Author Topic: How deep for Live imaging???  (Read 1826 times)

Offline bassnbud8

• IceShanty Rookie
How deep for Live imaging???
« on: Jan 27, 2023, 06:51 AM »
I was told by a guide that my live imaging sonar won’t be effective in 40’+ water, any truth to that? How about if I use down perspective? Thanks!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How deep for Live imaging???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2023, 07:09 AM »
Not sure on the unit that you have, but it should work for a depth of over 40'.  Guys use it all the time fishing for lakers and they can get to 120' depth.

Not sure what the guide was thinking.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Whamperskitty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2023, 08:28 AM »
 I have the lvs32. When laker fishing 90ft seems to be when performance starts to drops off. Works well,  flasher though hard to beat.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:05 AM »
I used the Garmin LVS32 for 4 ice seasons, in my opinion the LVS32 is pretty good down to 60 feet, after that it is more difficult to keep track of your bait.  I got the new LVS34 about a month ago, it definitely has more depth range than the LVS32.  I have had no experience with the Lowrance Live units, but heard from someone that owns one that says the Garmin is better as it has more adjustability.  I take stock in what he says, he bought my used Garmin LVS32 package.

Offline bassnbud8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2023, 12:38 PM »
I got the lvs 32 transducer.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2023, 05:58 PM »
Add a second transducer and run them together for more than 60’ with lvs32.

Offline Sharkbait22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:38 PM »
Depends on which model lvs you have, the size of the fish and your lure. The older 12 and 32 were not great past 40ft for me but I use small crappie jigs for whitefish. Target separation on the 34 is 14cm at 100ft. Both the 32 and 34 are high frequency so they are limited compared to the lower frequency used on the XR (62) model. High frequency = poor depth peneration but greater detail. Lower frequency poorer detail but goes to further depths. The original panoptix was low frequency. The PS 30 and 31 models are incredible for deeper water, very wide angles too.

I have yet to see how the lvs34 works in 60-100 fow while using a small jig.

Offline bassnbud8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2023, 05:25 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!

Offline UnderTheIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2023, 12:19 PM »
Just want to chime in.  I just upgraded to the 62 for deep water fishing.  Really impress so far.  Used a number 5 jigging rap and can see the jig all the way at the bottom at 150 fow.  Not moving the jig, it still shows up bold next to bottom.  My experience from the 32 and 34 model, once it starts reaching its max depth, the only way you can get your lure to show up is by jigging it and even then it will only show up flickering on and off as you jig and disappears if you hold it still.

Now the real challenge will be trying different size and weight lures to see at 200 fow once I have more walkable ice.  If you are curious as to what other lures can be seen at what depth with the 62, let me know and I can try to test it out

Offline Sharkbait22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2023, 06:30 AM »
Thanks for chiming in Under the Ice. I looked up the length of a #5 jigging rap 2". That's great if you're seeing that well (little flickering) at 150 fow.  Crappie jigs are the smallest I go or a sebile Vibrato 1.5" 1/8oz lure. And generally less than 80fow. The XR pretty expensive,  34 less so. Hopefully a laker angler with a 34 describes their experience.  I've also read good things about the PS30 transducer mainly great depth abilities,  a wide cone 120x90, and because target returns are exaggerated its easier to readon a 10" screen from a distance.  Oh ya the PS30 doesn't require the gls10 processor, so that's cheaper, lighter and less battery needed. I'm looking for a used ps30 but also waiting for a good 34 review on deep laker fishing.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2023, 06:47 AM »
Just want to chime in.  I just upgraded to the 62 for deep water fishing.  Really impress so far.  Used a number 5 jigging rap and can see the jig all the way at the bottom at 150 fow.  Not moving the jig, it still shows up bold next to bottom.  My experience from the 32 and 34 model, once it starts reaching its max depth, the only way you can get your lure to show up is by jigging it and even then it will only show up flickering on and off as you jig and disappears if you hold it still.

Now the real challenge will be trying different size and weight lures to see at 200 fow once I have more walkable ice.  If you are curious as to what other lures can be seen at what depth with the 62, let me know and I can try to test it out

I’d be very interested in that review!

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2023, 06:53 AM »
Thanks for chiming in Under the Ice. I looked up the length of a #5 jigging rap 2". That's great if you're seeing that well (little flickering) at 150 fow.  Crappie jigs are the smallest I go or a sebile Vibrato 1.5" 1/8oz lure. And generally less than 80fow. The XR pretty expensive,  34 less so. Hopefully a laker angler with a 34 describes their experience.  I've also read good things about the PS30 transducer mainly great depth abilities,  a wide cone 120x90, and because target returns are exaggerated its easier to readon a 10" screen from a distance.  Oh ya the PS30 doesn't require the gls10 processor, so that's cheaper, lighter and less battery needed. I'm looking for a used ps30 but also waiting for a good 34 review on deep laker fishing.

The PS30 shouldn’t even be in the conversation, it’s just not in the same class.
The 32 works fine to about 40 or 50 feet, still a bit of delay.  I add a second transducer and run both, gives me the best of both worlds and makes fishing in deep water possible.  The 34 is better at everything, gives you another 50 feet for jigging.  Still find the second transducer key.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2023, 06:54 AM »

For info on running 2 ducers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.