Author Topic: how do you move your hard side's?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
how do you move your hard side's?
« on: Dec 08, 2004, 06:40 PM »
i'm just trying to get an idea of how everyone moves their hard side shacks to the water this is my first 8x8 hard side and don't know what to really expect
what kinda trailer do you use what size and how high is it off the ground?
how do you get it on the trailer winch or jack it up?
is wind a factor on driving it to the water?
just give me a run down on  your set up
 my shack is 8x8 800lbs with 10 foot skids i just picked up a 6x8 trailer with 13 inch tires its rated at 2000lbs when i tip it up the hitch end is 3' 6'' off the ground I'm going to bolt on 8' 4x4's across the width to make it 8' now should i use two jack alls to lift the front of the shack higher that the 3'6'' then just slip the trailer under or am i asking for trouble jacking it up that high or should i jack up the shack a little then try to winch it on the rest of the way with a cable (come along). i also have to drive it 1hr and half to get it to the lake, i should have thought about this well before the season and the cold weather came along,any ideas

Offline leon

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: how do you move your hard side's?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Don't have a shack myself but you might be able to use the jacks like they use on a truck camper, the style that you can flip up when not in use. Just a thought.
        leon

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2004, 06:48 PM »
i have an 8 x8 but it only weighs about half of what yours does.i bring it to the lake on a double wide snowmobile trailer that is about 2' off the ground.whole thing is about 8 1/2' tall.we tip the shanty up, back the trailer under,and lower it onto trailer.

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2004, 08:05 PM »
i made myself a 6 by 12 feet iceshanty and the harder is to put it on the trailer.you must take your time and buy a couple of six pack and invite some friend.i use 2 jack and a chainblock.the easyest part is to land it.this is how i did ;D

hope it help ;D ;D ;D

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2004, 11:05 PM »
that makes me feel better to make it on the long drive to have it only fall off at the lake.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2004, 06:48 AM »
This is how I do it with my 8x8 that weighs less than yours but maybe more than  billditrite's.

This is how I move it on the ice.

This is how I move it on land.  My trailer is an old one. It is just under 8' wide and it is 8' long.  I use a car jack and lift the trailer side as I as I can get it. I then tilt my trailer and back underneath it far enough to get about 1/4 to 1/2 of the house on. Then I just push it on. I did not have a problem going 50mph with it on the trailer. This year though, I put on a galvie roof so it might be more of a concer,

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2004, 07:07 AM »
This year is the first for my hard shack. We have a system though...we purchased a 40 dollar electric winch off ebay. It works like a champ for loading. to unload, we tilt the trailer, hook the other end of the shack up to a sled, and drive away. We'll be pulling ours with snowmobiles this year.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2004, 07:15 AM »
Never thought about a winch........I have used come-a-longs too but the winch is perfect!

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2004, 08:16 AM »
I am in the process of building an 8x8 that is going to be heavy, but we are building it so it comes apart. We have an 8x8 sled trailer that we are going to try and use to take the shanty out assembled. Once we get it on the trailer we should be able to tell if its going to work or not, but hey if it doesn't we will just unbolt it and take it out in pieces on the trailer. Oh ya how to get it on the trailer, just buy beer and invite some guys over, I think most of us will do pretty much anything for free beer!!!

icebigboy, I hope that our shanty doesn't fall over like that,  maybe a set of roll bars would help!!
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2004, 08:53 AM »
mine is 6x10....heavy...and this is the first time i trailered it fully assembled....we got lucky the day we started loading....the neighbor came over with his tractor/front loader and chain lifted each end on the trailer for us....the pic includes Big Walleye resting on the fender once it was chained down and strapped...no problem at 50mph for just about 100 miles...here's the pic....Grump                                                                                                 

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2004, 09:25 AM »
Grump................B efore you identified that thing on the fender, I thought it was a "dummy" or manican!

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2004, 07:21 AM »
If you have a quad with a winch, back it in the truck, leave tailgate down & winch it right up onto your tilt trailer.just remember to attach your quad to the truck with straps. :clap:

Offline nailbender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Beer tastes so much better on ice
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2004, 11:19 AM »
I have a7x12 and we bought 4 camper jacks one at each corner with a 5 ft chain attaches to schackles on the skids the top of the chain is attached to a 4x6x10 which sits on the jacks i just crank her up back under it with my 8x8 sled bed and away we go the whole process takes about 15 minutes and works slick good luck man
If there was no ice I would shake the dice and see if my portable sled worked as a boat

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.