The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sad,Sad,Sad  (Read 3135 times)

Offline heymax

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The 38th Wonder of the World!!!!
Sad,Sad,Sad
« on: Mar 20, 2005, 12:12 PM »
I went out this morning for my last bit of ice fishing this year and I went to Horn Pond in Acton. All during the season someone had a shack about 30 feet from shore. I got there this morning and they had removed it but left a lot of wood still stuck in the ice with ropes attached and a lot of Insulation tufts sticking out of the ice all over, pieces of metal and other stuff. The problem here is that everyone and there brother can see this from the road. There is coming a day where all you can use is Portable shacks because of stuff like this. I picked up coffee cups on the ice and other junk people had buried next to there holes. We wonder why our lakes look like garbage dumps but if we in the Ice Fishing Community can do our part then at least we know it's not we who are ruining it for everyone else. I don't mean to stand on a soapbox but It just looked disgusting and I wish I had brought my camera. If you are down that way in the next day or two take a look for yourself. it's right next to the road. You can't miss it. Max
I was born with nothing........and I still have a little bit of it left.

Offline Dogman-

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Neanderthal
Re: Sad,Sad,Sad
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2005, 12:17 PM »
You are not on a soap box but you are right on the money,that kind of slob behavior will only lead to no good for the rest of us!! >:(
Make sure your brain is running before you put your mouth in gear.

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2005, 01:48 PM »
I absolutely agree, this kind of stupidity should be addressed.
Thanks for picking up after these people, because all it takes is a few environmentalist to get some photo's of that, and off they go to the legistaltors begging for portable only.
We appreciate you taking the effort to look after our untidy fishermen :clap:

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2005, 03:29 PM »
Good wake up call.... Let's all commit ourselves to doing some cleanup on our local lakes, this spring... I know I will..
Scott Wright

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2005, 03:39 PM »
thanks scott.....as we all know all it takes is one bad apple can ruin the barrel and give us all a bad rap................... ......... :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline FFFarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2005, 09:51 PM »
Usually this time of year I always come home with a load of blocking and junk that I pick up. People move their shacks and leave the bloking behind, after the sun hits it for a few days you can easily pop it out with a chisel. I know of a couple shacks now that are about a foot into the ice, who only knows what they'll do about them. People need to be more responsible if they are going to put shacks on the ice.
Brace your feet! Them flags gonna start poppin any minute!!

Offline heymax

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The 38th Wonder of the World!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2005, 11:00 PM »
I might go back this next weekend and see if I can get clean it up a little. The wood doesn't bother me as much as the Insulation. Maybe the rises temps will loosen it up some.  I know it's not mine but it's just like the area I go hunting in. After the snow goes I usually go and walk the road on both sides and pick up trash as a way of saying thank you to the landowner. Max

P.S. it's only in about 2 feet of water near shore so don't worry about me going swimming ;D
I was born with nothing........and I still have a little bit of it left.

Offline Geterdun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:26 PM »
What is even more sad is these people call themselves sportsman! They not only leave there crap on the ice, they leave it in the woods and throw it out the truck window. In this world, it only takes a few bad apples to ruin things for others. This is also why people post properity. My father owns 100 + acres in the mid-coast area and a couple of years ago I found 20 or more tires dumped on his property. True sportsman need to stick up for all aspects of the sporting world.

Offline Marsh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tools of the Trade
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Way to step up max!!! We need more people like you guys out there!!!!
Marsh

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:00 PM »
ive seen people, usually kids, cut badly swimming in the summer from broken beer and whisky bottles thrown down the hole in winter! i agree ,pick up what you can and turn in the litterbugs! if they want it to look like the cities they need to stay there!! a big THANK YOU  to all that take the time to pick up litter they encounter. my hats off to you!

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:56 PM »
Boys and I were out, today, taking the shack apart!! We just can't get it loose from the ice and there's a foot of water around it... We're going back out, tomorrow, to finish the job. We'll make sure not to leave a mess...
Scott Wright

Offline FFFarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2005, 06:01 PM »
Went out on Great Moose today to get one last day of fishing in and to get my shack off. Watched a group of people walk out with a jet sled, take a shack apart, and haul it off. I noticed something still on the lake as they were leaving. I tried to chase them down but they took off. They left the floor of a 4X8 frozen into the ice. I tried a couple of times to free it myself, I figured I would at least get it off the lake, all I managed to do was bend my chisel.
I did get a plate number from their trailer and plan on calling the warden service tomorrow, maybe if a warden just calls them they will go out and get it before it goes under.
I also collected a lot of blocking that freed itself after the sun got on it, after it drys it will be good campfire wood this summer.
It doesn't take a lot of effort to keep the ice clean, I hope they retrieve all frozen shacks before it is too late.
Brace your feet! Them flags gonna start poppin any minute!!

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another season, another reason, to, FISH ON !
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2005, 08:18 PM »
I just returned to Mass. after a great week in your State, and this subject was on my mind while fishing. Last weekend up North, several folks pulled there shacks and left messes behind, I was really rather shocked. Then coming home I swung through Sebago, and there was the same. Unless they had plans on returning, I couldn't beleive that mess left on the Ice.
I work all year for this ! PAID TO ICEFISH, GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Offline Big_Ray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishing rules
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2005, 07:43 AM »
thanks for your effort Max, it`s good to know there are people like you out there who care... these slob-(sportsmen) obviously have no clue about how thier actions mess it up for everyone else, but they are also the same ones who b***h when thier favorite hunting or fishing spot gets posted....the woods and lakes are not peoples personnal dumps, if you carry it in, carry it out, it`s not a hard concept to grasp for most people. thanks again Max and to everyone else who cares enough to make sure you leave an area as clean or cleaner than when you arrived.   
Ray

Offline Geterdun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2005, 03:23 PM »
As a sportsman, I would like to thank everyone out there who took 2seconds (most longer) who took the time to pick up after others wheter it was old fishing line, beer cans, or shotguns shells. Hopefully that people whoe see this type of effort will get the right idea and think twice (I'm hoping) and don't forget to show the kids. Lazyness is contagious!

Fish ON!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.