The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anyone upset with all the small perch in Harpers? All the Pike Minners in Cooper  (Read 2077 times)

Offline CaptStripSet

• IceShanty Rookie
I get that harpers isnt one the last 50 places to fly fish or ice fish before you die but even several years ago I don't remember all the damn dink perch in there. It is almost impossible to keep your bait down long enough for the trout. I noticed the same thing on coopers with all the damn pike minnows. The Fwp needs to put a bounty on such species in order to maintain better fisheries.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
they can spawn pretty good.  3 years you should be catching eaters?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
harpers is a great place to take kids, catch all the perch they want, as for trout, they are all planted and fishing isn't that good.[except when the put the brooders in.] perch should be bigger in about 2-3 years.
As for coopers, all I ever caught in there are suckers, axcess sucks. that lake needs killed off and planted with bass and crappie and catfish.
To each his own, I like walleye, pike, bass, perch, ling, catfish.
Not a big fan of trout.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Not upset at all about the small perch in Harpers because as far as I'm concerned that makes it a great place for families to take their kids for some non-stop catching action !!

You mention what FWP needs to do.....Have you made your concerns known by making a phone call, sending a letter/email or talking with a local warden ?? Whether or not they would care.....that I don't know !!

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Dont ask

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
I wouldnt say that Im upset as most of the lakes around the area have perch populations in them so you kinda just get use to it.  I can say I would rather not see them in there along with many other lakes that they are in.  Small stunted populations of perch are not worth fishing, but people will keep on dumping them in where ever.  Eventually someone will dump pike in there too etc...

Id guess in the next 20 years the Flathead Valley will have a good size walleye population.  They will be like the new perch/pike/bass invasion going on in Northwest Montana.  Then give it another 40-50 years for carp, goldfish, etc. 

I love to travel, fish, and eat every fish species in this state and will 'till the day I die.  But it sure would be nice if people could just stop dumping their "favorite" species all around and just do a little traveling instead.  I sure would love to see Ling all over the Flathead Valley, but I would never stock them into any water body. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.