New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827232 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #450 on: Dec 15, 2013, 12:04 PM »
pooch - what did you get for a chip?  What unit you got?  Just bought a Garmin GPSMAP 62s and a Garmin Lakes Chip.  Has pretty good detail for Oneida - but not Black Lake.  It's OK and it'll do for marking my "spots".

FFP on my nav chip I have to change the map to
Wny for Oneida to get 1' contours and Eny for black lake but it is an older chip   

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #451 on: Dec 15, 2013, 12:31 PM »
I spent a pretty penny on the Garmin and the Lake chip just to get rid of it after 1 season. You really need a good definition map for hardwater fishing. It makes a big difference. I was playing with the Lowrance yesterday and looking at Big O.....I could see every flat, hump, dip, hole. Can't wait to get out there.
cool beans there pooch. i really want to take a good look at what you bought this year. cant wait to catch up with you out on the ice. hard to belive its been almost another year already ??? ::) ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #452 on: Dec 15, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Yep - looked at Lowrance and the NAV chip - detail on Black Lake was lousy.  I can make a custom map from JPEG images and get it on the Garmin - impossible on the Lowrance.  I looked long and hard.  May be made a mistake but I know someone that will take this Garmin as a hand me down any day.  ;)  Plus I wanted a handheld.  I have a Lowrance on the boat that I move to my wheeler for ice.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #453 on: Dec 15, 2013, 01:34 PM »
cool beans there pooch. i really want to take a good look at what you bought this year. cant wait to catch up with you out on the ice. hard to belive its been almost another year already ??? ::) ;)

Can't wait, gonna get lots of ice time this year!!!!!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #454 on: Dec 15, 2013, 03:17 PM »
sounds good. lets see how the weather pans out!

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #455 on: Dec 15, 2013, 03:37 PM »
well most of the snow blew of some open water from the wind but still way ahead of the game for this time a year saw 2 eagles getting the wounded ducks and geese that were in the ice

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #456 on: Dec 15, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I was up at Gander the night before the expo, picking up a map chip....definitely was not impressed with the selection. Nothing new and not alot to look at. I learned from a few years ago to stay away from the expo as it is nothing to really talk about. The best part of the expo is getting to meet face to face with Ice Shanty Friends. They should change it to a Ice Shanty Meet & Greet, we would have more fun.
I agree pooch. Its been awhile since I have been in GM for ice fishing supplies. I am going to try and give the little shop in Bridge port some business. I have ordered from 307 and had good results. I have had it with GM.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #457 on: Dec 15, 2013, 04:04 PM »
I agree pooch. Its been awhile since I have been in GM for ice fishing supplies. I am going to try and give the little shop in Bridge port some business. I have ordered from 307 and had good results. I have had it with GM.

I enjoy buying from the little guys anyway, keeping it local.

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #458 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:09 PM »
Had a good time at the show yesterday, nice to see some old friends and meet some new ones. Good to see you Freddie and get the chance to meet HT and Coach. Like many of you, I was disappointed in the lure selection at Gander but at least they provide us with a place to meet.

Freddie - thanks for the recommendation on the lures we talked about, I really appreciate it. Wet Shoes Johnny and I are taking a ride up to All Seasons tomorrow to burn a few dollars.

DC – sorry I didn’t see you at the show. Tank looks like he’s up to his old tricks.

Offline diver173

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #459 on: Dec 15, 2013, 08:37 PM »
big bay the place to go for big gills?

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #460 on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:56 AM »
Well me and chief trekked up north yesterday and let me tell you turned into a nightmare .... Horrible weather on the way up early was the start made it there ok as we are taking the last turn in my truck I snapped my tie rod on the passenger side . In the middle of nowhere on a Sunday is hard to find anything or anyone up there to help . So what to do now screw it I said were fishing for a bit to calm down and will figure it out later. And that's just what we did jigged up a small pike and a few keeper crappie . After 1.5 hours call the tow truck and after 170 dollar town and 183 dollars to replace a tie rod and hours later we were back in business . At this point in time it's 2 pm so I figure truck should be good drive back and try to get on a evening bite . Never got on a real strong afternoon bite but we did get a few more chief had the hit hand in the afternoon . What a day sorry for the lack of pics very frustrating and expensive trip . All the more reason oneida is so nice and close ...

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #461 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:02 AM »
At least u made it home... :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #462 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Sorry I could not be of more help - I'm just not into the mechanical stuff any longer; don't have the tools or the power any longer.  I do have phone #s though.
Sounds like a tough day Jake.  Been there and done that a few times myself.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #463 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:11 AM »

sorry to hear of your misfortune that sucks ,at least you weren't wheeling down the road when it let go , glad all is well

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #464 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:33 AM »
Sorry I could not be of more help - I'm just not into the mechanical stuff any longer; don't have the tools or the power any longer.  I do have phone #s though.
Sounds like a tough day Jake.  Been there and done that a few times myself.

Thanks again for the help we tried... Much appreciated Phil :clap:

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #465 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:53 AM »
Thanks guys guess the crappie we did get will taste even better .

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #466 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:54 AM »
Back at it next weekend ...

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #467 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:04 AM »
Good info on the Garmin guys. I am leaning toward a Delorme Pn-60, it takes the navioniccs chip, but it's not cheap. Nobody local carries them though.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #468 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:41 AM »
Good info on the Garmin guys. I am leaning toward a Delorme Pn-60, it takes the navioniccs chip, but it's not cheap. Nobody local carries them though.
That looks like a really good option for Oneida.  They do not have the high def map of Black Lake though.  >:(  Fishing Hotspots Map is the only one out there that I can find.  Not sure what their Oneida Map looks like.

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #469 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:24 AM »
I have the PN60...been using it for a couple of years now. The Oneida Lake map on Navionics is very detailed....contour lines down to the foot. You won't be disappointed.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #470 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:51 AM »
I got the Fishing Hot Spots for my Lowrance last year. It's ok for Oneida but I ended up getting the Navionics on my phone for more detail.

It was nice this past weekend on Black Lake though. At least Hot Spots had some contour. Navionics had nothing.

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #471 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:22 AM »
That's suprising that the detail on Black Lake is poor.  Navionics has several versions, I will probably go with the premium chip. My friend has a navionics chip on his boat sonar unit and it has great detail on even very small Madison Co lakes. 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #472 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:26 AM »
That's suprising that the detail on Black Lake is poor.  Navionics has several versions, I will probably go with the premium chip. My friend has a navionics chip on his boat sonar unit and it has great detail on even very small Madison Co lakes.
Well, for sure; the chips available for the bigger chart plotters are different than the handhelds.  Your choice in the Delorme and NAV chip is a good one, for sure.

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #473 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:27 AM »
Slamboney....I believe you can only use the premium chip in the PN60...that is the chip I have. Just thought I would let you know.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #474 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:33 AM »
Yeah. I was surprised at the lack of detail on Black Lake. I've used it on some small lakes (Leland, Moraine, Tuscarora, Hatch) and it was fine but it stinks on Delta and Black Lake.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #475 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:14 AM »
man that really sucks jake but at least nobody got hurt and you guys made it home @)

Offline timdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #476 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Slamboney....I believe you can only use the premium chip in the PN60...that is the chip I have. Just thought I would let you know.

I have an older pn40 and it takes the premium chip as well. as you close in on the area you want to fish, zooming in closer allows you to view the 1 foot depth changes.

Offline saltyfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #477 on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:25 PM »
What I don't understand about the navionics and black lake, is if you go to the webapp for navionice (http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp), go to black lake, and click the little sonar wave looking icon in the lower left, it shows you 1 ft depth contours in some places on the lake.. but I can't find that in the software anywhere.. Any ideas?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #478 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:57 PM »
What I don't understand about the navionics and black lake, is if you go to the webapp for navionice (http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp), go to black lake, and click the little sonar wave looking icon in the lower left, it shows you 1 ft depth contours in some places on the lake.. but I can't find that in the software anywhere.. Any ideas?
Well, ain't that just nice!  That's as about as inaccurate a map as I've ever seen of Black Lake.  Hope their other maps are better.  I'm sure they are.  That's a really strange web app.  ???

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #479 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:58 PM »

Just spent 15 minutes roaming Oneida with that app, I got an older 2008 chip, it was a big help for me from 2008-2011 seasons, really helped speed up the learning process on Oneida, especially once I started bumming rides and getting dropped off out away from the walking spots, its fun just walking around and trying spots on the map......the newer chips are really detailed, this one is more detailed than mine, but I've seen one a bit better.... guess its time for me too upgrade.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.