Author Topic: lake champlain/miss bay  (Read 4505 times)

Offline pike master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • let there be ice!!!!!!!!!!!
lake champlain/miss bay
« on: Nov 09, 2006, 04:38 PM »
i fish down near highgates springs VT i rent from martins general store i was just wondering if there are burburt down that end its about 5 to 7 feet of water i fish for pike but in the slow time i jig just like to catch one info on how to would be nice thank u

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: lake champlain/miss bay
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2006, 04:53 PM »
is Miss bay the one that borders the town of Swanton?? my buddy caught one burbot there a few years ago on a tipup it was 1 1/2lbs  we were pike fishing and all we caught was a burbot :(
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline pike master

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2006, 11:20 AM »
iam not sure i go in from highgate spings VT where i fish in back of me is canda

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2006, 03:31 PM »
ahh NM i think Miss bay is the huge bay in the NE corner of the lake  its not very deep either from what I recall.
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Offline pike master

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2006, 06:03 PM »
ya good pike fishing there  4to7 feet deep

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2006, 07:53 PM »
id try for Burbot at night  in late winter anywhere where theres a sandy bottom because I believe thats where they spawn. They also become more active before they spawn under the ice. Suprised no Burbot experts have jumped on this topic yet :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Offline pike master

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2006, 12:08 PM »
me to thats what i was hopeing

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2007, 08:26 AM »
I'm with you pikemaster-met a guy from Mn. who was talking up eelpout and I looked on the F&W website--says we got 'em.  30+ yrs. of fishing Lake Champlain and have yet to see one.  Been scouring the boards here because I want to be the first of my friends to catch one.  Good luck this year.  I don't see me making out with one like our Manitoban brethren though.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2007, 08:32 AM »
They are out there....big ass lake, gotta be some slammer burbot in the depths. i got one a couple years ago between NY and isle la motte in 35 FOW jiggin perch at dusk. prolly 3 lbs or so. I wish I could get on em good, Ill ask around some of the old timers around here....

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2007, 09:27 PM »
They are out there....big ass lake, gotta be some slammer burbot in the depths. i got one a couple years ago between NY and isle la motte in 35 FOW jiggin perch at dusk. prolly 3 lbs or so. I wish I could get on em good, Ill ask around some of the old timers around here....
sure would appreciate if you can pass it on...I can make Isle lamotte in 1hour or so

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2007, 10:19 PM »
Burbot can be caught regularly, using dead bait of any kind, fished near bottom anywhere near fairly deep water, at night mostly. We've caught them before right out from Hog Island in Swanton, also off the Cowbanks in South hero. There's probably some in St Albans bay too. Most of the deeper Northeast Kingdom lakes have them too. I've caught them in Eligo, Memphremagog, Seymore, Caspian.  -Jim

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2007, 02:19 PM »
Thanks a bunch Jim.  I'll probably stay late on Eligo one night this winter and try my luck.  Plus, that'll probably be the only place we get ice this year

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:07 PM »
went to miss bay this past weekend very fun i caught two northerns one small one decent keeper i fish it during the summer occasionaly for bowfin but theres alot of pike up there

catch pike like its my job

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:19 AM »
Best way to find out if theres burbot there, go out at dusk , set as many ines as your aloud with fresh cut bait, oily the better like smelt, or even big live minnows, put it right on the bottom, if theres burbot in there u should get em, shallow water like that you are prbly more likely later in the year when they are spawning, they start to move into the shallows then, theres a spot here that guys fish em its only about 4-7 fow they do pretty good late n the year
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.