Author Topic: Frabill bait station  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
Frabill bait station
« on: Jan 28, 2022, 07:43 PM »
So I have the Frabill bait station 19qt and its awesome.I like that it uses battery,cigarette lighter plug or 120v.The issue is with the lid closed and latched it eventally builds up pressure and forces water  out of mounting for aerator on lid which isnt fun when its on front rack of quad.Has anyone gone thru this and figured out a way for it to be still be water tight but bleed off excess pressure?I know i could just drill a hole in lid but still want it to be water tight.Any suggestions?

Offline sawbelliesam

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Frabill bait station
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2022, 07:01 AM »
How about a petcock like there is on an air compressor to drain the moisture? Just a small turn once in a while to bleed it.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2022, 07:42 AM »
So I have the Frabill bait station 19qt and its awesome.I like that it uses battery,cigarette lighter plug or 120v.The issue is with the lid closed and latched it eventally builds up pressure and forces water  out of mounting for aerator on lid which isnt fun when its on front rack of quad.Has anyone gone thru this and figured out a way for it to be still be water tight but bleed off excess pressure? I know i could just drill a hole in lid but still want it to be water tight. Any suggestions?

Short answer: no. Anything you do to relieve air pressure will also allow water to come out as well so your watertight will be gone.

Other solutions: If it's just a short hop turn off the aerator until you reach your destination. If you have a two speed aerator switch it to low. Or pause occasionally and just release the latch to relieve the pressure.

I initially thought of a mini check valve but that would allow water as well as the air to escape and would probably freeze in very cold weather. Perhaps just a tiny hole and a length of vinyl tubing (like 1/16th inch) to direct any water to a better place?

Maybe it's even easier. What is the "aerator mounting" that allows air/water to vent? That could be the simplest answer. Pics?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2022, 01:57 PM »
I just had the left latch break on my 13qt. and this was my 1st time using it, it was COLD out. I have reached out to the company, but waiting to hear back. Has anyone else had this issue

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2022, 02:06 PM »
Short answer: no. Anything you do to relieve air pressure will also allow water to come out as well so your watertight will be gone.

Other solutions: If it's just a short hop turn off the aerator until you reach your destination. If you have a two speed aerator switch it to low. Or pause occasionally and just release the latch to relieve the pressure.

I initially thought of a mini check valve but that would allow water as well as the air to escape and would probably freeze in very cold weather. Perhaps just a tiny hole and a length of vinyl tubing (like 1/16th inch) to direct any water to a better place?

On my Minnow Magic, since it's a double wall container, I have 2 small bleed holes on "bottom of top cover, and a hole on the top center

Maybe it's even easier. What is the "aerator mounting" that allows air/water to vent? That could be the simplest answer. Pics?

Easy peasy. On my Minnow Magic, since it's a double wall container, I have 2 small bleed holes on "bottom" or inside of lid, and a hole on the top center of lid. Any water that did build up will just drip back in thru lower 2nd hole. In the 23 years since I've made them , I've never had any water come out anywhere. I believe a few guys on here that own them can attest to that....
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:13 PM »
There's gaskets for the screws to hold to the lid but not for the air line.Thats where I believe the water is coming from and probably the designed air bleed.I think im gonna try what rebelss said.Some places I go are quite far either by snowmobile or quad and its would be a pain in the ass to stop and relieve pressure not to mention the hour or two ride from bait shop to lake.Thanks for the advice guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.