Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75821 times)

Offline ieatanimals128

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • out smart, out work, out fish!
I am also having a great experience running the Octane with an 8 inch Nils and the Kovac adapter. I've gone out a couple of times and had a couple of very minor stop starts. I am blown away at how fast I can get through the ice with this setup. I got into the drill and 9ah battery for $199, for me the value has been excellent.

Thank you to PIKEFISHERMAN- his initial videos got me turned on to this setup. I can't believe how easily I can get through the ice now- cutting holes has always been a chore for me even with a gas auger, it's exciting to be able to plow through the ice in seconds with no effort with the Octane/Nils setup.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not quite.  Go back when the Milwaukee first came out.  There were plenty of issues then too.

Got any links? I see the handle/cracked case issue from last year but not finding anything beyond that, just curious what issues people had.

FISHFORPIKE

My M18 has been flawless for 2 seasons.  8" Nils, 6" Finbore Micro, 7" Mini Nero.  Never had a cutout, Handle is usually user error, i.e.not getting on the drill squarely, or kepping it tight.  I have mine on with blue loctite on the threads this season and it has not been a problem at all.
Anyone can get a bad tool/battery - I hope that is what it is with the few problems, return them/exchange them; there are lots of HD stores around.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
I am also having a great experience running the Octane with an 8 inch Nils and the Kovac adapter. I've gone out a couple of times and had a couple of very minor stop starts. I am blown away at how fast I can get through the ice with this setup. I got into the drill and 9ah battery for $199, for me the value has been excellent.

Thank you to PIKEFISHERMAN- his initial videos got me turned on to this setup. I can't believe how easily I can get through the ice now- cutting holes has always been a chore for me even with a gas auger, it's exciting to be able to plow through the ice in seconds with no effort with the Octane/Nils setup.
You're welcome. Tried my best to give it an honest opinion. Just had mine on the ice today. +/- 30" of ice, and it chewed through it like it wasn't there. 10D, with 10 mph wind. Did have one, and my first cutout. Thinking the battery was getting low, went from 2, down to 1 bar after my first hole. I drilled 7 after so Im guessing thats what it was. Just released the trigger and finished the last 5-6". So far so good. Still a beast!!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I never would have thought 22 pages for this thread...just hope ridged doesn't pull some BS move about LSA !
Yeah ...I know how would they know...
I love my octane...cuts out on rare occasion but I can not pattern it because it is so rare...the real experience will be this spring hammer drilling 5 inches of granite.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the real experience will be this spring hammer drilling 5 inches of granite.

Got that right..

I don't have an Octane, but I love my other three Ridgid drills.. They've never really glitched on the ice unless the battery was almost dead.. Never had overheating issues on the ice, but they start crying to stop when I'm running a half inch masonry bits drilling concrete anchors when it's 95F!

<°)))>{

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Good deal out there.

<===Lefty===

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
I feel bad for everyone who is having issues. Another day with no cut outs except for one that was user error (slowly feathering it through the crusty snow on top and not hitting it quick enough when I got to the ice).

Offline Mein4877

• IceShanty Rookie
Here's a link. Milwaukee has it's issues too.
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/195143467342989/permalink/1037569646433696/

Got any links? I see the handle/cracked case issue from last year but not finding anything beyond that, just curious what issues people had.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here's a link. Milwaukee has it's issues too.
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/195143467342989/permalink/1037569646433696/
Thanks for posting.  In reading reviews for the new 2804 on Milwaukee's website and a couple other places, they definitely seem to have issues and low ratings.  Overheating and sloppy chucks being the two that I've seen the most.  I've got the 2704 and the only issue I've had is a broken side handle.  I've got to send it in at the end of the season to get fixed under warranty.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tried pairing the battery while on the ice today, and the battery wont pair. I already paired it at home...so I know it worked.  Tried restarting my phone, unhooking the battery, forgetting the battery and re-syncing....won't even recognize it now. 3 bars on the battery. Figures.  ::)

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
Don’t have Facebook

I don’t have Facebook either, but I’m curious what the issues are with the Milwaukee drills. I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a combo set. I just received my Nils plate the other day.

Can anyone give us the Coles Notes version of the issues??

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Just type in your Browser search bar Milwalkee Fuel hammer drill problems and you can find Triggers,Motors and Overheating problems.
<===Lefty===

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just got the Milwaukee 2704-20 let u know how I make out. Unfortunately no manufacturer is perfect.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
Better yet just type in your browser Brand x-y-z problems!
Oh wait a minute they ALL have problems if ya look, especially when they are used for what they are not designed for. :whistle:

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Been running M-18 2703 for several years now. 90% of the time I turn a 6" Mora. 6-9" of ice I get easy 100 holes on a 5AH batt. 

BUT when I turn an 8" Mora Im lucky if I get 25 holes.  Same 5AH batts.

I'd like to try a NILS and see how big a diff. it makes.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ran my octane clamplate 7" lazer today. Was a long day chasing perch on deep flats eating bloodworms. There was 8-10"of hard ice. Had periodic fail to starts but overall I had less trouble than I've been having now that there is a little time on the drill. Was 5 degrees first thing warming up to 25. Auger ran good. Didnt count but I drilled at least 80 holes today. Nearly ran the drill dead. 1 bar left. Started slowing down for the last 10 holes but never quit. Since it has started to break in I've been having fewer and fewer issues.

FISHFORPIKE

Better yet just type in your browser Brand x-y-z problems!
Oh wait a minute they ALL have problems if ya look, especially when they are used for what they are not designed for. :whistle:
Yep, they all have a few problems, mostly just a quality issue with a few tools here and there.
Not made for it?  Who says?  They are made for work.  You can stall one of these things out in wood or concrete too. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Ran my octane clamplate 7" lazer today. Was a long day chasing perch on deep flats eating bloodworms. There was 8-10"of hard ice. Had periodic fail to starts but overall I had less trouble than I've been having now that there is a little time on the drill. Was 5 degrees first thing warming up to 25. Auger ran good. Didnt count but I drilled at least 80 holes today. Nearly ran the drill dead. 1 bar left. Started slowing down for the last 10 holes but never quit. Since it has started to break in I've been having fewer and fewer issues.
This is a good thing to hear. More use better performance. Kinda like breaking in a car, once it is broke in it gets better fuel mileage.
<===Lefty===

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Been running M-18 2703 for several years now. 90% of the time I turn a 6" Mora. 6-9" of ice I get easy 100 holes on a 5AH batt. 

The diameter of your auger is the biggest factor. The area of an 8 inch circle is 50.265 square inches verus only 28.27 square inches for a 6 inch auger.  An 8 inch auger means you are cutting 78% more ice than a 6 inch auger.  Actually lines up really close to your real-world experience, only getting about 25%  of the holes cut using an 8 compared to a 6

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
I had my octane kdrill combo out again last night.  Drilled several holes in 25" of ice.  I'm convinced the overlapping thing is was what really kills it.  It just does not like that at all. It's not so much the overlapping, but rather the hole you are drilling, getting flooded with water and slush from the adjacent hole.  12" is no problem, but 25" is a killer.  What sealed the deal is that my buddy had his DeWalt 996 out there with a 9ah battery and it really struggled too.  It didn't cut out, but it smelled horrible and released some magic smoke. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I had my octane kdrill combo out again last night.  Drilled several holes in 25" of ice.  I'm convinced the overlapping thing is was what really kills it.  It just does not like that at all. It's not so much the overlapping, but rather the hole you are drilling, getting flooded with water and slush from the adjacent hole.  12" is no problem, but 25" is a killer.  What sealed the deal is that my buddy had his DeWalt 996 out there with a 9ah battery and it really struggled too.  It didn't cut out, but it smelled horrible and released some magic smoke.

Don't drill any hole all the way through till all the holes are almost done..

<°)))>{

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Don't drill any hole all the way through till all the holes are almost done..

<°)))>{

That's what I've been doing, but easier said than done. :)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

That's what I've been doing, but easier said than done. :)

Yeah, I know it's not easy, I don't care what brand auger..

<°)))>{

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
The diameter of your auger is the biggest factor. The area of an 8 inch circle is 50.265 square inches verus only 28.27 square inches for a 6 inch auger.  An 8 inch auger means you are cutting 78% more ice than a 6 inch auger.  Actually lines up really close to your real-world experience, only getting about 25%  of the holes cut using an 8 compared to a 6

Do the math, huh? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cant argue with the power and longevity of batteries. 

I didn't have issues until the 25th or so hole, then I had a cutout when I hit the trigger.  Bluetooth wouldn't work again.  Took hours for it to reconnect last night....anyone else have issues pairing in the cold, or pairing at all?  Even inside, it takes forever to connect, and even longer to show the battery % even when the batteries are room temp. 

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Slayer...I ran an 8" blue Nils under a Clam plate and M18 2704 last year and it cut real silky but kinda precious when some dirty ice came along. This year I'm running a 7" Nero under a Kovac under an Octane drill and while not quite as silky as the Nils, it's a burner. Cheap, light and tough, like me except for the light part.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
So i think i know what causes my new symptoms of cutting out mid hole.today while cutting weak slush ice then a small gap of water then solid ice it wold quit when it hit the 2nd layer of black ice.the jolt going from easy soft ice to hard ice is making it cut out.yesterday when the ice was harder it never quit but had the fail to start deal.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So i think i know what causes my new symptoms of cutting out mid hole.today while cutting weak slush ice then a small gap of water then solid ice it wold quit when it hit the 2nd layer of black ice.the jolt going from easy soft ice to hard ice is making it cut out.yesterday when the ice was harder it never quit but had the fail to start deal.

Slushy ice can cause huge strains on the drill....have to clear the slush as much as possible. My Ion would stall out in thick slush too, and that had some decent torque.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.