Author Topic: Making own lures  (Read 6342 times)

Offline Jaguarxjsport

• IceShanty Rookie
Making own lures
« on: Apr 07, 2020, 04:04 AM »
Has anyone used the Do It jig molds to make their own lures?
I am interested in making mine namely the 3071 Tube M, and 3218 TUBE-TC molds, I am not sure which hooks go with them as I have received conflicting advice. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
John
John in Lancashire , UK.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Making own lures
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2020, 07:00 AM »
Both molds call for the Eagle Claw 570 or 575 jig hooks, pretty much a standard for most basic Do-It products. You're not limited to EC hooks though. I've substituted (at one time or another):

- Gamakatsu 114
- Matzuo 9014
- Mustad 32746BLN
- Mustad 32756
- Sohumi 105
- Sohumi 103
- Daiichi 4660
- VMC 9147BZ
- I'm sure there are others...

Honestly I like Eagle Claw products. The only hook I know of that is US made. Sometimes not a sharp out of the box and certainly not a sexy brand but still great hooks.

If you're new to casting jigs DO provide adequate ventilation. Always take the time to make sure your hooks are properly placed in the mold. The mold should close easily on the hook(s). If not open it up and insure they are all in their places. Forcing a mold closed, even a little bit will booger it up and there's really no fixing it once you have.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2020, 07:01 AM »
no, but I can still answer why you get conflicting advise.  some like bigger hooks.  maybe they are after crappie maybe gills?  also if you fished very long, you know bigger hooks hold fish better.  .  go to tackle shop and compare for what you feel you need.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2020, 07:53 AM »
no, but I can still answer why you get conflicting advise.  some like bigger hooks.  maybe they are after crappie maybe gills?  also if you fished very long, you know bigger hooks hold fish better.  .  go to tackle shop and compare for what you feel you need.

And that is a great point regarding hook sizes too. I fish a pile of 1/16 jigs for walleyes in the spring/summer but the recommended hook size is often too small. You can usually upsize at least one and sometimes more sizes without damaging the mold. Alternatives include modifying the mold to accept or do what you need.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2020, 05:00 PM »
The eagle claw hooks are pretty good, just need a sharpen every once in a while. I have noticed that when I pull them out from last season they corrode easily and many get tossed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.