Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Advise / Ballards  (Read 896 times)

Offline sparkee

• IceShanty Rookie
Advise / Ballards
« on: Dec 26, 2018, 11:01 AM »
Lucky enough to score a trip to Ballards over new Years--group I'm going with are first timers---looking for advise on what to bring. We are staying in a cabin & going out daily. Hate to over pack, but hate under packing also. Kinda looks to me that you don't need heavy boots & fishing suit?? Inside cabin--Bombardier--Ice house -----just wonder from those that have made the trip what you wished you'd have brought & what was a waste of space

Offline jwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Advise / Ballards
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:42 PM »
I haven't been to Ballard's, but I've been next door at Sportsman's and we are going up again in February.  Both run very similar operations from what I can tell.  You don't need to pack a lot if you don't want to.  The bombers are heated and the shacks are warm when you get there.  Jeans and a sweatshirt is all you need in the shack.  The last time I was up, I took some bibs and heavier boots with me and our guide drilled some holes outside for us.  My dad and son spent all day inside, but I would venture outside once in a while for a little change of scenery and did well.  It was quite cold that day, so the extra clothes were nice to have, but not necessary if you're staying inside. 

Good electronics is essential in my opinion.  I had one with me, but I rented a second from the lodge for my dad/son.  I would emphasize the importance of the unit having zoom.  Mine had it and was invaluable.  The rented units did not have zoom and were somewhat helpful, but not near as much.  In 32' of water and the walleyes glued to the bottom, the zoom feature was a big help.   

One item that I took on a whim that was really nice to have was a nice thick foam pad to sit on.  Most of the shacks have a plywood seat, or folding chairs, but after 8 hours, itw as nice to have some cushion. 

You'll have a blast! 

Offline fishing nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:03 PM »
jwoods, you are spot on with your advise. Also buy some adult beverages in Baudette before you get to the resort along with some snacks to enjoy during the day. 2 poles one for dead stick ( glow jig and minnow below a bobber ) Some buckshot rattle spoons, assorted jigs ( gold, pink work well ) for the other. The resort will have the last info. on the bite for you.

Offline sparkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Awesome, thanks guys!! Looks like we may have some weather on our trip up Sunday, hope it doesn't shut the bite down, been waiting for this opportunity for years!!!!

Offline jwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Yep, pink and gold we're the go to colors.  One of our best lures was a Clam rattle aoiin that was pink on one side and gold glitter on the other.  There's a well stocked bait/tackle shop right next door.  I was pretty prepared with lures, but at the end of the first day, the shack next to us did much better and the guy was using the biggest blue Tingler spoon I had seen.  I bought one at the bait shop for the next day and for some reason the fish loved it.  The more minnows I could hang from it the better.  Two or three minnows on that blue Tingler was amazing that day.  So, moral of the story is don't be afraid to change up and try something new. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.