New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fishing on Lake Pleasant  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Walldogger929

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing on Lake Pleasant
« on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I am thinking of going up to Lake Pleasant on Feb. 23rd but ive never been there before.... Does anyone have any thought's about the lake?  I want to shoot for panfish mostly might throw a tip-up in for a trout or two.  Would anyone care to give me some location ideas?  Also to anyone that have been out on the lake what are the conditions i know with the recent heat wave it will probably be nasty for a bit but can you use a 4-wheeler on it or is it snowmobile only????

Thanks for any help or input you guys can give its greatly appreciated!

Nick

Offline Fatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
Re: Fishing on Lake Pleasant
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2011, 10:03 PM »
If you park at the fire house you can gain access on the lake using the snowmobile trial going to the lake.  Once on the lake you if you fish off to the left close to cherry beach you will get good pickerel action.  If you head towards the island and stop before it on the left side  you can get some perch action.  Stay in 30-40 feet of water for perch.  If you head in between the island on the left side you will always catch bass.  Still heading west  past the island closer to the south shore you have your best chance of picking up some trout.  You can also fish by the inlet our outlet and also sometimes pick up some trout.  This is just my experience from ice fishing it for the past 20 years.  I am sure someone will have a different opinion but this should put you in the ballpark.

Offline trapper330

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2011, 10:15 PM »
I have fished Lake Pleasant for many years. The trout fishing has gone to hell. From 1999 to today it has gotten worse every year. The DEC is no longer putting any rainbows in Lake Pleasant. They are now stocking it back to lake trout. This was one of the best lakes in NYS for rainbows in the 80's and early 90's and now they are very few and far between. Rich Preall the region 6 biologist told me that he thinks that the exploding smelt population had something to do with the decline in trout and walleye populations. The occasional trout is still caught but it is a rare. When they are caught they are somtimes very large. I have caught hundreds of trout out of Lake Pleasant the biggest being a 26 incher in 99. The best place to fish for the trout and walleyes is on the edges of the big hole on the far end of the lake.  We always did the best on the shelf that drops from 45 feet down to 16 feet. If you head out from the marina and go directly across the lake to the far shore you will see a small brown camp. Stay about two hundred yard off of the shore and line yourself up inbetween the camp and the bridge. You now will be very close to the shelf. I don't mind sharing this spot with you because I will never fish Lake Pleasant again. After not catching a single trout out of her in 2007, I vowed that I will never return.

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2011, 12:43 AM »
not only the lake trout, they've been stocking LL salmon in the lake and I've heard the last few years that people are getting tons of shorty LL's while trolling around.

Offline vicegripkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2011, 09:32 AM »
my best brown came out of there, hasnt been good fishing in years, i stopped going there.

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2011, 11:57 AM »
I have to agree trout used to be a sure bet if you knew how to catch them, now you're lucky to catch one...jigging your own smelt helps but its tough there good luck
Dont't catch um all

Offline vicegripkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2011, 12:01 PM »
i used to do real good on smelt there too but thats a thing of the past also

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2011, 12:35 PM »
this may help you stocking list
2010-browns-1300[8 to 10in]
2009-browns-1400[9in]
-----lakers--1100[7in]
-----eyes---18000[5in]
2008-browns-1300[9in]
-----salmon-1900[6in]
-----bows--3100[9in]
2007-browns-1400[9in]
-----salmon--1900[6in]
-----bows----3100[10in]
2006-browns--1300[9in]
-----salmon--1700[6in]
-----bows----3400[9in]
hope this helps
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
rat
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Harper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:06 PM »
If the weather holds out,I am fishing the tourny on Feb.26.Thanks for the pointer's!
Harper's Tip-Up Inn

Offline mayfield

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2011, 07:32 PM »
so thiers bows in pleasant ??  how  fast do they grow
race my mower all summer  and race to a flag in the winter

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:04 PM »
I'll be at the tournament also, I don't care about the stocking list the trout fishing is no where near what it was,but they have to be there by the list so i'm gonna keep trying for one of the giants that I KNOW are there..Good luck to all..Don't catch em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont't catch um all

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:55 PM »
fished it in 2008 twice. put 10 tip ups out 100 yds away from bridge(that sep the two lakes) and caught a few pickeral 8-20 fow. parked by firehouse and walked towards the island. caught one sm perch in 15 fow jigging. friendly encon on sled. did nt feel the need to return. hope ur blades r sharp for that thick ice. did nt try for trout.

Offline JC4me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:38 PM »
There are some big perch in that lake...
"It is better to have fished and lost...than never to have fished at all."

Offline vicegripkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:52 AM »
i used to cattch some nice perch off cherry beach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.