Author Topic: snow for the weekend  (Read 3779 times)

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: snow for the weekend
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:51 PM »
Yeah, everybody go out and drill holes every 25 feet throughout the lakes! We'll have 10 inches of snow ice!
Believe me, I've thought about it.  Also saw a guy run his snowblower about 100 yards onto Swartswood once to blaze a trail for his group.
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:14 AM »
I am rejoicing on how bad the weather experts prediction was. This thing ended up about 50 miles more to the East than expected. 12-18 inches predicted for this area and it looks like in the end it will be actually less snow than what we got hit with the storm that hit us Saturday. Hallelujah!

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:19 AM »
So glad this stuff didn't hit us the way they thought. It will definitely make things a little easier for IFF!

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:26 AM »
Now time to fish!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2015, 10:55 AM »
So glad this stuff didn't hit us the way they thought. It will definitely make things a little easier for IFF!
When we schedule these tournaments its always a crap shoot.  For them to be successful we need folks to turn out and decent weather sure helps with that.  For the most part cold and even wind don't seem to bother guys that much, but throw 12" of snow on the ice and a lot of guys stay home.  It's bad enough that, because I work outside quite a bit in the winter, I have to keep an eye on the weather, now I'm constantly obsessing because it can effect the bottom line of the Paradise Club stocking fund.
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Snow shoes.I don't mind a lot of snow on the ice keeps the lazys home.You know you guys could get an ice fishing app and never leave the couch if it's too much work!

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:28 PM »
Snow shoes.I don't mind a lot of snow on the ice keeps the lazys home.You know you guys could get an ice fishing app and never leave the couch if it's too much work!
The last thing I would call ice fisherman is lazy. Ice fisherman are a hardy bunch and not weekend warriors who just fish opening day trout season. Clubs who run tournies like KDC and Paradise need good turnouts for funding so a storm like that missing us was huge. I for one will always go out but dragging a sled in knee deep snow and shoveling a foot and a half of snow for each tip up and then having to dig each tip up out of wind blown snow every half hour after that big storm last year was not fun at all. Give me cold or wind but f the snow.

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:04 PM »
Hate the snow but I'll be out there in it.  I might not travel as far as I normally would(I'm one of those "the best spot is always on the far side of the lake" kind of guys) so I'm not afraid of hard work.  I will be trying to pare down my gear etc., though.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:28 PM »
I fish a lot in the adirondaks so The snow doesn't bother me.If I can I'll take the quad makes it a lot easier to get all the stuff out there.And I wasn't calling ice fisherman lazy was calling people lazy.Put a ft of snow on the ice of a popular lake and there will be a lot less people.More ice for the real ice fisherman.

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:14 PM »
I agree, I see plenty of guys hauling a lot of gear out the in some horrible conditions.  But when it gets bad a few drop out.

Offline FishADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold Hands
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I fish a lot in the adirondaks so The snow doesn't bother me.If I can I'll take the quad makes it a lot easier to get all the stuff out there.And I wasn't calling ice fisherman lazy was calling people lazy.Put a ft of snow on the ice of a popular lake and there will be a lot less people.More ice for the real ice fisherman.

I learned about the upstate the hard way  my first time up. 3 feet of snow  and  I stopped digging a spot for the tip-ups. Those 40-up tip-ups were hardly seen above snow. Not to mention 20+ inches of ice, some slush, single digits, and snow wind.
But sitting in the cabin watching for flags with the binos, reading In-Fisherman, and putting wood on the fire made up for it.
Quite the site when the flag went up though, bit of a mad rush to run across the lake.
-DISCLAIMER-
Everything written above is entirely false. All posts were fabricated by analysing the posts of others. All pictures were stolen from the internet. I have never gone ice fishing in my life.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:42 PM »
I saw a quad with a plow on Hopatcong last week. That's a bring on the snow toy for sure

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:51 PM »
And to add I totally think the weather definitely keeps people away which sounds kind of ironic since it is ice fishing. After the snow last Saturday there were around 68 people for the KDC contest. I remember one year it was like 45 degrees and there was like 150 entrees. Did The snow keep people away? I'm sure it didn't help but there are definite other reasons for that kind of turnout.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:05 AM »
http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/zmw:07849.1.99999 High pressure building fast tomorrow followed by a fast drop with snow behind it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.