IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

Pop up hubs

(1/3) > >>

Lucass111:
Hey guys I'm not trying to start a clam vs otter thread. I'm looking at getting a new pop up hub and I've narrowed it down to the otter vortex lodge or the clam x400. I'm looking for pros and cons of either. If anyone owns 1 or the other your thoughts are greatly appreciated. The one thing I've noticed is the otter doesn't have those micro pin holes like clam. Thanks in advance!

Papa Sly:
I have owned a Clam pop up as well  as a 1 man  pull over. The pull over was at least 10 years ago when Clam was  good quality and it was a great shelter. The hub was 2 years ago and it was horrible...made in China and the quality showed. The pin holes you could see through leaked anytime it rained. The zipper broke the third time out and the hub ploe broke first year...gave it away. I also had an old Cabelas 360 that was made by Clam and although the windows were great for watching tip-ups 2 poles broke on that and the back zipper alsr broke! Just an FYI I also had a Eskimo quick fish 3 and a Eskimo 949 and both served me well...my only complaint was their bags, could never get the shelter back in the bag.
This year I got the new Otter vortex pro with the new large open door, and the quality is by far the best. The tent material is like nothing I have ever had, high carbon hub poles are great, new door system is the best, and it comes with either 9 or 11 anchors but it has a anchor system on each outer corner that attaches to tent and allows you to tighten the strap attached to it. Cant wait to get some ice, but slept overnight in the back yard and holds heat well. This is my first Otter and although a little more money its worth every dime!

slipperybob:
Otter >>>> Clam.  ;D

DBV:
I have used an Otter Cabin Hub the past 3 years and it has been great.  Perfect for 1/2 people and have had 3 in it, but that is really tight.  Don’t even need to use the heater that often.   

The Otter Vortex Pro Lodge looks great.  I went in one at Cabelas yesterday and much more room than my cabin and really liked the new door.  Was your Lodge easy to setup with just you?  My cabin is, but was curious if the lodge was too, as thinking about upgrading, but not sure I need that much space, as a lot of times it is just me.

--- Quote from: Papa Sly on Jan 02, 2022, 06:01 PM ---I have owned a Clam pop up as well  as a 1 man  pull over. The pull over was at least 10 years ago when Clam was  good quality and it was a great shelter. The hub was 2 years ago and it was horrible...made in China and the quality showed. The pin holes you could see through leaked anytime it rained. The zipper broke the third time out and the hub ploe broke first year...gave it away. I also had an old Cabelas 360 that was made by Clam and although the windows were great for watching tip-ups 2 poles broke on that and the back zipper alsr broke! Just an FYI I also had a Eskimo quick fish 3 and a Eskimo 949 and both served me well...my only complaint was their bags, could never get the shelter back in the bag.
This year I got the new Otter vortex pro with the new large open door, and the quality is by far the best. The tent material is like nothing I have ever had, high carbon hub poles are great, new door system is the best, and it comes with either 9 or 11 anchors but it has a anchor system on each outer corner that attaches to tent and allows you to tighten the strap attached to it. Cant wait to get some ice, but slept overnight in the back yard and holds heat well. This is my first Otter and although a little more money its worth every dime!

--- End quote ---

kondan:
I've had a Cabela's (made by Clam just black) 80x80 pop up hub for 3 seasons now and have no complaints. Actually did an overnight last season on Lake of Woods in negative temps and it held up great. They all have parts from China so it really is a hit or miss with these items. I paid $275 from Cabelas so no complaints. You'll be fine with either one IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version