Author Topic: Worms on tip up  (Read 6838 times)

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beer making the world a better place
Worms on tip up
« on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:15 AM »
Any one ever use worms on a tip up for bait instead of a shinner Just to change it up a bit or maybe power bait ??????

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
Re: Worms on tip up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Any one ever use worms on a tip up for bait instead of a shinner Just to change it up a bit or maybe power bait ??????

I did read about some guys doing this last year and it was effective.

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Some guys next to me last year had some good action on a tip up but never went to it with a shiner pail they just reset and went about there way then they had a tip up again they where getting trout or small salmon and the water we were fishing is more for trout than bass or such they beat me 2 to 1 or more for flags

Offline JimB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone thinking
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Used worms last year,to try for some trout with no luck.A couple day's later tried them on a bass pond and caught a ton of blue gills and big sunfish. 

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2010, 11:06 PM »
here in Wyoming, you can only use minnows on certain bodies of water. On all of the trout ponds within a reasonable drive from my house, there is no minnows allowed, so i use a night crawler on a tip up regularly. Ive gotten mixed results with it.  Some decent fish but slow in general. (same with powerbait on my tip ups)  In general since these same ponds (and most of Wyoming) allow only 2 lines at once i usually have a tip up w/a night crawler going while i am jigging a jig head w/half a mealworm. The jig/mealworm out catches the tip up with the worm 10-1. 

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2010, 08:05 AM »
I use crawlers/worms on about 50% of my setups.  Some days they outfish shiners by a wide margin.  Other days shiners are better.  Over the years I have noticed that I get more brook trout on worms, browns prob about 50/50.  I tend to get big yellow perch on full size crawlers.  All this being said, a #8 jig tipped with a meal worm catches more than everything else combined- all species, warmwater included.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2010, 09:28 AM »
I have caught a lot more trout on tipups rigged with a jig packed with waxworms than rigged with a fathead or rosie red minnow. Powerbait will work for certain species like trout however you don't want the kid that floats.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2010, 07:33 PM »
You can use real or artificial worms for fishing.

They seem to work better on tipups like the Windless, where the wind puts a little action into the bait.

Another place that they work is when you have a little current to keep the bait flipping and turning around.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2010, 08:12 PM »
I have had great luck for hornpout at night with Crawlers.
Allan

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2010, 08:25 PM »
I have had good luck using waxies for gills.

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2010, 05:54 AM »
I almost never use powerbait but have use crawlers when targeting trout. I have had very good success, sometimes outfishing minnows when using them. Just don't leave them out exposed too long, I have had them freeze!

Offline hrlyridr77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2010, 05:59 AM »
Had some good luck with Perch on crawlers. When we have a crowd fishing together we mix it up, about even. A couple places do good with worms on tips for trout too.
 :tipup:
Sometimes it's not about the fish, but about the fishin'

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2010, 03:04 PM »
I tried using spikes.  It was very productive for hornpout, even caught an occasional bass.

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2010, 06:52 AM »
Thanks for all the great info guys I will have to give it a try this year

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2010, 12:37 PM »
I figure that as long as you have an appropriate hook, then worms on a tip-up should do fine, provided the fish are actively feeding.
I have used worms on jigging rods, suspending them just below the ice for trout, or deeper for panfish.
On tip-ups, you may have to tweak the tripping mechanism if the fish bite lightly, but otherwise you should be fine.
Depending on where I fish, I will mix my rigs so that I use tip-up and jigging rods, with minnows, worms or just micro jigs.

Few things beat catching a 2-4 lb bass or 20"+ pickerel on a 1" micro tube on a 1/16 oz. jig. and 2lb. test!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline CTPikeFerret

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2010, 03:08 PM »
Tend 2 get some brown trout on crawlers every year but i mostly fish shiners
Member CT Fisherman
The Boys Annual IceFishing Trip 8th YR 2011

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:53 AM »
I use nightcrawlers on tipups all the time.  Works good for trout and most anything else in the area.

Offline fishinaround

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:58 AM »
I have heard of fishing crawlers just under the ice for rainbows and salmon. I was told that the fish will pin the bait against the under side of the ice. Probably work with shiners too.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Conster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:17 PM »

I caught this brown on a nightcrawler on a tipup...

Hey is that Goose Pond?

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Wow I'm surprised so many species caught on worms.

I saw a video once on youtube (one of those 'how to ice-fish'es) and the guy was using crawlers on what looked like a quasi-mill pond. It was hilarous he would set a tip up and while walking to 1 of the 3 that were up the ones he would set would pop up in the background.  The guy must have caught 20 fish in 10 minutes (all very small perch and 'gill) but he was running around like a crazy person.

I said I'd never try that.

Maybe I will! LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.