Author Topic: Lake Diefenbaker 2021-2022  (Read 17358 times)

Offline armycat

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Diefenbaker 2021-2022
« Reply #60 on: Mar 04, 2022, 04:14 PM »
With all the snow does anyone know what access is like on to Tufts bay? Any chance a 2 wheel drive can get up and down the hill?

This years been challenge when you don't have a truck, quad or ski do. Might have to think about upgrading my toys.

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #61 on: Mar 04, 2022, 09:36 PM »
I drove around the road and down to the launch at Elbow Harbour today and there is lots of snow and the road was hard to see. Probably a good 6" of new snow with flat light. The ramp looked useable, but quite icy. You might have a problem with 2 wheel drive.

Offline Paraaronoid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Mar 04, 2022, 10:05 PM »
Might have to think about upgrading my toys.

I actually feel the opposite.  Those toys can improve your chances for sure, but nothing's foolproof and when you're stuck with a 4x4, that means you're really stuck.

I parked my 4x4 this year and bought me a pair of snowshoes and poles.  I had impulsively bought one of those Pelican 75 sleds last year when they were on sale, and rigged it up to just be able to pull myself.  Learned some really important things like as long as you have a warm fire, everything else falls into place.  There's a liberating feeling for me now not stressing over whether I will need an extra 2 hours to dig out at the end of the day.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Mar 05, 2022, 07:38 AM »
That sounds exhausting...! But
Good on you sir,

Offline armycat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Mar 05, 2022, 11:05 AM »
I actually feel the opposite.  Those toys can improve your chances for sure, but nothing's foolproof and when you're stuck with a 4x4, that means you're really stuck.

I parked my 4x4 this year and bought me a pair of snowshoes and poles.  I had impulsively bought one of those Pelican 75 sleds last year when they were on sale, and rigged it up to just be able to pull myself.  Learned some really important things like as long as you have a warm fire, everything else falls into place.  There's a liberating feeling for me now not stressing over whether I will need an extra 2 hours to dig out at the end of the day.

Last year we were furtunate enough to drive on to every lake we went to except Lenore and Iroquois. This year we have walked on everywhere. I have a sled but I am hauling kit for three and can’t convince anyone to carry less. We likely have more kit than in permanent shacks.

Hill down to Tufts Bay is very icy. There are tracks so finding the route is not bad. 4 wheel drive are getting up and down but sliding around a bit. We are near the start of the bay in 18’ of water and haven’t seen a thing.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 07, 2022, 11:20 AM »
I went out to the mouth of coteau yesterday and decided not to drive out and ended up pulling the sled. I have way too much stuff, and when there is this much snow it sure is hard to pull haha.

There was a little too much snow on the ramps and on the ice for me to drive with a AWD SUV right now. 4x4 could work maybe, but no guarantees. I'm pretty bummed that we got this dump of snow.

Anyways we had 3 burbot, a nice walleye and a big perch in a few hours, and then nothing for several hours. I was hoping the sunset would bring more burbs out but no luck. Frying them in butter tonight!

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 15, 2022, 02:16 PM »
How have the burbs been biting for everyone?

I've been out twice in march and had limited success. Skunked once and then next time had 3 Burbot, plus a nice perch and walleye. Fiance got he first burbot, and a whoppper at almost 30".

Offline Jimmysask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Mar 15, 2022, 03:15 PM »
2 of us were out last Saturday, not much luck with burbot. Only 1. We did do good for walleye that day. We haven't had any luck targeting pike or rainbows, skunked on those 2 species. Should be firing up soon I hope.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Mar 18, 2022, 09:04 AM »
Well Jimmysask, the only thing that got fired up yesterday was some aching joints from wrestling with the auger. We fished a couple spots on Coteau in the morning and managed two perch. Moving down the lake, we got one walleye and had a weak bite on another with very few marks. The evening bite had a parade of walleye go past the camera. Most looked like males from the profile. The fish were incredibly skittish. Most did not approach our lures directly, but rather swam by for a cautious peek before going away. Even the slightest enticing movements had the opposite effect. One gently took hold of the end of a minnow head for a couple of seconds and then spit it out and just swam away. Of the 17 odd fish we saw, only one came in hot and, I managed to lose it half way up.

It was a great day to be out, despite getting completely schooled by the walleye.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Mar 18, 2022, 08:59 PM »
Finally got my 1st outing in March. Water is everywhere in Ramp Bay. 3 hours around sunset and no fish.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 21, 2022, 10:30 AM »
I have been instructed by my partner to bring no more burbot home. She declared after our last sampling that she was "not a fan". With my lack of success on Dief for walleye, dinner options were limited last night. I had one perch, one small walleye and some burbot belly meat; having given the better burbot cuts to a friend whose family loves them. I fried them all up with my favourite coating and planned for a true blind taste test.

I told my wife this would be an "all Diefenbaker" dinner and that she should tell me if the fish tasted any different from the regular Blackstrap fare we have been enjoying. The first piece she selected happened to be the burbot. "Mmmmmmm, that's really good" was her spontaneous reaction. When I made the big reveal, I got the expected and well deserved reaction for fooling her. We both agreed however, that the burbot deserves a higher status than we have been giving it.

My son is still not sure. He says, "they taste okay, I just can't stop thinking about how they look."  Fair enough.

Offline Jimmysask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Mar 21, 2022, 01:37 PM »
Got out on Saturday, couldn't ask for better weather. 4 walleye and a couple small pike landed, lost a couple larger pike. Ice seemed to be getting pretty soft already, hopefully holds out for one more weekend. There was still guys driving around where we were, we walked on because I'm a chicken when it comes to driving around on Dief.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Mar 21, 2022, 07:42 PM »
Your not a chicken Jimmy, your smart for walking instead of driving.

Lots of gas pockets showing up already in various areas of the lake I’ve heard from fiends.

Offline Jimmysask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Mar 23, 2022, 05:05 PM »
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has been on the ice this week. Just curious how its holding up. I feel Dief owes me one monster fish this winter and I would like to get one more day out there.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Mar 23, 2022, 06:40 PM »
My Elbow source says that most people are getting on the lake using quads or side by sides. The edges are supposedly "sketchy".
Considering my last mark (and fish) emerged out of a stream of gas bubbles, one of which made an impressive "burp" in the ice hole, I plan to say so long to Diefenbaker until the spring.

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 24, 2022, 09:17 AM »
I was out Tuesday , walked on. There was some standing water near the shores like usual when there's a melt going on. But when I went and checked it out there was a large hole in the middle right through the ice with 2 feet of ice right beside it. Be careful out there even walking on. Ice is very thick out  from shores . This was Danielson area. Fishing was slow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.