Author Topic: flotation gear  (Read 1572 times)

Offline KJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
flotation gear
« on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:34 PM »
how many of you wear some type of floatation gear when icefishing? either early/late season, always or never?
kjb

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
Re: flotation gear
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2007, 02:32 PM »
its probably a great idea, but i have never worn a floatation device while ice fishing.  i go when its safe and end when it safe........and stay away from areas that can be tricky. i also try to stay on lakes that i am familar with.
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline chowdah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2007, 08:15 PM »
early in the season when I'm the first on  a body of water I definitely wear a life vest with my ice picks handy. Also have a throwable boat seat cushion w/rope in the back of the truck. Better safe than sorry. After I have determined that the ice is good I don't wear a vest.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2007, 08:20 PM »
early in the season when I'm the first on  a body of water I definitely wear a life vest with my ice picks handy. Also have a throwable boat seat cushion w/rope in the back of the truck. Better safe than sorry. After I have determined that the ice is good I don't wear a vest.
[/quot

Do you were it under all your clothes or over the top? It seems like it might be very confining

Offline chowdah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:23 PM »
I wear it under my jacket, it actually is comfortable but it is a hunting/canoe style not a regular or water ski type. the shoulders are mesh and the floatation is around the belly and back. It keeps ya good and warm too.

Offline DeepcreekIcer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2007, 06:42 PM »
I wear one.  I learned a very valuable lesson when I was in college....about 20 years ago.  My roommate heard about "ice breaker weekend" sponsored by a rafting company in West Virginia.  It was there idea to recruit college kids for summer river guides.  There idea was that you had to be serious about the job if you were willing to raft in February.  We rafted and dumped the boat over a falls.  I swam about 20 yards and my arms and legs locked up.  My mind said swim....my body wouldn't move.  The boat behind us plucked us out of the water.  You don't have long in ice cold water. 

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2007, 07:52 PM »
i have a inflatable pfd i wear when I'm flyfishing it works good know to because it small

Offline Tailgunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2007, 02:58 PM »
I'm with you Chowdah...A throwable boat cushion and good length of rope in a duffle bag, ready to use.  Does not weigh much or take up much space and you can wing that thing a mile..............

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.