Author Topic: Tip up leader and memory???  (Read 843 times)

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip up leader and memory???
« on: Dec 07, 2017, 04:45 AM »
Hey guys I have tried a few different type of leaders with my top ups and I keep running into the same “coil” affect because of memory. Is this due to the freezing water then the heating up on transport? The only like I haven’t had an issue with is red line from polar! It’s not tough enough for my application. Looking for some insote from you guys!! Any info is appreciated even if it’s me doing it wrong thanks!
Wait there's ice????

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Tip up leader and memory???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:07 AM »
All extruded plastic material will have memory issues to some extent. This means mono (of any polymer) and fluoro will exhibit this to varying degrees. Warmth helps as does soaking in water.

The only memory free leaders are any of the superlines (braid or fused) or uncoated stranded steel. A curled or kinked steel is an issue other than memory. Curls can be straightened and kinks should be replaced.

What's your application?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:13 AM »
yep, any mono line is gonna get a memory from being coiled around a spool. What I do is unwrap the mono leader from the spool and then give it a good stretching. Just like a fly line. I pull a couple ft. of the line through my fingers a couple times to warm it up and on the 3rd or 4th pull I hold it straight under tension for a few seconds, then move to the next couple ft.  This only takes a half a minute or so and the line will be nice and straight.

I do the same thing to the line coming out of my jigging rods from time to time if they are coiled bad. I'll drip a jig down the hole and when it gets to the bottom I'll put the rod down and stretch the line back up the hole until I get to the jig, no more coil.

Chute82

« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:36 AM »
Old fly fishing trick to straighten your leader is to run if through a piece of leather, just warm it and stretch it a little...just be careful not to warm it to much as it will weaken the line

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:41 AM »
Thanks guys I have never tried stretching the line out to straighten it but will give it a try.
Wait there's ice????

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:04 AM »
Definitely stretch the line out.  It works.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:17 AM »
I don't have much as problem with it in lighter line sizes as I do in the heavy lines . Depending on your application keep it as light as you can get away with.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:26 PM »
i was just changing mine from last year getting ready and i noticed that some more than other were REALLY bad, i use 4, 6, 8, or 12 lb leaders and it didnt seem to be anyting specific just a few crappy ones.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2017, 04:21 AM »
fish dont care about coils. lol  like others said stretch it.  you can also use snaps to detach the leaders and hold them on a keeper.  i couldnt care less if my leaders are kinked up some.  it makes for a softer take.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2017, 04:42 AM »
I don't about it on the light lines, however my 60lb Pike leaders do stay in a coil.  To minimize the coiling I keep them inside at night so the leader is not as stiff as it would be if it had been kept at ambient.  The coiling causes me a couple problem s.
First aggressive baits will turn your leader into a 70's macrame plant hanger and second the baits are not at the depths I want.  I wear the rubber /knit mechanic gloves when I set up so I pull the leader through 2 finger tips to warm, streatch and straighten the leader like the leather trick.

Catch some BIG ones!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:32 AM »
Back in the day when I used tip ups (I used to fish Champlain where 15 were allowed, but (not surprising) fishing has gone to hell), I would pull out a length of leader and stick the hook in the end of the collapsed tip up, keeping it pretty tight.  That way, at least 18" or so of leader was straight.  You could also do it with a rubber band which would allow more pay on the length you were trying to straighten.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:13 AM »
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.