Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Hardwater Cuisine

pickerel worth keeping?

(1/4) > >>

TeeBugg:
ive been seeing posts on social media about keeping pickerel and wondering if i should try a few! if i were to pickle them, do the small bones dissolve? never tried this before so forgive me!

jign4koks:
Yep, the vinegar takes care of the bones.  If you like pickled fish, small pike/pickerel are great candidates. 

Muggsy:
My fishing partner caught a real nice one, about 24" during the open water season a couple of years ago. I filleted it based on a Youtube video and my wife cooked it along with some panfish I kept that day. The pickerel was really quite good when done with the basic light breading and pan frying. My less than perfect fillet job left a few bones to work around but not too big a problem. Not strong flavored or fishy at all; at least this fish wasn't.

I wouldn't hesitate to keep another large one.

TIBS:
I just pickled a pike for the first time before Christmas, it turned out pretty good, much better than herring IMO.  I’ve never caught pickerel, they’re not around here at all, but I’m guessing that the bone structure is similar?  I left the y-bones in my 27” fish and the vinegar took care of them.

PIKE FISHERMAN:
Abso-friggin-lutly they are worth keeping. Just  cooked  one on the ice this weekend. Nice white flaky white meat

Look up the pike bonless fillet technique on YouTube. No bones for pike or pickerel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version