Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Live Baits and Plastics

Perch Belly

(1/2) > >>

Stickhick86:
I have heard of a lot of people using Perch belly pieces as bait but have never seen it done. Are they being used on jigs or set up on tip ups or both? I have heard they work for both perch and walleye and I was thinking about giving it a try. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks.

Yukoner:
No perch up here, but pike belly works very well on everything.  Big strips for lake trout and pike,  two to three inchers for whitefish, grayling, rainbows, and burbot.

Ted

Agronomist_at_IA:

--- Quote from: Stickhick86 on Mar 07, 2019, 06:24 PM ---I have heard of a lot of people using Perch belly pieces as bait but have never seen it done. Are they being used on jigs or set up on tip ups or both? I have heard they work for both perch and walleye and I was thinking about giving it a try. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I've seen people do it. They usually cut a u or v shape part out of the belly then hook it on the spoon or jig. Works well if you don't have bait.

What works even better is popping out a perch eye and fishing with that. Be careful though because it is illegal in a lot of states.......Mainly because idiots were popping out the eyes on a perch then throwing it back in the lake. It's one thing to use an eye from a perch you iced and plan to eat that's dead and taking it from one you plan to throw back.

ice dawg:
My father would use perch belly strips for bait when he ran out of minnows. As I remember they seemed to work well.

esox_xtm:
X2 on the pike belly...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version