New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827225 times)

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2100 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:07 PM »
 :thumbsup:
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline JackPerchSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2101 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:15 PM »

I here a lot of talk of everyone using jigging raps and jigging shad raps. Do you diehards have a preference? What size jigging raps are best? What color is best? Do you need to run a heavier rod then used for just plain jigging? I want to tune in the great bite but I have never used a jig rap.

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #2102 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:22 PM »
I here a lot of talk of everyone using jigging raps and jigging shad raps. Do you diehards have a preference? What size jigging raps are best? What color is best? Do you need to run a heavier rod then used for just plain jigging? I want to tune in the great bite but I have never used a jig rap.
  #5's have been working for me and the colors that worked today were different for me than last weekend...perch colored and glow have worked best for me...I am a ice walleye rookie but that is the only lure and size I have used and been successful on...my medium rod gets a much better hookset than my ML does...I use a 27 and 28" rod...I leave me Perch and Crappie setups at home...

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2103 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Good job huntny!  I wish I went out now!

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2104 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Good job huntny!  I wish I went out now!

Wish you were there too...it is going to be and already is really wet out there...I look forward to the next cold snap...

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2105 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:37 PM »
Nice to fish with you again HUNT. I think you had your limit before I did. Those eyes better watch out now!

It was a nice morning out there

Nice job as usual Shane!

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2106 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:38 PM »
Good job Hunt!!  ;) Shane, empty out your mailbox some....--KP @)

Thanks KP...

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2107 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Nice to fish with you again HUNT. I think you had your limit before I did. Those eyes better watch out now!

It was a nice morning out there

Nice job as usual Shane!

Still beginners luck... ;D

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2108 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Congrats to all the diehards that made it out today. We decided to stay home because of the rain/high winds forecast. Wished we had the insight that Snagger has and took advantage of the window of opportunity this morning. From here it looked like a great day with overcast, mild temperatures and little wind. Oh well...........

Nice fish everyone, Hunts two for two is impressive but now the pressure is on to keep the streak alive. Snagger nice mixed bag, some nice stripers in that pile.

Filet, yesterday was simply unbelievable for me - had a great time. Stopped by Apps and had a nice chat and some laughs with Dave and Peggy. Boy, for a small shop, Rick has just about anything you would want for Oneida except for maybe some #5 jigging raps  :o. Real nice of Rick to let you try out some lures for him - bet the eyes ran away from them  ;). If you set the hook as quickly as you removed that treble, you probably don't miss many fish. Thanks again, that could of been a big problem for me. Hats off to Rick for always providing us with great bait.

Oh and I should mention that my terrific outing yesterday was also due to using USDA Choice, Extra Fancy, Jumbo buckeyes from Apps.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #2109 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:03 PM »
nice job hunt and snagger. good seeing you again hunt and glad to meet cheeks in person!  it was the worst day of the season for me. i set up where i got the fish last sunday and only marked a couple. met up with pooch and he got his 3 eyes picking them slowly. (nice fishing with you again) i made a move just before the rain came but only got 1 big perch and a burbot. just couldn't find any biters today. i didnt mark a lot of fish either. oh well.......... there is a lot of water on the ice now and the snow is almost gone off shore. all my stuff is now covered in friggen sand too >:(. temps are not going to freeze even at night. until early next week either ??? ahhh the oneida lake skunk today. i was due.
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline LOA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2110 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:07 PM »
I think i am going to make an hour or two attempt this evening to get some fish

Offline Hookinup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release ... into the grease!
« Reply #2111 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:16 PM »
nice job hunt and snagger. good seeing you again hunt and glad to meet cheeks in person!  it was the worst day of the season for me. i set up where i got the fish last sunday and only marked a couple. met up with pooch and he got his 3 eyes picking them slowly. (nice fishing with you again) i made a move just before the rain came but only got 1 big perch and a burbot. just couldn't find any biters today. i didnt mark a lot of fish either. oh well.......... there is a lot of water on the ice now and the snow is almost gone off shore. all my stuff is now covered in friggen sand too >:(. temps are not going to freeze even at night. until early next week either ??? ahhh the oneida lake skunk today. i was due.

Don't feel bad HT. Only 1 keeper and two shorts and 1 jumbo for me today. Left when the rain got heavy...
Always remember .... they have a brain the size of a pea! How hard can it be? ???

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2112 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:19 PM »
Looks like rain over in an hour.  Time for evening bite! 

Offline jj7leaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2113 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:30 PM »
How late does Apps stay open at night?  Fishing till dark and need bait for am.

J

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2114 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:31 PM »
The fog rolled in thick around 1:00. Saw a lot of guys walking off the lake. Looks pretty wet out there. I'll be out tomorrow morn
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline LOA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2115 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:32 PM »
What water depth do you target for gills and crappy? Anyone?

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2116 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:36 PM »
The wind has picked up here at home a few minutes ago.....hope it stays under control for you evening boys!! :-\--KP @)

Also, got 29.5 for a barometer right now...am I reading that correct??

That's what I have here.

Offline minettoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2117 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:45 PM »

Well wasn't gonna fish today, but it looked like last night on the weather radars, that a dry punch of air would move in for the morning, glad I went, beautiful morning, very little wind and really warm...drove out and drilled one hole and pounded on eyes and jumbos for 2 1/2 hours, I ended up putting 16 keeper size eyes and 16 jumbos on the ice, dumped a pile more, couldn't run 2 rods, all hit jigging raps... what a morning, sky got dark and we packed up and just beat the heavy rain.Wish I could of fished that hole yesterday with the good barometer...

Snagger I beat the rain also. Grabbed my limit by 9:30...I just had to post this photo due to size of the perch. I ended with 5 jumbo's. The largest was still alive after the photo. I thre him back...it had large "warts the size of a pea all over him .....some virus or maybe cancer? Wasn't going to eat him.
When I go fishing I like to know that there's nobody within five miles of me.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #2118 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:58 PM »
The wind has picked up here at home a few minutes ago.....hope it stays under control for you evening boys!! :-\--KP @)

Also, got 29.5 for a barometer right now...am I reading that correct??

Came back and looked at priar barometer readings, My bite abruptly ended at 945 am right when the barometer crossed 29.60 level, I never do well under 29.60, Syracuse has a 29.34 now, still falling.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2119 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Fished chapman today 38 fow. Hammered the perch from 1030-1100 and then they turned on at 3 right when I had to leave. Ended with 35ish mostly 11-12" a few 13" and a lot of 9-10 I tossed back. The half hour flurry they were all caught on a plain perch jig rapp, no bait. They were inhaling it, front hook was buried to the throat.  Probably the best 30 minute run I have ever had. Ice is beautiful 11" but slick, a little snow here and there.  You do have to follow the shore line 100 yards from the pier to cross the pressure crack.

Wow nice flurry, I wished I lived closer too Chapmans.  I used too fish it yrs ago with slamboney, what a great place.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2120 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Simply could not take it any more. took a half day at work today..left at noon on the ice and fishing by 2PM. Fishing North Shore and caught a couple perch and a keeper eye to start. 4pm came an whammo the feeding frenzy started. My buddy dropped 3 large walters at the hole. I iced 5 walleyes dropped 2 at the hole. Caught 15 perch...kept 8 jumbo's> my buddy got his limit of eyes and a dozen jumbo's. He also caught the biggest burbot I ever seen...had to weight 5 pounds. The waldos' were  attaching the rap. Tommorrow will be a good day to fish the Big O

:thumbsup: :woot: :thumbsup:   Nice fish..

So many great reports what a season.  ;D

Offline obrien380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2121 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:04 PM »
Went out of taft this morning with shamanoman and what a joke undoubtedly my worst day on Oneida 1 11" perch and dumped a nice eye at the hole moved to cleveland and it was no better. Did notice shackeltons was pretty busy going to have to assume thats were the action was going on. While sitting next to the bath house at taft on my Fan Indy i did notice alot of liquid cooled sleds heading out kinda suprized me i know id never use a liquid on such a warm day with no snow cover hope nobody blew there motor today

Offline ChucknMel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2122 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:17 PM »
With the rain and water on the ice they should be fine

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2123 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:17 PM »
I'd like to get out there tomorrow but I'm not sure I will with the forecasted wind for tomorrow...

Nice going snag and hunt! Some nice looking fish  @)
It'll eat.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2124 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:27 PM »
With all the water today liquid cooled will be fine. Tmro different story without scratchers & a lot of care.
Shackleton isn't fishing any different than anywhere else, lewis either.  Just people seem to flock toward the most obvious & most accessible.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2125 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Had my best a keeper walleye day on Oneida today. First hole produced 12 keepers an 2 jumbo perch! Said "ok, thats enough,gotta find some yellows". Went deeper..more walleyes. Made another move shallower...more walleyes! Put 7 keeper limits on the ice!! Got soaked, but it was worth it. One amazing lake.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2126 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Had my best a keeper walleye day on Oneida today. First hole produced 12 keepers an 2 jumbo perch! Said "ok, thats enough,gotta find some yellows". Went deeper..more walleyes. Made another move shallower...more walleyes! Put 7 keeper limits on the ice!! Got soaked, but it was worth it. One amazing lake.

Offline obrien380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2127 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:52 PM »
With all the water today liquid cooled will be fine. Tmro different story without scratchers & a lot of care.
Shackleton isn't fishing any different than anywhere else, lewis either.  Just people seem to flock toward the most obvious & most accessible.
with taft's parking lot as full as it was i just couldnt see were everyone went figured they must have went way out to shackeltons

Offline ShaneO19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2128 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:55 PM »
         Sorry if this has been covered before but I have a concern that maybe some of you could address.  I like most of you have always noticed that perch caught from deep water often have their swim bladder come up through their mouth and their eyes bulge out.  Do any of you have insight into what happens when these fish are released?  I know they appear to swim away fine but don't know what happens when they get under the hole.  Last year I kept some perch that I tried releasing into my pond and they couldn't go much below the surface and ended up dying because of this.
         I usually only get to Oneida a few times a year but have noticed that some of the walleyes have the same thing happen to them here.  IF these fish are harmed or killed it could be a concern for those who are fortunate enough to get beyond their limit and continue catch and release fishing. 

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #2129 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Nice job today, Snagger... I got out this morning despite knowing that the weather was going to turn sour. The ride out was good, morning was beautiful actually and then Meteorologist Stormy calls and says that I got 15 minutes before it hits the fan. By that time I had already limited out (9:15) and the bite was off. Packed it in as the storm consumed the lake.....rain and fog, hope no one got lost. As far as water, there was a lake atop of Oneida Lake. Fixed my buddys truck in the lot, had a replace the alternator and battery. All of my gear was soaking wet and is now drying. Tough Tough day.

Awesome fish, Polarbear :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.