Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75951 times)

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Better yet just type in your browser Brand x-y-z problems!
Oh wait a minute they ALL have problems if ya look, especially when they are used for what they are not designed for. :whistle:

what are they designed for then.  paper weight. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Right.im thinking its not guys different augers combos at all.its different ice conditions.i was on the same lake with same auger and yesterday the ice was hard and the drill worked great besides the fail to start.today the ice was mushy in some spots and almost double layer and it cut out a bunch of times.drill not hot either.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
what are they designed for then.  paper weight.
By reading some of these posts some feel that way.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
I traded mine it for the m18, problem has been fixed...

Just sayin
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
Went to test set up today. 7 inch strikemaster lazer auger, mounted on clamplate ,with extension. Local pond had 2 inches of cloud ice and about 4 inches of hard stuff. Standing on dock about a foot above actual ice. I cut 10 holes as fast as I could.
Three times I had to reverse to get auger back up. The Ridgid Octane had no cutouts and actually no problems whatsoever.
I tried starting the drill high , resting upon the ice. Slow start and fast start. Every time it ripped right through.

To prevent drilling at any kind angle. I have bolted on a bullseye level. So that I am drilling at 90 degrees to the ice every time. Don't know if that helps but it certainly did not hurt anything.

With all the posts about troubles being had. Was concerned I made a bad investment. Not so thing passed with flying colors and with a 6 AH battery. Which still indicated full charge at completion of test.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Went to test set up today. 7 inch strikemaster lazer auger, mounted on clamplate ,with extension. Local pond had 2 inches of cloud ice and about 4 inches of hard stuff. Standing on dock about a foot above actual ice. I cut 10 holes as fast as I could.
Three times I had to reverse to get auger back up. The Ridgid Octane had no cutouts and actually no problems whatsoever.
I tried starting the drill high , resting upon the ice. Slow start and fast start. Every time it ripped right through.

To prevent drilling at any kind angle. I have bolted on a bullseye level. So that I am drilling at 90 degrees to the ice every time. Don't know if that helps but it certainly did not hurt anything.

With all the posts about troubles being had. Was concerned I made a bad investment. Not so thing passed with flying colors and with a 6 AH battery. Which still indicated full charge at completion of test.

Leave the setup outside for an hour in temps around 10-20 degrees and then try the test again.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Mine worked great at 10 holes too.after 200+ holes you will have either a fail to start or cutout im betting.even with a few glitches here and there im happy with its ice shredding performance with a 8” mora.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
 I did some testing today.   
&feature=youtu.be

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I did some testing today. 
i wouldnt be happy with that drill.mine has cutout but ive never had to take the battery off.mine never gets warm either but im only drilling about 8” of ice.i know my drill cuts out while cutting soft ice then hits hard good ice but thats expected because of a slight bind.its great to use a drill but i wont ever get rid of my jiffy.ice almost 2ft is going to be hard on any of the drills.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dtro have you tried same thing with a nils 8 inch see how many holes you get?? Compared to that of the 8 inch k drill??  Our ice here is no way 21 inch maybe 8 or so max inches.. I am wondering if it's strain on drill?? And it's not cooling off?? Cause we're smelling a little electrial burn smell..  when it cuts out some times.. my smaller drill had a smell when I put the 8 inch nils on it.. I am wondering if it's load on the drill or some thing similar..  that causes the circuit to trip?  if you noticed you got around 8 holes before it shut off?  then got one extra after resting it..  I am thinkin temp related??  Cause of extrem load like the the motors not cooling fast enough??   Could try it again and let drill sit 30 minutes between see if you get more holes.. then the last video after it trips.. I wonder if they under sizeds the cooling fan?? That's in the motor??

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you guys want to cool your drills off you should run them without a load for a little bit, that way the integrated cooling fan can work. Just stopping for a second and going again isn't cooling them down.. Just run it with the bit off the ice..

<°)))>{

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
If you guys want to cool your drills off you should run them without a load for a little bit, that way the integrated cooling fan can work. Just stopping for a second and going again isn't cooling them down.. Just run it with the bit off the ice..

<°)))>{
Sounds like a good idea.
<===Lefty===

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac

<°)))>{

You get what I am saying good point!!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
I had yet another flawless day on Lake Winnebago with about 2' of ice. :-)

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
get the 9 amp hour battery and it should fix the issues. fyi I have the Ridgid sawzaw and it will cut out if I really work it and it heats up...no biggie wait 2 seconds

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
get the 9 amp hour battery and it should fix the issues. fyi I have the Ridgid sawzaw and it will cut out if I really work it and it heats up...no biggie wait 2 seconds

As I showed in the video I posted,   I have the 9ah battery, and also you can see that once it starts cutting out, it keeps happening over and over so its more than just waiting 2 seconds.  In fact I waited an hour the other day and it didn't help.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
 My Ridgid Octane with 9 amp hr battery has a around 1500 holes punched with a 8" Nils so far this season.   Currently drilling through 28" of ice and not once has it overheated and stopped cutting but I'm not cutting 20 holes all at once.

While the drill/auger option is a legit one for normal fishing situations.   Drilling hole after hole to the point of overheating the drill as shown in Darren's demonstration is this combos limiting factor.   If the drill shuts down from overheating, you should stop drilling till the drill cools down on its own.  Yes you could spin the drill with no load and let its internally fan cool it but I wouldn't do that with an auger attached.    Removing the battery to reboot the shutdown and continuing on to drill more holes is going to ruin the drill.  The video is useful but I think it'll need new dilithium crystals sooner then later. :)
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
I agree with what you say Frank.   With the way i fish, I set up in one spot and drill 12 holes.   If the tool won't do that for me without shutting down, then it's clearly the wrong tool.   I'm going to have to use something else I guess.  :(

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I agree with what you say Frank.   With the way i fish, I set up in one spot and drill 12 holes.   If the tool won't do that for me without shutting down, then it's clearly the wrong tool.   I'm going to have to use something else I guess.  :(

Before you go and sell it what about a ice kicker plate or a clam gear box?? Might take the major strain off motor ?? I think it's 2:1 gear reduction so the fan would spin faster and motor higher rms wich might solve the problem?? Good way to find out is find some one with  gear box clam plate and try it out??  With your drill and your auger bit..  or buy a ice kicker off ebay or amazon.. any how trying to save Ya by suggesting to borrow instead of buy.. you know the gig..

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
Just a suggestion?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/clam-plate-geared-adapter-made-by-ice-kicker-adapter-only/163495362728?hash=item26111540a8:g:F6wAAOSwXHxb9uJC

The k drill is built to spin fast I don't think it would work with the kicker.  My friend has a kicker and it is slow, it is nice and built really strong though.

Maybe a mud mixer or super hawg type tool would get the job done.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
 friend that was with me last night had a lazer6" and the ridged 750"# model.  his was cutting out a bunch.  we put it on my jiffy 6 and it didn't cut out at all.  the extra torque needed to run the lazer seemed to cause its issues.  I realize its a smaller drill but most likely the same problem.  I couldn't be happier with mine so far.  only a couple cut outs but never had to remove battery yet.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'm thinking I'd like to try exchanging my drill out, perhaps a swap would help my issues.   Problem is that there is literally non in stock within 100 miles of me (bare tool).  Basically it's all in stock bundled with a small battery now.    Has anyone ever had any luck exchanging a bare tool for a combo unit and just swapping out the tool in the combo? 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I'm thinking I'd like to try exchanging my drill out, perhaps a swap would help my issues.   Problem is that there is literally non in stock within 100 miles of me (bare tool).  Basically it's all in stock bundled with a small battery now.    Has anyone ever had any luck exchanging a bare tool for a combo unit and just swapping out the tool in the combo?
All you can do is try. Worst they can say is no. It's like playing the Lottery,if you don't buy in you can't win.
<===Lefty===

Offline JSONICE

• IceShanty Rookie
The k drill is built to spin fast I don't think it would work with the kicker.  My friend has a kicker and it is slow, it is nice and built really strong though.

Maybe a mud mixer or super hawg type tool would get the job done.

Actually, Kdrill recommends setting the drill at its lowest speed..

Proper Drill Setup
1) Ensure that you have an adequate drill, meaning a half inch chuck and at least 725 in/lbs of torque.
2) Ensure the drill is set to its DRILL mode, not ratchet
or hammer.
3) Ensure the drill is set to its LOWEST (slowest) gear
setting.
4) Ensure your drill has a side-arm attachment so you
can maintain a secure two-handed hold on the drill.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
Actually, Kdrill recommends setting the drill at its lowest speed..

Proper Drill Setup
1) Ensure that you have an adequate drill, meaning a half inch chuck and at least 725 in/lbs of torque.
2) Ensure the drill is set to its DRILL mode, not ratchet
or hammer.
3) Ensure the drill is set to its LOWEST (slowest) gear
setting.
4) Ensure your drill has a side-arm attachment so you
can maintain a secure two-handed hold on the drill.

The slowest speed of the drill is much faster than the ice kicker gearbox.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Honestly, from what I’ve seen I don’t see where your Octane has a problem. I do agree that the Octane paired with your KDrill, with your style of fishing isn’t a good combo. Like you mentioned, drilling multiple sets of overlapping holes is the problem, causing your drill to go into protection mode. I’m well over 500 holes with my Octane/Nils combo, and have experienced no cutouts. I’m up to 30” of ice, and it eats it’s. Had it out in -15D weather unprotected, still no problem. The protection mode is a love/hate relationship. I love it, I personally would not like pushing a drill to the point where it smells like it’s burning, like you referenced with the dewalt.  Just my opinion, but if I was in your scenario fishing for sturgeon, I’d pick up a 4.5-6” auger, and an ice saw. Drill 3-4 holes, connect with the ice saw and your off.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
I went ahead and exchanged my drill.  Not only did they allow me to swap out a combo unit, they even let me keep the bag.  :)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-LIthium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Kit-with-OCTANE-Battery-Charger-and-Contractor-Bag-R8611506SB/307490841

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
so you got an entire kit for the replacement drill? sounds like hd. don't forget to register it and the charger and battery asap.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
No, they just swapped drills for me and kept the charger and battery, but said "here why don't you keep the bag".  I was like ok sure.  :)

I already got the LSA swapped too.

Oh, by the way,  this kit I linked is $159 and I seen a bare 9ah batteries on the shelf on sale for $99, so $259 isn't a horrible deal for the drill, 2 batteries (9ah and 3ah), and a bag.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.