The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Blanchard Lake (Seeley/Swan)  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Linginator

• IceShanty Rookie
Blanchard Lake (Seeley/Swan)
« on: Jan 05, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I was looking for a previous post on this lake but couldn't seem to find one so I thought a new topic wouldn't hurt. 

Anybody been on this "wide spot on the Clearwater" recently.  I've never tried it but read a post a while back that it used to hold good numbers of pike and perch. 

Any recent reports would be appreciated.  I know from driving by it a few times on the way to Harper's, the ice is sketchy at best.

Got that itch to find a new pike/perch hole...
TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII P UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
Re: Blanchard Lake (Seeley/Swan)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2011, 03:24 PM »
I wanted to fish it the last two seasons but as you said the ice is bad...Half of the slough usually has water soaked snow on it. I don't really feel like walking onto ice like that... I only saw one person on it in two years of fishing that chain of lakes

Offline griz247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:39 PM »
It's a fun lake to fish in open water but tough through the ice. The best places to fish are hard to get to on the ice to say the least. The water flow is very strange and makes 50-60% of the lake very shetchy when frozen. I decided after last year to make this a summer destination. I would like to know more about Elbow Lake upstream from Blanchard.

Offline joshy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:07 PM »
i to would like to know about elbow lake , mainly access to it.
thanks

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:59 AM »
No access, private property..
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Linginator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Correct on Elbow.  Need to know someone for access.
TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII P UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!

Offline joshy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:45 PM »
bummer :'(

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Is it posted? If its not posted you are allowed to trespass to fish if its not posted.

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2011, 10:13 AM »
it dose not have to be posted any more< its your own fault if u don't have permission and u get caught its all on u ;) ;)

Ps. Respect the Private property and well have permission
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2011, 12:20 PM »
I was curious about the trespass law, so i looked it up.
Montana's trespass law states that a member of the public has the privilege to enter private land only:

1. with the explicit permission of the landowner or his agent, or
   2. when the landowner has failed to post a no-trespassing notice

The recreationist must obtain permission from the landowner before entering posted lands. Montana hunters must always obtain permission to access private land. Recreationists are urged to obtain complete rules about this law from any FWP office.

Believe me I was under the impression that it was all a permission only rule. buuuut turns out it leaves being honest and upstanding to fisherman. Whats that say about hunters?

Molon Labe

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2011, 01:22 PM »
says its biased bs is what it says..we own both sides of the river near a section of the interstate it is posted and you wouldnt believe how many times the fence is cut tied together.brackets taken off by fishermen illegally accessing the river..and once or twice a year they cut it good enough that the cows get out and get on the train tracks.fisherman arent any better than hunters..people are people and there will always be some that ruin it for everybody else.

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Oh i have to agree, we have more problems with hunters trespassing than fisherman, mostly because i am constantly publicly complaining about the "terrible fishing in these cricks".  a little disinformation never hurt anyones secret spots. hunters just cant pass up that big buck or bull if they can spot them from the highway.

Molon Labe

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2011, 11:57 PM »
As far as hunting goes, you can't trespass period to hunt. You can only trespass to fish or walk, but you can't trespass to hunt period. If a property is posted or has an orange square on the post, it is considered posted.

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:03 AM »
see previous post on this thread
its the regs on it.

Molon Labe

Offline Nerka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Elbow lake supposedly has or soon will have public access.  Probably best to consult with FWP on the specifics, but here are a few Missoulian links from Nov 10, 2010, and Jan 1, 2011 on the subject.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_a104bd00-ec8d-11df-b462-001cc4c03286.html
http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/article_920663a8-1618-11e0-ac83-001cc4c03286.html

Offline griz247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2011, 01:13 PM »
Fwp bought/swapped a piece of land which will give access to elbow lake....where exactly I don't know. Hope to find out soon.

Offline griz247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2011, 02:51 PM »
I received an email from fwp today. The land they swapped for is basically highway land to be used for a project in 2012. The land does touch the Clearwater river but the last 100 yards or so is extremely steep. He did let me know that there is DNRC land that will take you to Elbow lake but the last 50-60 yards is very steep also. So, bottom line is there is access, just crappy access.

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2011, 01:05 AM »
The ice here is fishable with a little bit of water on top... Didn't mark a fish so I went over to harpers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.