Author Topic: Sunday Storm  (Read 1853 times)

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
Sunday Storm
« on: Dec 25, 2010, 05:42 PM »
With the impending storm we are supposed to be getting tomorrow, how do you think it will affect the ice? Last I hear we could get 8-12 up here in Sussex County. Also, who's getting out before the storm hits?

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
Re: Sunday Storm
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2010, 06:06 PM »
We have a pretty solid base up north so I don't think we will lose to much. Might become sloppy though and tougher to pull a sled!

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2010, 06:45 PM »
In the last ten years sites like the weather channel went for the sensational over the serious. Weatherguru is still good as far as science and forecasts go.

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:42 PM »
Weather channel sucks. Im subscribed to weatherunderground. 10-16 in tomoro. Merry plowing all ha ha 

Offline ekozlo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Hi all
Well i guess the weatherman is calling for a lot of white stuff?
I was looking into going to the the pond ?? But with this stuff going is not a problem but getting back to union county could be a real killer! I wanted to try out my new walking stick !!!!!
Well somebody holler back if your going to the Mt- pond? thanks ed kozlo

Offline ekozlo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Hello all
Well i think i'll stay here in union county! The weather and rt 80 and snow will not mix well with all the shoppers rushing around! I'll pass not going!!
So if anybody is going stay safe and enjoy , i have to pass on this sunday morning due to that white junk!
Well try another day!! thanks ed kozlo

Offline outcold990

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:20 AM »
I'm planning on going to mt hope pond too but just like you said it will be fine getting there but kinda thinking how it will be going back home on to Bergen county

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Fished a couple hours today. Nothing touched the fatheads and jigging was real slow. Northeast winds aren't worth fishing.

Offline FearNoFish27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:05 PM »
fished Round Valley swimming area Sunday. can't believe no one has been on there. one set of five holes that were there on Thursday. had the place to ourselves. 12 flags, 5 pickrel (19-21 ins.) and one small Bass (11 ins.) fished till 1:30 after the rangers kicked us out because they were closing the park
If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:37 AM »
put that auger to good use
how thick was the ice? :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:48 AM »
With the impending storm we are supposed to be getting tomorrow, how do you think it will affect the ice? Last I hear we could get 8-12 up here in Sussex County. Also, who's getting out before the storm hits?
Hopefully the wind will blow off most of the snow AJ.
:icefish:

Offline FearNoFish27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:37 AM »
solid 5.5-6 ins. on the north end Jim. got lucky with the snow, only around 4-5 ins. here
If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keepin it on the dry side since 2000
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:52 AM »
Rode my snowmobile on the road 45 miles last night.  now its time to go fishing again  :tipup:

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2010, 12:09 PM »
rode my snowblower this morning
now its time to go fishing :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Got maybe 6" here in Mansfield tops. Was at the state park at the beginning of the storm...stuck in some of the rough patches but as getting blown off all th smooth ice.

Offline ekozlo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Hi All
I wished lived where there was only afew inches!
Down here we caught about 30-32 inches of that junkin union county nj !
Well i guess i'll be stuck in house for awhile waiting for some equipment!
Enjoy and keep fishing one day i'll get there????
                                thanks ed

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2010, 02:09 PM »

Here in Bergen we got about 2 feet and with wind drifts I had spots near 5 feet.  :%$#!:

I'm hoping it wasn't that bad out in Sussex County.  ???

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2010, 02:33 PM »
with the temps expected to warm by the end of the week to near 50 will places like Lake Hopatgong St park that already have fishable ice still be good? or will the melting snow also melt the ice.. last time i cheked looked like 3 or more day in the mid to upper 40s at the end of this week. I am still new to the sport so just curious what effect the snow will have. from reading around on some posts seems like it is not a good thing??? I wanted to fish either monksville or Lake hopatcong on Thursday but not sure what it will be like then. I am thinking it should still be good even if is starts warming up Wednesday...

Any one esle have any opinions? I guess it makes sense that mid 40s are never good for ice making..

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2010, 03:10 PM »
with the temps expected to warm by the end of the week to near 50 will places like Lake Hopatgong St park that already have fishable ice still be good? or will the melting snow also melt the ice.. last time i cheked looked like 3 or more day in the mid to upper 40s at the end of this week. I am still new to the sport so just curious what effect the snow will have. from reading around on some posts seems like it is not a good thing??? I wanted to fish either monksville or Lake hopatcong on Thursday but not sure what it will be like then. I am thinking it should still be good even if is starts warming up Wednesday...

Any one esle have any opinions? I guess it makes sense that mid 40s are never good for ice making..

Check this thread out for your answer.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=165731.0

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Thanks FishGalore... i actaully saw that one right after I posted.... I am starting to get a feel for how things effect the ice but it is still relatively new to me and I live out in Jersey city so the climate can be a lot different here than out where most of the lakes are that I fish... HAve only been ice fishing for a few years and now  an am still learning about how all the different factors effect the ice... Like if it is in the 20s every night and in the mid to upper 30s every day for a week does that effect the ice or does it cancel out because it is so cold at night. I assume wind, sun etc play a role too but being new i always stay on the cautious side... Would love to make my first trip this comming Thursday and from my limited experience i think it iwll be possible but was just looking for some reassurance from some of the guys with a little more experence.

Thanks! :tipup:

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:27 PM »
You can always count on slop and lots of water when you have 6+ on top of the ice. The snow will slow or stop the ice from building and make for lousy conditions. I'm up here in Sussex and we got 8-9. My sister in Brooklyn has a seven foot drift in her driveway which is 10 feet wide and sits between 2 two story buildings. I have been offering my old snow-blower to her and my brother for years, this just might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Wind can only blow so much snow off of ice, or into open water. If a lake is locked and and you get a foot of snow, just where might that snow blow to???? It's got to end up some place, and most often it's on the ice, not in giant drifts next to the lake. But hey, that's just my take on it.

Offline ekozlo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:44 AM »
Greetings
Well the white junk is cleared a little down here time to go fishing! Looks like friday will be a good day to go up the the mnt pond and on sunday again!!!!
Tony R  'get your sled ready, will be fishing tomorrow early till whenever and sunday !!!
Have to try out a new suit and warm boots cleats!!
Too everybody out there and your families  please have a Happy &  Healthy  New Years    enjoy!
Stay safe Fishing where ever and when ever!!     thanks   ed kozlo     :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.