The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Best cordless drills  (Read 17128 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Best cordless drills
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:31 PM »
Rigid 18v with Clam Plate 6" auger.  Cuts ice like butter easily will do 30-40 holes on one 4.0ah battery.  Think you can get one on sale with a impact at Home Depot right now with bonus battery or tool.
Was already looking at that offer. $279 Plus tax and Free Tool Or Battery.  Just ordered it and got a free extra 4ah battery.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:32 PM »
CPO is the company I just dealt with. Will never go threw them again. But Thanks anyway.

Sorry to here that ...I bought a refurbished bare tool DeWalt 995 from DEWALT FACTORY OUTLET several season back ..took off the chuck for Gen 2 Clam Plate...just recently bought another non chuck removal plate reapplied the chuck..working just fine ..the newest model DeWalt 996 has up the UWO of torque .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2017, 04:27 PM »
Milwaukee 18 fuel 4ah, 6" lazer auger drilled 50 holes thru 2' of ice on one battery! !

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Rigid 18v with Clam Plate 6" auger.  Cuts ice like butter easily will do 30-40 holes on one 4.0ah battery.  Think you can get one on sale with a impact at Home Depot right now with bonus battery or tool.
What auger are you using with your setup?
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:08 PM »
i take my ridgid tools that need new batteries to a private authorized service center. they want all of your tools and batteries and go thru all of it for free. they change parts that don't need changing because they have been upgraded since you first bought your tools and the same with batteries even tho they don't need replacing. or they replace parts that are known to wear out, but take care of them before they wear out. it's great knowing they have your back for the rest of your life.

all you have to is register all of it with ridgid. you get a customer id pin. the pin is all they use to take care of you. you do have to wait and the better they are the longer the wait.

home depot may charge a 35$ deposit to cover shipping in case your tools are not covered by the warranty for some reason. maybe if you cracked the casing or what ever. that's why it's best to use the small independent shops that are authorized.

my main auger is a 6" lazer. i have two of them and a mora (freebe, don't even know the size) and a 4" lazer. no plate needed at all. you can always overlap holes if you want bigger. you can even make a triangle or box if you need it extra big.
just lift the unit up some just before breaking thru the ice if it tries to hang then.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Bought myself a ryobi from HD. The buy a tool pick a tool deal.
I have old Ryobi blue tool set but was down to one battery and small impact drill.
For $149.00 it's a 750 torque, brushless with side handle and a 4.0 battery.
For my free tool, they offered 2 more 4.0 batteries.
So, one drill and three 4.0 batteries for $149.
Glad I didn't buy extra batteries for full price last month.
Question, I read somewhere but couldn't find it. Best for ice holes, torque 1 or 2 setting? Feels nice well balanced. Now waiting for my adapter.
Cheers

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:23 PM »
I have old Ryobi blue tool set but was down to one battery and small impact drill.
Question, I read somewhere but couldn't find it. Best for ice holes, torque 1 or 2 setting? Feels nice well balanced. Now waiting for my adapter.
Cheers
#1 setting is more torque.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Cheers

Drill model not Hammer mode....lowest setting 1
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 31, 2017, 05:20 PM »
Cheers

I did the exact same thing. I have a handful of Black and Decker stuff for around the house in their Matrix line. It's handy for small jobs but not enough to run an ice drill. I wanted to add a drill/auger set up to my arsenal for early ice and when I have to walk on because certain bodies of water near me prohibit vehicle traffic. 

Weighed the options and yeah, a Milwaukee, Rigid, or Dewalt would've easily fit into my budget but the selling point for me on the Ryobi is that they have more other things in their 18v line up that myself or my wife would use. It would be dumb to get a stand alone drill that is dedicated to an ice auger and then get another brand to cover the stuff we would need/use.  Checked the specs on this drill, they matched what was needed, got the drill and three batteries in that "free tool" deal. I never intend to put it on a "big" bit...6 inches will do so I grabbed an Eskimo with shaver blades when it was on sale. Throw in a Clam Plate and extension and away I went. When I can drive out the gas auger gets used. For walking this thing is a pretty slick set up. 

One one 4amp battery I drilled around 70 holes through 8 inches of ice in single digit temps. With three batteries of the same size that's quite a few inches of ice I can go through. So...I get it...the Milwaukees, Dewalts, etc. are good drills. No arguments there...but you don't need to spend that type of coin as long as you pair the drill torque specs up with the bit you are trying to turn. I could go out and buy a much pricier "name" drill and kill it with a big bit. What's the gain there? Pay closer attention to the specs of the tool than the name. You'll be happy if you are smart about how you pair everything up. 

Offline FreaknFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:48 AM »
I have the Dewalt flexvolt. The thing will flip your car over  ;)

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:49 AM »
I have the ridgid brushless paired to a 6inch nils
Works great.

My buddy has a fuel and a 8inch kdrill, very nice setup

I went with ridgid because of the warranty.

Now the ridgid is sitting in my basement because i picked up a 40v strikemaster that delivered yesterday.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:04 PM »
I went drill shopping at Home Depot and was looking at the ridgid. Salesman told me that the lifetime warranty is only for the low amp hour batteries that came with it , not the additional 5 amp hour ones. I went with the Ryobi brushless and 4 amp hour lithium + batts. Clam plate , no gearbox, 5 1/5 6” finn bore. Drilled about fifteen holes this morning in 9-10 in ice with no issues. Still showed a full battery but took about 15 minuets to top it off.

I know the big name cordless tools are no doubt better but the Ryobi may be a decent low buck alternative. The extra money got me a good sounding blue tooth hybrid stereo, hybrid fan and a led light. If it turns out to be a POS I’ll admit it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:14 PM »
It depends on which drill you buy. I bought the Hammer Drill with the impact kit that came with 4 amp h batteries and I got a 3rd 4 amp h battery for free. $279. I'm sure you will be happy with the one you got though.
<===Lefty===

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:03 PM »
I have the New brushless ryobi with the 3, 4ah batts.
It has a setting for hammer also. $149.00. Best deal ever since I have a poop load of older blue ryobi tools and recently minus a drill/driver and was down to 1 small batt.
Amazed of the longevity of those batts even with temps in the low teens.
Last time out, about 20 holes in 13". Still showed 4 bars of juice the next morning after it spent the night in the car at -3.
No complaints. Like the side handle. Lays nice on ice with battery up off ice.
Thought I'd rubber band a freezer ziplock bag over batt and let it get solar heated. No freaking need.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Milwaukee 18 fuel 4ah, 6" lazer auger drilled 50 holes thru 2' of ice on one battery! !
.     That’s over 1100” ice, u hold the record, have heard of 600-700” but never that much, I have the exact same set up!!

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:16 AM »
I got ~750 inches with a cold battery in my Ridgid Gen5x and a 4ah battery a few days ago. (6” mora with so so blades) Not bad for the battery being charged a week ago and sitting outside all week! Temps were around 0F when drilling. 45 holes in ~17” of solid hard black/clear ice, I coulda got more, but it kept cutting out a couple times before I broke through on the last couple holes, so I called it quits. Pretty happy!

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:59 PM »
It has a setting for hammer also. $149.00. Best deal ever since I have a poop load of older blue ryobi tools and recently minus a drill/driver and was down to 1 small batt.
Last time out, about 20 holes in 13". Still showed 4 bars of juice the next morning after it spent the night in the car at -3.
Thought I'd rubber band a freezer ziplock bag over batt and let it get solar heated. No freaking need.
I would pull the trigger on that deal in a moment but currently they are out of stock on the extra batteries and I am not really interested in the other bare tools.
We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Offline dipNrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Anybody have any issues with the Ryobi 750 in-lb torque drill. I bought mine and using with an 8” Eskimo silvertip.
  I have it in drill mode and 1 setting but it seems to cut out while drilling. I’ll drill, it'll cut out, I release trigger, then it will drill fine, but then will repeat a couple times. Doesn’t get hung up much on the punch through and goes very quickly even with the hiccups. Just seems odd when it cuts out.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Mine is better than fine. Sorry to hear your having trouble.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:23 PM »
Anybody have any issues with the Ryobi 750 in-lb torque drill. I bought mine and using with an 8” Eskimo silvertip.
  I have it in drill mode and 1 setting but it seems to cut out while drilling. I’ll drill, it'll cut out, I release trigger, then it will drill fine, but then will repeat a couple times. Doesn’t get hung up much on the punch through and goes very quickly even with the hiccups. Just seems odd when it cuts out.

Your asking a lot from a 750 in/lbs drill turning an 8 in drill unit .

Offline dipNrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:32 PM »

Just curious if it’s the drill/torque or me? 
  I bought it Home Depot so if it won’t work I’ll return after the season and get either mud mixer or the m18. If I can’t use it with an 8” auger then with have to look for new powered auger

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #52 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Do you need an 8 in hole? ..w/6" drill unit you should be fine ...I ended up going with 8 in Kdrill ..Clam Plate ...and a Dewalt 995 ...so far so good ...this was an upgrade from  SM 6" Lazer..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:54 PM »

How so?

Milwaukee use to only be 725in/lbs and turned an 8in fine.

If it is 750in/lbs and Brushless he should be good to go!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:02 PM »
yep i've got 4 hard years on my old milwaukee with an 8" finbore, still going strong...and apparently the ice gets thick up here.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Might want to put a Level on the system. To avoid drilling at angles. Angles=Binding.
<===Lefty===

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 19, 2018, 02:07 AM »
Helped some guys out a few weeks back by putting their 8 inch mora on my Clam plate. They were struggling cranking by hand. My same Ryobi as the one mentioned above would cut out as well which seemed a bit odd at first. Then I looked at their blades. I think they tried to drill a hole in gravel with those things.

I usually have mine on a 6” flat blade Eskimo but have used it with my 7” lazer. Both work just fine but sharp blades are essential. Not just with this Ryobi but with any drill.

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Mar 26, 2018, 01:50 PM »

My Kobalt 24v's chuck just snapped off yesterday......... Was drilling through about 2' of ice on Superior and halfway through my last hole just snapped. Going to Lowe's tonight to see if I can get a new one. Hopefully the 5 year warranty on it will actually work (might omit that I had an ice auger on it  :whistle:).

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Mar 26, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Well that is a bummer. I would guess it was a weak mold. Hopefully the new one will last longer. I am sure it would have done the same thing drilling with a 1" bit through steel.
<===Lefty===

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 27, 2018, 12:44 PM »

Buyer beware. The batteries are terrible below 5 Fahrenheit and the casing of the drill is starting to come apart on mine after less than 300 holes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.