The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: New idea!! (well new to me)  (Read 2381 times)

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
New idea!! (well new to me)
« on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:47 PM »
I had an idea about three years ago and am finally going to try it. I have never liked the idea of pinning a live decoy and have always used a harness when I use live bait (not too often). I have always hated putting the decoy in the harness and then trying to get the way I want it. So today I bought a hamster ball. It is about 10" in diameter, is clear and is vented with slots. I drilled a hole in it for a small eyelet. I put a large crank bait in it and put it in the sink. Under the water it is almost invisible and big enough for a medium sucker minnow, 3 or 4 fatheads or an entire school of crappie minnows. My questions are. Has anyone tried this before? If the they have did it work? What do you all think will happen? If it does work will it be all smash and (try to grab) or a slow creep. I suppose I will find out one way or another in the next month. But why not? If a red and white golf ball slowly spinning in the water works I suppose anything could.   

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New idea!! (well new to me)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:11 AM »
Awesome idea. Reminds me of an antique lure where they use a glass tube for a minnow, rigged with wire and hooks.  It would also be worth testing out with crappie minnows through a spear hole, just to see if it attracts panfish.  I think a clear cylindrical minnow bucket would be a neat concept for panfishing, but it would need to be narrow enough to get in a fish hole. 

What better way to keep your sucker from getting beaten up.  Now I just had another idea.  What about a long clear tube for those really big expensive suckers. Trying to put a harness on one of those is like trying to wrestle a muddy pig, you have to get them in a headlock first. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2015, 04:40 PM »
Sounds like some good ideas :thumbsup:

WS

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Well this is it. It has a eight inch jerk bait for musky/pike in it. When I put it in water I could hardly see the ball so I am hopeful that it wont be too weird for the pike.

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:45 PM »
With the eyelets in.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:36 PM »
That's a pretty interesting idea, please let us know how it works for you.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I used a giant glass pickle jar once and filled it with perch minnows. I put a hole through the lid, and hung it on monofilament down into the hole. I was trying to attract gar pike to spear, or at least anything for that matter. It looked really good, but didn't do what I wanted it to. Perhaps I didn't give it enough time either. :-\
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:06 AM »
has anyone speared any of the lakes in 7 lakes state park?

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:08 AM »
oops this was suppose to be a new post sorry. but I do like your hamster ball idea

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.