New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827217 times)

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #1650 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Hey guys,  question. Do you guys use a snap swivel to attach your jig or tie the line right to the jig itself while fishing for walleyes?? I want to use the line to the jig but worry about those teeth cutting the line as there shaking there heads on the way up. How you tie them?? Thanks

Offline redbeard79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1651 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Hey guys does anyone use tipups out there if so what do you Use for bait am thinking about coming out there this weekend.  I am trying to get the hang of Jigin. Thanks in advance for any info you guys can give me.

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1652 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:43 PM »
I was out of Constantia yesterday and lost my jacket either on the way in or in the parking lot.  If anyone found it I will gladly pay you cash to get it back.  It was an expensive military fleece.  Please pm me if you have it.  Sorry to clog the thread and I know its a shot in the dark.  On a lighter note it was the least expensive thing in my sled I could have lost.  thanks.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline Guppiekilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1653 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:46 PM »
The trout I caught came from the north shore in 26' of water on a #5 Swedish pimple it was 17 1/2'' long and had razor sharp teeth great fight and sent him/her back on his way it coughed up like 20 buckeyes

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #1654 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:47 PM »
So the guys I fish with there were 6 limits brought home between Saturday and Sunday...every single Walleye was a male...is that normal for you guys that crush them all the time...?

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1655 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:53 PM »
So the guys I fish with there were 6 limits brought home between Saturday and Sunday...every single Walleye was a male...is that normal for you guys that crush them all the time...?
Good question, I noticed the same thing.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1656 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:57 PM »
The trout I caught came from the north shore in 26' of water on a #5 Swedish pimple it was 17 1/2'' long and had razor sharp teeth great fight and sent him/her back on his way it coughed up like 20 buckeyes

That was a nice fish and good job. I also agree that it's probably an Atlantic with the Black spots with a broken up pattern (or x's). What a Lake....

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1657 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Good question, I noticed the same thing.

Only one of my take homes from yesterday was female....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline jrhsportster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1658 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:11 PM »

Nice fish, I'd say a brown almost without question, at least 3 spots there on adipose fin, regular spotting too frequent for an atlantic, the winter coloring in general leads me to feel thet way.  There are always exceptions though.  Great to see either way!

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1659 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Why did that quote me above?  Weird...I didn't write that...LOL

Offline grabthegaff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1660 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:22 PM »

Two of us limited Saturday...5 out of 6 were female

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1661 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:23 PM »

Two of us limited Saturday...5 out of 6 were female

There goes that theory...LOL  That one male you caught had the right idea... ;D

Offline 600RevX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #1662 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Same here- all females, and only 1 perch was male..My Sunday take home, Figured this thread needed some striper pics!

Wanted to get out today but the weather and thoughts of massive slush kept me home- cant wait to get back out this weekend!
Why work when you can fish?<br />

Offline jrhsportster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1663 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:30 PM »
sorry huntny30, something goofed, i think i got it corrected.

Offline perryzf81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1664 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Cool video SNAGGER.

Its funny that you did that....On saturday while I was catching 48 walleye, I was talking to my buddy on the phone and explained that "THIS FISHING IS SO CRAZY THAT I WISH I HAD A VIDEO CAMERA.".........of course I was fishing alone and my buddies have been busting on me saying that I had no "witnesses," but I think they are just jealous that they missed the hot bite. 
FISH  ON !!!

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1665 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:36 PM »
sorry huntny30, something goofed, i think i got it corrected.

LOL no worries...I knew I didn't type that... ;D

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1666 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Cool video SNAGGER.

Its funny that you did that....On saturday while I was catching 48 walleye, I was talking to my buddy on the phone and explained that "THIS FISHING IS SO CRAZY THAT I WISH I HAD A VIDEO CAMERA.".........of course I was fishing alone and my buddies have been busting on me saying that I had no "witnesses," but I think they are just jealous that they missed the hot bite.
   big fishing zack i see the seneca lake perch you have on your profile save some of those oneida walleyes for us
ml

Offline Looper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1667 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:48 PM »

Couple more uploads.

http://s647.photobucket.com/user/snagger69/media/25_zps558ef36e.mp4.html 

http://s647.photobucket.com/user/snagger69/media/16_zps52c2e7cd.mp4.html 

All of you are just awesome with these updates, videos, pics.  Thank you!

Snag, what depth are you catching those at?  Am I reading your Vex right?  It looks like you're at 5-7 feet in 26 feet of water?  Or are you just filming after already being hooked up?

L

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #1668 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:34 PM »
All of you are just awesome with these updates, videos, pics.  Thank you!

Snag, what depth are you catching those at?  Am I reading your Vex right?  It looks like you're at 5-7 feet in 26 feet of water?  Or are you just filming after already being hooked up?

L

Lowrances have digital read outs, that's correct 26-27 fow, its split screen, it sees the bottom 6 feet closer up....  Just waited 2 hrs and my last vid failed too load up on photobucket, its on my facebook page, nothing special just more shots of sonar jigging, putting the last 2 on the ice before we moved. 

that trout looks brown trout too me, the landlocks I grew up catching never had that many spots, tail looks forked because its pinched in the snow.

last 4 trips, 12 eyes cleaned ...3 males, 9 females....
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1669 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Hanging out with the old man tonight. Little bacon wrapped waldo ;D life is good...

It'll eat.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1670 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:37 PM »

Great videos Shane. If I can't catch them, your videos are the next best thing. I would like to believe if I bought a Lowrance , that would be the only difference between you and me, oh yeh, and maybe 30 years of experience eh? Nice job my friend. Still eating perch, and that ain't all bad eh? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

11th season on the ice for me, no 30 yrs here... I work hard and try hard, that's all.

perch are the best, I love them give most of my eyes away.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #1671 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Was out today from 1-3ish before I was being blown all over. Really should invest in a shanty :p on a side note...ice is clear of snow and it's gonna be colddd. Ended up with one jumbo jumbo and two coming off at the hole :/ One is better than none!

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #1672 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Just wondering what area of oneida the trout came from. It seems like every year i hear of a decent size trout being caught on oneida. They have been releasing them for quite some time yet there doesn't seem to have a population that survives. The fish that are caught are big enough that they have to be a few years old. I wonder why a few survive and the others don't

Based on the irregular borders of the spots on that fish I suspect that is a Atlantic Salmon and not a brown trout.
Plus it has a short mouth relative to the eye.
More info here on Atlantics in Oneida and ID'ing: http://www.fishcreeksalmon.org/atlantic-salmon-id.htm
Like Raate mentioned in earlier post, the volmerine teeth are the real acid test.
The club has been stocking Fish Creek with them for several years now.

PerchEyes
The tug is the drug.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1673 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:38 PM »

heres a couple very average random pics of Cayuga lake fish, top is landlock, bottom is browns. notice many spots on browns, much less and not rounded on landlock.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #1674 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:41 PM »
The Atlantic vs Brown debate is always favorite topic on SalmonCrazy.com LOL
The tug is the drug.

Offline crappiefisher311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1675 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:42 PM »
i think the reason we only see browns come out of oneida in the winter is due to water temps being cold enough for them to survive i don't think they stay during the summer probably go back up the streams and creeks I'm not a expert by any means but that would be my opinion oneida is a big lake yes but it isn't deep enough to stay cold enough for trout to survive the summer months i have heard of quiet a few caught through the ice and i personally hooked my best brown a few years back in late fall right before the ice came fishing for walleye unfortunately i cant tell you exactly how big because it broke my line at the boat when i reached down to grab it

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1676 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:55 PM »
The Atlantic vs Brown debate is always favorite topic on SalmonCrazy.com LOL

:woot: :clap:

I grew up catching landlocks, literally thousands, I filled my freezers, like you boys here fill yours with eyes and perch, they were my favorite eating fish, til I ate a walleye. I don't see the hardness in seeing the difference, yeah females can be a touch trickier , barely though...

I caught a 3lb bullet slammer landlock at north bay one yr, great fight..  thought I had a cat.

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1677 on: Jan 07, 2014, 12:05 AM »
Only one of my take homes from yesterday was female....
Cleaned 9 walleyes and a couple dozen perch last weekend.  3 females, 6 males...all with empty stomachs.
  Perch were mixed as well but their stomachs were full of various form of nutrition !

Offline stingdave9119

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1678 on: Jan 07, 2014, 12:14 AM »
that is clearly a brown trout. yes it looks like small mouth but not as small as atlantic would be. draw a straight line down from back edge of eye. if the jaw does not cross that line its and atlantic. that browns jaw clearly passes where that line would be hence its a brown trout.

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1679 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:34 AM »

heres a couple very average random pics of Cayuga lake fish, top is landlock, bottom is browns. notice many spots on browns, much less and not rounded on landlock.

They look different out of each individual body of water.  ;) If you click on that link Perch Eyes supplied above, there is a picture of an Oneida lake atlantic caught ice fishing, THAT LOOKS JUST LIKE the nice one guppy caught and released.

I really have to look on the roof of the mouth and check those vomerine teeth to ID these fish correctly. Quite a few "spring browns" caught in lake ontario are actually atlantics.  :'( :'(  I bite my tongue when I see them thrown up on the cleaning station coming off a charter...  it's too late to save them, fillet them QUICK.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.