New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ice getting bad here to  (Read 1145 times)

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice getting bad here to
« on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Three snowmobiles and one shanty through the ice this week. BE CAREFULL.

Offline 8POINT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice getting bad here to
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:16 PM »
what lake? and where?

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:20 PM »
Hope no one was hurt!!! I keep saying the ice isn't great. But keep getting told not to worry, But I have been around these lakes in the Adirondacks all my life and have seen what happens when we get a lot of snow before a lot of good ice forms. Please people, carry a spud and check the ice.
We had a lot of lakes that had some snow cover right after the ice formed. That created a lot of inconsistent spots on the lake. You may drill one spot and have 8" and move 50' and have 3".
Those spots may also create low areas with lots of water which heats up and weakens the ice.

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2011, 06:24 PM »
what lake? and where?
From what i was told all were on lower saranac.

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Hope no one was hurt!!! I keep saying the ice isn't great. But keep getting told not to worry, But I have been around these lakes in the Adirondacks all my life and have seen what happens when we get a lot of snow before a lot of good ice forms. Please people, carry a spud and check the ice.
We had a lot of lakes that had some snow cover right after the ice formed. That created a lot of inconsistent spots on the lake. You may drill one spot and have 8" and move 50' and have 3".
Those spots may also create low areas with lots of water which heats up and weakens the ice.

To Ole Timer from Old Timer....  Guess we are just whistling into the wind..  But.. what do we know ????   I am sure, like me you have had a lot of friends go through the ice over the years and that makes us cautious..  One more day on the ice is not worth giving up the rest of your life..   We both know what is coming this weekend on Oneida and probably other lakes..  the slush is spotty and who knows what the ice is really like under it. The 4 wheelers will just have to prove they are right.. So.. have at it.... I wish you the best,,,,

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I've been in twice, not any fun at all. The fish will be there, whether it is in a boat or on the ice it matters not to me. I can wait to be safe either way.
Here's the link to the Farmers Almanac. They are usually pretty close.
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/northeast-us/

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:11 PM »
No fun going through is right..  I remeber being young and crazy.  Using those long trapper snowshoes to get across cracks.. I`d carry a long sappling so if I went through I could put it cross ways across the hole and keep myself from going in all the way..

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2011, 09:19 PM »
I've been in twice, not any fun at all. The fish will be there, whether it is in a boat or on the ice it matters not to me. I can wait to be safe either way.
Here's the link to the Farmers Almanac. They are usually pretty close.
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/long-range-weather-forecast/northeast-us/
I always have a farmers almanac next to my chair. Just talked with a friend his shanty is still on the lake and froze in 8" of slush. Wont be fun but have to get it may wait till later in the week when it cools  down again.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:05 PM »
The snowmobiles went through on Lake Flower. I don't think they were fishing, but it happened during winter carnival. I didn't hear about the house.

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:34 AM »
The snowmobiles went through on Lake Flower. I don't think they were fishing, but it happened during winter carnival. I didn't hear about the house.
If thats the case i'm not surpised thats a river and they always go through. FOOLS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.