New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: A True Lake George Unicorn  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
A True Lake George Unicorn
« on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:44 AM »
Had a slow day overall yesterday, but it will definitely be one I remember for a while. I jigged up an 18” Brown Trout in 100 fow. What a wild experience.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: A True Lake George Unicorn
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:53 AM »
Pretty cool…👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:59 AM »
Brown bomber!!!! And not of the lake variety. Sick fish Zach Wonder where it came from. bucket bio or a curious fish stocked in a feeder creek?

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:26 AM »
There are browns in the lake, not many.  I have usually caught them in the spring near in the feeder creeks...

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2022, 07:37 PM »
so many streams it could have come from. I've caught rainbows in saratoga as well as browns in canadarago.  Two places where they aren't supposed to be any trout

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:35 AM »
Still on my LG bucket list, along with one of those rare LG Walleyes.  :D

Fishmon

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:36 AM »
Need to add that to my list.  Have caught occasional Brookie or rainbow but no Brown Trout yet.  Nice catch.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:20 AM »
nice brown
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2022, 04:30 PM »
There are browns in the lake, not many.  I have usually caught them in the spring near in the feeder creeks...

Yup. Nice fish Zach.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2022, 09:50 AM »
Yup. Nice fish Zach.

Thanks Jon, appreciate it

Offline crappiekiller315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • THATS HOW I ROLL SUCKA'S
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2022, 11:05 PM »
so many streams it could have come from. I've caught rainbows in saratoga as well as browns in canadarago.  Two places where they aren't supposed to be any trout
at one time there was landlocks browns and smelt in canadrago late 80's
why is it everytime i start catchin fish a GREMLIN pop's up in my hole

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2022, 08:46 AM »
Awesome brown, nice catch! I caught a 21.5" rainbow at the mouth of the Kayadeross while night fishing Saratoga Lake a few years back. I was equally surprised! Love the oddball catches! Tight lines!
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2022, 05:12 AM »
That’s such a Wild catch Zach! Glad it was you! 😊

When Bill showed me the Pic last week we were scratching our heads on this one! We both kinda knew what it was but I think we were hesitant to admit it! Lol!

Years ago as a fledgling ice fisherman I caught an 11lb “Brown” on Eaton because after all, the state says they’re in there!
Capt JJ set me straight as to what it really was when I excitedly brought it in to Fish307!!! Was pretty funny looking back on that one now!
Congratulations Bro, that certainly is a Unicorn!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2022, 08:22 AM »

When Bill showed me the Pic last week we were scratching our heads on this one! We both kinda knew what it was but I think we were hesitant to admit it! Lol!

Years ago as a fledgling ice fisherman I caught an 11lb “Brown” on Eaton because after all, the state says they’re in there!
Capt JJ set me straight as to what it really was when I excitedly brought it in to Fish307!!! Was pretty funny looking back on that one now!

Thanks Mike!! I initally thought it was a landlocked until i had a couple people start to question it as a shared with friends. Had to make sure i checked the teeth after i cleaned it as they dont lie. So pumped when i could confirm it was a brown. I would have been equally pumped about jigging a landlocked out of 100 fow as well but catching a species not normally caught in the lake definitely tops that for me.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2022, 08:27 AM »
good for you man  :thumbsup:

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2022, 08:44 AM »

JJ

« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2022, 09:51 AM »

I remember that Mike, and it was around the time that a guy caught a beautiful male brown, over 6lbs, from LG in February... and somehow I confused the 2 stories since then and thought that was you. The lake didn't freeze that winter and we just had a big rain, he was casting a Cleo from shore near a brook inlet that was raging; pretty sure the guy fished like that on Lake O and tried it since he was in the area.

The same brook used to have wild browns that we caught once in a while, don't think any are left. Several years ago I went on a hike with a USFWS biologist looking at brooks for potential wild trout and salmon reproduction, didn't find any streams that would be suitable on LG.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2022, 08:07 AM »
I remember that Mike, and it was around the time that a guy caught a beautiful male brown, over 6lbs, from LG in February... and somehow I confused the 2 stories since then and thought that was you. The lake didn't freeze that winter and we just had a big rain, he was casting a Cleo from shore near a brook inlet that was raging; pretty sure the guy fished like that on Lake O and tried it since he was in the area.

The same brook used to have wild browns that we caught once in a while, don't think any are left. Several years ago I went on a hike with a USFWS biologist looking at brooks for potential wild trout and salmon reproduction, didn't find any streams that would be suitable on LG.

Were streams unsuitable for both the trout and salmon? I thought we had some natural brook trout reproduction on a couple of those tributary streams entering the lake 

JJ

« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:46 AM »
They were looking mostly at suitable spawning habitat for salmon coming from the lake, along with possibly trout. The native brookies live and spawn in the streams as they always did, just don't get very big. There used to be some spawning rainbows, last time I saw rainbow trout parr in one stream was over 10 years ago, but don't fish it much any more.

Offline adk iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2022, 12:12 PM »
There is still some rainbows in brooks on the east side. I’ve always wondered how they originally got in the brooks as I’ve caught them pretty far up from the lake
Can I go fishing? Unless it’s on Brant, I can’t.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.