Author Topic: What Vexilar do I need  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Leaman

• IceShanty Rookie
What Vexilar do I need
« on: Oct 06, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Hello. I am sure this has been asked before. I’d like to apologize for that first...
So, being a 100% novice to ice flashers, I am ready to buy. Through all my research I have found that Vexilar seems to interest me the most.
Being a novice, the FLX-20 seems like plenty, but the FLX-28 seems like it has it all. Would “having it all” end up too much? Do I need it to be so fancy? I am nervous that all the “extra” may just break down one day. I’ve read all about thee red fl18 lasting forever, but I’ve read a lot of reviews about the FLX-28 transducer ruining the experience. (Those complaints are a few years old..)
I’d be fishing in the northeast, mainly NH and ME. The frozen lakes I would fish at are usually between 8-80 feet of water
So to wrap up... is the FLX-20 plenty and worry free, or would getting the FLX-28 be worry free too and totally worth it?
I figure there are a gazilion opinions, and I don’t mind hearing them all.
Thank you so much

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: What Vexilar do I need
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2020, 09:13 PM »
All vexilars are rock solid.the fl18 would be a good starter unit.the flx20 has all you need too.i have a flx28 and would almost rather have a flx20 because auto mode jumps depth settings in certain situations .ive had every model vexilar made besides the flx20.i had a fl20 tho.im running a fl22hd and flx28 these days.just get a vexilar with zoom.my fl8Se was even a great unit.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2020, 10:17 PM »
I'm currently running a fl-18 and a fl-20. and honestly I prefer the 18 because of the sun shroud. The 12 ft. zoom is nice on the 20, but I rarely fish more than 6 ft. off the bottom for the fish I'm targeting. I bought the 20 the time because it was the highest end unit they had and I was sold on having the flat screen. But after fishing outside with the 20 after a few years I "downgraded" to the 18 because of the glare. I can't really speak on the flx-20 or the flx-28 as I haven't ran either, but I am sure the are awesome flashers. I think you would be happy with whatever you decide on though because as Dr. Speckler stated, they are rock solid units. So if you you want the added features of say the flx-20 or flx-28, I'd say go for it! Whatever you decide will no doubt help you catch some fish!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2020, 03:25 AM »
If you're looking for one that just locates fish and shows depth then go with the FL-8...it is dependable and bulletproof. It will last you for YEARS. I upgraded to the FL-18 only because of the zoom feature and seems to be doing fairly well. Personally,  I don't need all of the bells and whistles of the other units. Just an FYI,  Vexilar sells refurbs at a good price and they come with a 2 yr. warranty on the unit  and 1 yr. on the battery. Good luck on whatever you decide.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2020, 04:25 AM »
The FL18 is the workhorse of the line up paired with a 12 deg transducer is a great all around choice ..the bottom zoom is great for bottom hugging fish ...low power is good for shallow weeds to cut the clutter . I prefer the round style case  and the round cases have the DD-100.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2020, 05:36 AM »

The 18 is a solid unit with 12* ducer  , as HW said I fished mine to a 100’ and as little as 6’ with no problem

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2020, 05:54 AM »
I love my FLX-20. I usually fish shallow water less than 10'. I have used it in 45 fow and the zoom zone was nice. I did not see a huge advantage by going to the 28 besides the weed mode. The flx-20 has low power mode so I'm not sure what the difference is. I was going to get the flx-12 but I wanted the 10' screen on the flx-20 and I got a great deal on it.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2020, 05:56 AM »
  The 18 is a solid unit with 12* ducer  , as HW said I fished mine to a 100’ and as little as 6’ with no problem

Hey  F&R....could you clear out your inbox? Trying to send you a PM. Thanks 😉
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2020, 08:43 AM »
let your budget decide for you....lots of other options out there for ice fishing electronics too, don't limit yourself to vexilar

Catchin' Fish

Offline Leaman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Thank you to all who have answered so far. I do appreciate it. I am so torn between the two....
Thanks again

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2020, 11:54 AM »
Leaman - this may help you decide.  This was a review of the 20 a few years ago on this site. 

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=356957.0
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2020, 11:59 AM »
If you're used to reading a 2D sonar (like on a boat) then you might consider going with a Garmin or a Hummingbird.  They will show you a traditional sonar return or a flasher, depending on your preference.

If you may take your unit from the ice to a boat/kayak then that's something to consider as well.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2020, 05:43 PM »
Started with a fl8 and used it for 3 years before i saved up and got a flx28. The deciding factor was when i was fishing in 45ft of water for perch. the guys with zoom could easily see fish on the bottom 6ft. I was looking at the flx20 but after going back and forth about 12 times i settled on the 28. I personally prefer the 28 over the 20 but that being said I don’t think there is all that much difference between the two. Good luck, either way it will be a great unit.

Offline Bull Herbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2020, 06:30 PM »
I moved to North Dakota 15 years ago. My lovely wife bought me a fl8 and a jiffy model 30 for Christmas. Both are still working as good as the day I got them. About 5 years ago I bought a refurbished fl20 from the vex store in Minneapolis. Haven’t had a single issue with either vex. Have only had to replace batteries. Both get used a lot every year.
There are two types of people. Those who are humble, and those who are about to be.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2020, 07:19 PM »
I would use anything that starts with FLX, way brighter than the standard FL vex's.  I had the FL20 for many years and sold as soon as I got the FLX28, night and day differnce on being able to see everything happening. Just my 2c.  Good luck with your search.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2020, 07:59 PM »
I would use anything that starts with FLX, way brighter than the standard FL vex's.  I had the FL20 for many years and sold as soon as I got the FLX28, night and day differnce on being able to see everything happening. Just my 2c.  Good luck with your search.

Good point, i used my 18 and let a buddy use my flx28, he couldn’t read the 18 and I couldn’t stand watching the screen on the 18. First world problems i guess.

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2020, 08:14 PM »
I upgraded to the flx28 this past year. I think it is a lot of fish finder for shallow water but it is the the bees knees and does everything. If I had to do it over again I would still get it again but it was a close toss up with the 18.  Bottom lock is Noce to have if you use it out of a boat in the summer. The best thing about any vex is if you find a good deal on a used one, you can always sell it and upgrade and usually get most if not all of your money back. There isn’t a bad choice vex.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:06 PM »
I went from a Marcum lx3 to flx20 an very happy. I wanted the zoom an ability to fish deep in deep mode.
Reeds sporting goods had a great sale 15% off. Dd100 is excellent. I fish perch an lakers. Check with Reeds an watch the sales.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.