Author Topic: Ice Rescue takes the Duck to the hospital  (Read 2143 times)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice Rescue takes the Duck to the hospital
« on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:50 PM »
It is already on WMUR's website but here is the scoop.

I got off shift at 6am this morning with the Rindge Fire Dept. I was supposed to be on the road for Berlin but things changed quick.

Around noon this morning I was turning in my dept issued gear.  While handing in my gear, the dept was toned for a poss. drowning/person fallen through the ice 500' from shore.  I looked at the officer (the only other fire fighter there) and said get in the suit and I will drive.  We got to the scene to find a woman about 500' from shore and there were two canoes out there as well that she was holding onto.  My officer was the first on the ice and I was suiting up myself.  I made it 50' from shore and the ice started to crack. I am 220 + all the gear I had on.  My partner was out to her and I made it out as well but went through the ice.  We got her up into one of the canoes. I swam beside the canoe breaking the ice to make it easier to pull the canoe. The ice finally go thick enough that I was able to get back up on the ice and drag the canoe while my partner pushed. 

Just as we got to shore, I got dizzy and felt ill.  My Lt. looked at me and told me I had to go get checked out in the ambulance.  They looked at me and said you are going.  While en route to the hospital I vomitted copias amounts of fluid.  That bought me an IV and a 1,000 bag of saline.  I was in the hospital for observation for about an hour or two but am back out. 

This woman was trying to save her dog. She admitted to knowing better because she is a water rescue trainer!

Goes to show you that the ice might look good, but it still is a little early to venture far from shore.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Rescue takes the Duck to the hospital
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:20 PM »
Scary stuff! Thank God you both made it out...  :o I've been there before but without any help from brave souls like yourself, my heart still pounds when I think about it.

What about the dog?

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:27 PM »
Wow, glad you're okay.  Are you a volunteer or full time at Rindge?

Poor decision making at it's finest.  It's too bad she chose to risk others' lives.

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2007, 05:04 PM »
I heard about that today, but the story I heard was she drowned trying to save her dogs and the emt's brought her back after she'd been in about an hour.

Now I can set the guy that told me straight in the morning.
Either way its good you guys came out of it.
Like another recent post, its amazing how many people do stupid things not realizing what the people that come to help might have to go thru. Obviously crap does happen, but if you know its risky then you should be avoiding it.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2007, 05:11 PM »
Wow, no wonder I didnt see you tonight in Berlin!!  I hope you are feeling much better.  Glad to see that your hospital stay was brief.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2007, 05:59 PM »
Scary stuff! Thank God you both made it out...  :o I've been there before but without any help from brave souls like yourself, my heart still pounds when I think about it.

What about the dog?

The kicker of the story was that the dog was out of the water and in the house before we even arrived!  The true rescuers were the 16 year old boy and a neighbor who both took canoes out and held her head above water until we arrived!  I was a call fire fighter/emt with rindge but I am now a f/t emt in berlin

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2007, 01:56 PM »
glad to here everyone was ok......

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2007, 02:12 PM »
What did you get sick from Duck??  Did you inhale water or something?

Anywho, glad everyone got out OK.

Offline salmon-egg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Good job Duck. Glad all is good. :tipup: :tipup:
<br /><br /><br />

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.