Author Topic: Humminbird Helix ice ducer  (Read 3294 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Humminbird Helix ice ducer
« on: Aug 09, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Curious if anyone has had issues with the wider cone angle on the chirp transducer?  Considering it only goes down to 15 degrees, are you having issues fishing drop offs?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Online rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Humminbird Helix ice ducer
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2018, 09:16 AM »
I have found if you take the depth setting and change it from auto and manually set the depth to a little greater than the depth your fishing it seems to take a way the problems I have have with my gen1 helix using the ice ducer.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2018, 03:49 PM »
manually setting depth is always a good idea on a helix

never had a problem fishing on drop offs with mine, 23* cone is the narrowest mine will go

Catchin' Fish

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:11 AM »
I have the Helix 5 DI-GPS for my little aluminum fishing boat.  I am interested in maybe using it for ice fishing, but which transducer would work best and what is this chirp thing people keep talking about?  Thanks.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

gman51

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Curious if anyone has had issues with the wider cone angle on the chirp transducer?  Considering it only goes down to 15 degrees, are you having issues fishing drop offs?
    when you say drop offs it could be that your still on the slope of a drop off and your wide angle ducer is picking up the highest point on that slope ghosting whats below that.?  15 or 23 degrees cone angles are still pretty wide so there's more of a chance of that happening. my 8-20 degree on my lx7 are a very noticeable difference and can eliminate alot of false readings or interference by switching to the 8. if i happen to be on a significant slope or drop off.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:53 PM »
I have the Helix 5 DI-GPS for my little aluminum fishing boat.  I am interested in maybe using it for ice fishing, but which transducer would work best and what is this chirp thing people keep talking about?  Thanks.

"XI 9 20  ice transducers are compatible with first-generation GPS-enabled HELIX 5 series and Helix 7 series and 300, 500, 700, 800, 900 and 1100 series models.

XI 9 1521 CHIRP ice transducer is recommended for GPS-enabled HELIX 5 CHIRP G2, HELIX 7 CHIRP G2 and Helix 7 CHIRP G2N models for best performance, however the XI 9 20 is still compatible with these models."

That is right off the Humminbird website.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:18 PM »
While fishing over steep drops the unit will mark bottom as the highest point within the cone. This leaves dead spots where the sonar cant see. Not a problem exclusive to Humminbird. Sometimes turning  the sensitivity down will reduce the size of the dead zone

gman51

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2018, 06:05 AM »
While fishing over steep drops the unit will mark bottom as the highest point within the cone. This leaves dead spots where the sonar cant see. Not a problem exclusive to Humminbird. Sometimes turning  the sensitivity down will reduce the size of the dead zone
   agreed all flashers will experience this but a smaller footprint of an 8 degree will reduce the dead spots enough so that your sensitivity and or interference wont be compromised as much.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:46 AM »
"XI 9 20  ice transducers are compatible with first-generation GPS-enabled HELIX 5 series and Helix 7 series and 300, 500, 700, 800, 900 and 1100 series models.

XI 9 1521 CHIRP ice transducer is recommended for GPS-enabled HELIX 5 CHIRP G2, HELIX 7 CHIRP G2 and Helix 7 CHIRP G2N models for best performance, however the XI 9 20 is still compatible with these models."

That is right off the Humminbird website.
  THANKS!!! 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Is the X1 9 1521 compatible with the first gen Helix 5  DI/GPS?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:07 PM »
It is compatible with chirp units.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:11 PM »
It is compatible with chirp units.

Mine doesn’t have chirp

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Use the xi 9 20 for a non chirp unit.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:43 PM »
what Ice Dawg Said: XI 9 20 is what you need...……..
Marvin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.