Author Topic: A Berry good tell #2  (Read 4083 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
A Berry good tell #2
« on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Well the berry has treated us very well for the 2nd time in 2018, I must give thanks to Dubob for turning me onto the spring berry bite. It has been a blast the last 2 years and plan on many more to come. We arrived to a chilly -10 and got out to the chosen spot. Started out fishing in 54fow and ended up in 24fow by the end of the day. The best fishing was 24-26fow. Between myself and skunkedagain we pulled around 30 fish. My biggest was only around 19in but skunked pulled an impressive 27in bow thru a 6in hole. This was definately a 2 man job getting that beast out. Orange/white jigs tipped with waxies worked for us all day. I did switch to a smaller jig later in the day when the fish got a bit more selective in the same colors and did well with it also. Most the ice was around 12-14in with up to 10-12in of snow on it in most places. We only hit a couple of slush pockets going in and out past haws point into renegade area, but nothing of much concern YET! The pressure ridge off haws is easily passable if you just follow the trails over it. We didnt hit any slush from the marina to haws. There were wheelers and sleds out on the hard deck. As all you spring berry ice fishers know it will only get worse. Get some in while you can! Now for the good stuff, I'll start it off with the best one Skunkedagains 27in

And then the smaller fishies

and of course some scenery shots, skunkedagain even got to put the newly traded for this year flip-up up to get out of the blazing sun that was upon us most of the day. I really need to start bringin sun block on these spring trips as I'm a bit red in the face today

Tightlines everyone and be safe on this spring time ice
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A very good Berry tale #2
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:15 AM »
Wow Matt, look like a great day! Thanks for sharing the report and the pictures.
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:48 AM »
It was a great day, should put jeff in 1st place for bows on the online tourney with only 4 days left till it ends  :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A Berry good tell #2
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Thank you Matt, was a great day.... But for the rest of the story Matt 24 fish Jeff 6.... Good thing the big brother fish found my lure or I would have had a slow day compared to the master... Ole Matt sure can pick the spots... I started off in the hot spot and got out to a 3-0 start and from there on Matt moved and it was a Matt show... as he picked two hot spots that had fish rolling through all day, even though it got harder to make them bite later in the day...

I think yesterday was about as good of conditions as you can get on the ice, other than it was a little hard to keep things working in the bitter cold in the AM... Seemed like we had reel, line and eye freeze up issues in the morning and got lots of practice cleaning the ice from our holes, but after 11:00 it really cleared up nice... Usually spring ice fishing doesn't have the cold issues we had in the morning, but it gave us an all season feel for the day... Fun times and sunburn to boot... Later J

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2018, 02:08 PM »
DAMN!  Should have gone to the Berry yesterday instead of East Canyon.  Big Earl (6) and I (5) only pulled in 11.  10 were bows and I nailed this nice Russian Brown trout (?).   ;D

Oh, and here's my bigest bow for the day.

Next week, we'll do the Berry again for sure.

:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Looks like you had a better time than me at work!! Congrats Jeff that's a huge rainbow/cuttbow. It is fun to hook into a good one once and awhile. Hopefully I can make it out a few more times before ice off.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Next week, we'll do the Berry again for sure.

What day you thinking? Looks to be getting stormy on Thursday
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:51 PM »
What day you thinking?
I'm good Wed - Fri.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:03 PM »
Let's do Wednesday and hopefully it don't get to slushy
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:28 PM »
Those are some awesome trouts...    Congratulations....... . :thumbsup: :clap:

Still cant get over that treeless land around your water..... :-\
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Online glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:37 PM »
It was a great day, should put jeff in 1st place for bows on the online tourney with only 4 days left till it ends  :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

Glad you are still able to get on the ice, Matt. I've had two really good days on the Gorge up the Blacks Fork Arm. Picked up around 30 rainbows (lost count after 20!) in 3 1/2 hours of fishing this morning. I've tried some new plastic tails that have been working real good since I started using them. Safe ice won't be around too much longer on the Gorge; I'll have to fish in some higher elevation lakes. 

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Those are some awesome trouts...    Congratulations....... . :thumbsup: :clap:

Still cant get over that treeless land around your water..... :-\

Thanks Dom, it's definately not like your wooded lakes for sure. We have them just not alot

Glad you are still able to get on the ice, Matt. I've had two really good days on the Gorge up the Blacks Fork Arm. Picked up around 30 rainbows (lost count after 20!) in 3 1/2 hours of fishing this morning. I've tried some new plastic tails that have been working real good since I started using them. Safe ice won't be around too much longer on the Gorge; I'll have to fish in some higher elevation lakes. 

Sounds like a great time Glen, wish I could make one more trip up there but I'll be lucky to get one more in here with the temps we're having
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Icejunkieb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2018, 10:09 PM »
I'm going Wednesday hopefully  Jeff can go that day anybody else that wants to throw in ,might the last trip this season .

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2018, 10:08 AM »
It's not looking good for Wednesday with a 90% chance of RAIN @ 53°.  Thursday is much better at 20%
@ 47°.  We may be all done for this year.  >:(
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2018, 10:12 AM »

I'm going Wednesday hopefully  Jeff can go that day anybody else that wants to throw in ,might the last trip this season .

Weathers changing it up for Wednesday now, can you make Thursday?

It's not looking good for Wednesday with a 90% chance of RAIN @ 53°.  Thursday is much better at 20%
@ 47°.  We may be all done for this year.  >:(

Thursday will work, hopefully it holds out. It did go into the teens this morning. I have no doubt we'll have some slush, good thing is the snow isn't that deep this year so it can only get so bad
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Icejunkieb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2018, 08:06 PM »
Rain is supposed to come in the afternoon and hang around into thursday.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Man this weather is messing this weeks trip all up, its a higher % for storms on wednedsay but yes it is creeping into thursday. I still think thursday is the best looking day. Those are the only days i have available to go for this week  ??? ??? :-\ Hopefully there will be some reports pop up of ice conditions. I have seen some slush pics but they didn't look to bad at all for sleds
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I just realized this morning that Thursday is the opening day for the ISE and I'm already scheduled to attend that day.  I guess ice fishing isn't in the cards for me this week.  Damn!  Could be I'm done for the year with this unusual weather we're having this year.  Oh well.

I guess I can start putting the boat back together this week.  Sold my Scotty DRs on Saturday and ordered 4 new Cannons.  The Cannons should be here next week and installed.  Found a killer deal on some 10 lb, vinyl coated, cast iron, pancake weights on Amazon - $24 each.  I'm also going to order and install an iTroll system to precisely control my kicker motor speed.  It's going to be a great soft water season this year - I hope.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Sounds good Bob, Me & Fishon1 are still going to give it a go and see what happens. Might have to push it to Friday with the storm that cant make up its mind
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Ok so changed it to Friday now. Hopefully the weather doesn't change again
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2018, 02:20 PM »
I like Friday!  ;D  We'll talk later.  I'll see if Big Earl can make it Friday as well.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2018, 02:31 PM »
Sounds good Bob, only thing is we need to leave by 2-3 at the latest to make back home for a celebration of life for a friends son that passed
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Not a problem.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Online glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2018, 10:51 PM »
Ok so changed it to Friday now. Hopefully the weather doesn't change again

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.....! You better go soon before the ice goes! I'll probably be fishing on Viva Naughton on Thursday as I need to be in Kemmerer for something on Thursday evening. Good luck. 

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2018, 08:03 AM »
 Good luck boys! I’m probably going to head to tongue River Reservoir in Montana and try to go get some Pike. one of my goals this year was to catch a hammer handle. Almost got one last week but it turned out to be a largemouth bass instead.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.....! You better go soon before the ice goes! I'll probably be fishing on Viva Naughton on Thursday as I need to be in Kemmerer for something on Thursday evening. Good luck.

I know, I know this weather is not helping the ice at all! We are in for friday for sure. Sounds like the ice is holding out good at viva from lippy's last report. Good luck up there Glen

Good luck boys! I’m probably going to head to tongue River Reservoir in Montana and try to go get some Pike. one of my goals this year was to catch a hammer handle. Almost got one last week but it turned out to be a largemouth bass instead.

Good luck on the pike Joe, give me a call and I can tell you what I was doing at Yuba to get my 36". Only thing is you need to atleast be able to use 2 rods
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Change of plans, prospector has landed. See you guys in the morning.Thanks for letting me show up with just a Fishing pole and a prayer!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2018, 10:42 PM »
We'll see you in the am  :icefish: :icefish:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 16, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Have a great day today you guy's. Be safe and take lots of pictures. We'll be waiting for a report!  ;D
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2018, 11:31 AM »
It's a beautiful day and the fishing is hot. Here's a few teasers

More to come

Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com