Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Yellow Bass  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
Yellow Bass
« on: Dec 24, 2011, 02:47 AM »
I was reading the Little Wall thread and it made me wonder. Is some responsible for transplanting the yellows from some where such as clear? Cornelia has a lot of yellows and last year I caught a few at Beeds lake in Hampton. 10-15 years ago when I fished Beeds heavily, there were no yellows, ever. Just wondered if any one had any insight on this. The fish are fun to catch when they are 10-11", but 4-5" is just annoying.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Yellow Bass
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2011, 02:53 AM »
I was reading the Little Wall thread and it made me wonder. Is some responsible for transplanting the yellows from some where such as clear? Cornelia has a lot of yellows and last year I caught a few at Beeds lake in Hampton. 10-15 years ago when I fished Beeds heavily, there were no yellows, ever. Just wondered if any one had any insight on this. The fish are fun to catch when they are 10-11", but 4-5" is just annoying.

Please tell me where you are finding 11" yellows! 10" is an iowa big fish award and 14" is the state record.

We run into them sometimes on the miss river here, but usually 8-9", the normal size. VERY good eating, tastes just like a crappie.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:00 AM »
Please tell me where you are finding 11" yellows! 10" is an iowa big fish award and 14" is the state record.

We run into them sometimes on the miss river here, but usually 8-9", the normal size. VERY good eating, tastes just like a crappie.

Clear lake has some biggin's we caught a couple last year around 10 1/4", so I should have probably said 9-10" word on the street is they are catching big yellows some where in Boji.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2011, 07:58 AM »
Not the first report I've heard of yellows in Beeds Lake. My guess is the bucket biologists are to blame.  ::)

Yellow bass do taste good, and are fun to catch. But in smaller lakes they can completely take over, and you end up with nothing but stunted yellow bass. The end result of putting yellows in small lakes is often a bunch of money spent poisoning the lake and starting from scratch--this has happened quite a bit in southwest Iowa.

Maybe Little Wall, Cornelia, and Beeds are far enough north that other fish can hold their own. It would be too bad if those lakes had to be killed off, too.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:53 AM »
The fish on the right was 12 1/4"  Caught it 3 years ago.  Had 2 over 12 that year. 

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I caught about dozen over 11" last year on the IGL's and have caught several over 11.5 at Clear in years past

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:10 AM »
I think someone has a good day fishing at say Clear Lake and thinks I don't want to drive clear up there.  Or its funner catching them than cleaning them so in they go.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:16 AM »
Not to mention they look at lakes like Cornelia, Little Wall, even Pine Lake and see how good the fishing used to be.  They figure it cant be much worse than 6 inch gills and crappies, so may as well throw in the yellows too. 

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Just got done cleaning a dozen or so yellows i caught from little wall today. they are 6-8 inch average. hope they dont over take that lake as the other crappies and perch seem a bit stunted already. ice was still a good 5 or so inches on the north half. ive never eat them before but im about ready to fry some up!!  ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Just got done cleaning a dozen or so yellows i caught from little wall today. they are 6-8 inch average. hope they dont over take that lake as the other crappies and perch seem a bit stunted already. ice was still a good 5 or so inches on the north half. ive never eat them before but im about ready to fry some up!!  ;D

If you like crappie and bluegill you will like them, they taste the same. Just make sure there is no red, gray or brown on the bottom of the fillet... if so, cut it off.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2011, 12:36 PM »
I caught a good sized yellow in Little Wall about 6 years ago. So they've been there for a while.

Offline PhishinFil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I'll be there to slay late January

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:34 PM »
I can update my yellow bass sizes! I was within the state record by 2oz on TWO separate fish two years ago. Here on the Mississippi backwaters in the spring. One fish was 12.75 and the other 13". We were catching nice ones so I took my calibrated postal scale with me the next day and caught those two beasts. I figure this spring they should be records... like I'll ever see them again lol
EYECONICFISHING

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2018, 01:14 PM »
I'm toying with a trip to the IGL's on New Year's Day and thinking I'll spend some time on East Okoboji chasing yellows, it'd be my first time fishing Boji, has anybody got on em up there and is willing to offer any advice? So far all I know is I'll probably want to stay mobile to try and stay on them. Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.