye and 9 pickerel . lots of water on the ice when I went home . left just as it was getting dark and went over a spot between the islands about 75 feet wide with a least 6 inches of water . have never seen that deep of water on top before .  as was said in an earlier post keep an eye on old holes . I have  6'' augers but a couple of my holes  were closer to 8 or 10 inches by the time I left . pretty slick chasin flags with creapers on only one boot . will see what next weekend brings.     

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2191 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:43 AM »
Nice article Fred. That's real good info to know so if your fishing deeper water, just fish for what you'll keep. After that do your C&R in shallower water so the fish don't die :)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2192 on: Jan 12, 2014, 07:58 AM »
Nice article Fred. That's real good info to know so if your fishing deeper water, just fish for what you'll keep. After that do your C&R in shallower water so the fish don't die :)

if i'm lucky in the am to get my eyes and then lucky enough to get my perch , the day is about shot but I might go in shallower and try for C&R eyes, if i'm down east might try a kill some whites if I can find a school

I have read many articles on fizzing I couldn't find the one I really wanted to post , but that was a new one for me   

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2193 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:44 AM »
I don't really know about fizzing. Sometimes I wonder after I "fizz" a perch, does it really live or just swim to the bottom and die a few days later? You should see what happens in Lake Erie where I catch perch in depths between 50 and 70'. Every one of them spits out their air bladder. Thankfully, almost all are big enough to keep. If I don't fizz a fish, it is gull food in minutes.

Offline ShaneO19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2194 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:45 AM »
and if I get a limit of perch I stop fishing for them and in deeper water 30 ft you can blow eyes up to,and I'm not just talking about pins either and if you have time hear is some interesting reading, 
http://outdoorcanada.ca/10516/fishing/tips-fishing/does-fizzing-fish-actually-save-them

Thanks, nice article.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2195 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Water is basically gone, wind isn't too bad, prob. Gusting 25-30, but except for messenger the east end is a ghost town. Maybe 6-7 guys off lewis.  Bite is slowwwww. Same hole from yest. Nada.  Lots a lookers.
Haven't found anything worth setting up shanty yet.  Iced only 3, 2shorts..... Covered almost a mile since my 1st hole. 
Holes are rotting pretty good. I'm standing next to one I could almost jump in.

Offline NORWAL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2196 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:48 AM »
fished to west Lewis pt Friday from 7:30 to 3:30 in 25 fow with a glow in the dark #3 hawger spoon tiped with  a buckeye head and iced a berbet, one keeper and one short.
RICKED WICKY- I SELL THE CIRCUS. IF YOU NEW WHERE YOU STOOD, YOU'D BE STANDING STILL.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2197 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:48 AM »

this is the one I was looking for guys ,also good read, but much shorter 
http://www.bradwiegmann.com/fish-biology/39-fish-biologist/270-venting-saves-lives-of-fish.html

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #2198 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:27 AM »

Made a video yesterday of how hard it was to get them too commit...

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2199 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Nice...    ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hildebrs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2200 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Hi everyone,  just wondering what gps everyone is using on the lake and what type of maps, or are people using there phones nowdays?  I would like to get back within a few feet of the spots I have been fishing. And if I am going buy something knowing what the bottom looks like would be nice.

Offline setterman01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2201 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:44 AM »

Cool video man! Thanks for taking the time to upload and share!
I never could read no road map,
I don't know what the weather might do.
But hear that witch wind whining,
and see that dog star shinin',
I got a feeling there's no time to lose,
No time to lose!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2202 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Nice video snag. Keep em coming bro! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It'll eat.

Offline rgizmo2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never Leave Fish to Find Fish
« Reply #2203 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Hi everyone,  just wondering what gps everyone is using on the lake and what type of maps, or are people using there phones nowdays?  I would like to get back within a few feet of the spots I have been fishing. And if I am going buy something knowing what the bottom looks like would be nice.
Well a lot of us use the navionics app on phone which in my case has been dead nuts on as far getting back to my spots. As far as bottom contours it is pretty good but you have to remember the lake bottom is always changing so what might have been in your spot las tyear might not be there this year.
Gotta Love Those Stripes !!!!!

Offline IceRanger520

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2204 on: Jan 12, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Hey man just an opinion and question...what am I looking at on that flasher?...seems hard to read and an old way to use sonar imo...I'm a bass fisherman and just use the same color eagle I use on my boat...This way you can clearly see everything???  I actually was able to read my boat graph better just from using it on the ice.....like drop shotting vertically. ...All just my opinion.....
Carl

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #2205 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:07 AM »
Well now, if Murph 20 wants to call that fish a LING, then he is correct in doing so. Cterp, you are mistaken, BURBOT, LING, LAWYER, MARIAH and GUDGEN, same fish, just different names for different bodies of water. Canandaigua Lake, they have always been called "Gudgen" They are a fresh water cod, or should I state that they belong to the cod family, ugly, yes, good eating YES.    JTP

Offline NORWAL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2206 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:15 AM »
believe me he is not a friendly guy, he has checked me a few times. Once with my 7 year old nephew, he wouldnt even acknowledge my nephew when he asked if he was a policeman. All business no smile, acted like he hated his job all three times I have ran into him.

a few years ago he gave me a ticket for fishing w\o a licence. it got thrown out cause i actually had a license, just not on me (one of the many time i had forgot it at home) now it's in my wallet on me at all times. wish i had kept the ticket for the humor of the name on it.
RICKED WICKY- I SELL THE CIRCUS. IF YOU NEW WHERE YOU STOOD, YOU'D BE STANDING STILL.

Offline NORWAL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2207 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:16 AM »
how do i post pics?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2208 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:36 AM »

nice snag that fish took 8 seconds , from hook set to hole

and don't forget R-EOC , cusk another name for those slimey leporads  ;)[burbots]

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2209 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:37 AM »
Found a few that want to play that made it worth setting up shanty. Still out here bite comes and goes still tough.
Only couple left off lewis, some on messenger have been restless for awhile.  About 1/3-1/2 of them left.
Couple guys just came out on a sled 1 hour ago. They're already heading in.
Hope their sled is a fan.  They lost shanty cover and it took off toward Verona.  They went ripping after it.
Wind had settled a bit for about 30 mins, now worse than before.  Light freezing rain/sleet stings a little.
But hey I have 2 choices be here or home doing chores.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2210 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:40 AM »

and don't forget R-EOC , cusk another name for those slimey leporads  ;)[burbots]

Check out NH boards.  Upstate guys stay out overnight targeting them.  They have cusk derbies.
Most of them don't bother with perch in fact they avoid them.

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2211 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:48 AM »
Found a few that want to play that made it worth setting up shanty. Still out here bite comes and goes still tough.
Only couple left off lewis, some on messenger have been restless for awhile.  About 1/3-1/2 of them left.
Couple guys just came out on a sled 1 hour ago. They're already heading in.œ
Hope their sled is a fan.  They lost shanty cover and it took off toward Verona.  They went ripping after it.
Wind had settled a bit for about 30 mins, now worse than before.  Light freezing rain/sleet stings a little.
But hey I have 2 choices be here or home doing chores.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2212 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Check out NH boards.  Upstate guys stay out overnight targeting them.  They have cusk derbies.

hang in there I'm home doing chores LOL , I think those fish are headed your way

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2213 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:56 AM »

just a little reminder some of the holes that flushed water all night maybe rather large so keep an eye on the younger kids
Good advice filet, HT better watch his step too  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2214 on: Jan 12, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Good advice filet, HT better watch his step too  ;D

as much as he runs around a leash and a lost kid tag might come in handy  :woot:

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2215 on: Jan 12, 2014, 12:22 PM »

I had an internship in NH one winter when I was in college. We ice fished lots of lakes up there. The locals target cusk a lot.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2216 on: Jan 12, 2014, 12:43 PM »
I had an internship in NH one winter when I was in college. We ice fished lots of lakes up there. The locals target cusk a lot.

;D I know I was one. I grew up on Newfound lake.  The bay I lived on was loaded with perch.  I walked  a mile to get over the perch to deeper water.  I used to think perch were junk.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2217 on: Jan 12, 2014, 12:46 PM »
By the way VERY cool to see about an hour ago wish I had my good camera.  Bald eagle was hanging out.  I know most have seen them on big bay but I haven't seen one on the east end before...

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2218 on: Jan 12, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Well finally packed it up, the wind got the best of me.  Got out late and brought a bud with me that hasn't been out in years.  First hole was the dead sea, made a short move and picked through the perch for a while and also a nice walleye mixed in. 

Was pretty cool on the way in to see a Snowy Owl sitting on a pressure crack as we crossed the lake.

Also, as others have mentioned, old holes and gas holes have really opened up with the warmer weather.  Hit the edge of a gas hole in front of williams on the way in, made me pucker a bit ;D

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • what is it ? its fighting like a submarine
« Reply #2219 on: Jan 12, 2014, 12:56 PM »
 27 1/2 inch slime dart 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.