Author Topic: Cleaning frozen fish  (Read 3385 times)

trying the ice

Cleaning frozen fish
« on: Dec 27, 2003, 08:38 PM »
So you're ice fishing all day and tossing the keepers on the ice and they freeze solid.  How long can you keep them frozen before cleaning?  Thanks for any advice.

bubby

Re:Cleaning frozen fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2003, 09:56 PM »
Your best bet is to put your catch in cooler. A bag will work but the key is to keep your catch cold and fresh. Pack it with snow. Fresh fish should be either eaten or frozen. Best eaten immediately!.YUMMM.

acsacmboy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2003, 08:02 AM »
within a day and a half you want to clean them once you get home really...

the boy and the old man ;)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2003, 08:51 AM »
I have sometimes frozen my fish whole in the freezer. Apparently alot of Europeans do it this way. They taste fine. Cuts down on the freezer burn with no jagged edges, just a smooth belly. I have kept them up to a year.;)

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2003, 08:58 PM »
Throw them in a bucket and catch more keepers :) then the fresh caught fish keep the older ones warm
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2003, 07:22 AM »
Sit on your bucket! And if its really cold eat beans and venison the night before! ;D

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2003, 08:48 AM »
I find its best to clean them as soon as you get home, leaving them in snow filled bucket overnight, makes then get real slimy when they thaw to clean them.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2003, 03:35 PM »
Cleaning frozen fish is not much fun. What I do is scoop water into bucket first thing after putting lines in, enough to keep the fish alive and swimming. At the end of the day I have nice flopping fish to clean. I do kill them before fileting though.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

cid

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2003, 05:38 PM »
cleaning them after they have thawed out some is not the best way. Try to keep em from freezing solid before you clean them is the best. Coolers/Buckets  with water will work even if it  gets cold :'(

acsacmboy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2003, 08:51 PM »
if theyare still frozen, thake some hot water and just slosh them in it for a second. instant warmth of fish. ive even had perch come back to life after they had frozen solid. i did that one day had about 50 frozen perch put them in the tub in the bathroon and let the water in. about 10 started to flop. oh well. get the fish cleaned quick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.