Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Live Baits and Plastics

first bait tank build

(1/18) > >>

Ravo Himself:
so after gathering all the information from you guys that i think i need, i started piecing together my bait tank

its a 54 gallon rubbermaid tote from home depot

decent size. correct me if i'm wrong but i think if the filter works as good as i hope i should be able to get about 150-250 shiners depending on size

heres where the fun modifications came in

filter bucket sits in the hole. i drilled a lot of holes in the bottom for the drain/airation.
i plan to layer the bucket from the top down: poly fill, carbon meadia, ceramic media, bio balls

i dont have pictures yet but i also put a cut all the way across about 3" in front of the bucket so i can hinge the lid for easy access

FRESHBAIT:
looking good so far!!  It'll be interesting to see how the lid holds up to the weight of the filter,   It may want to collaspe in.   
Interesting design so far,  can't wait to see it in action.   

Kevin23:
Loookin good! I'd also be weary about the lid not supporting the weight, especially if you cut it. I've cut them before and tried to hinge them, it doesnt work.

If you havent drilled holes in the bottom of your bucket yet, try building a small stand taller than your tank and put the bucket next to the filter instead of on top of it. Then run a piece of PVC out the bottom and angle it to drop the water in through the big hole you cut. That way you dont have to take the filter off the tank to get at the bait or even look at them.

beeverfishing:

--- Quote from: BBK on Nov 11, 2012, 10:43 AM ---Loookin good! I'd also be weary about the lid not supporting the weight, especially if you cut it. I've cut them before and tried to hinge them, it doesnt work.

If you havent drilled holes in the bottom of your bucket yet, try building a small stand taller than your tank and put the bucket next to the filter instead of on top of it. Then run a piece of PVC out the bottom and angle it to drop the water in through the big hole you cut. That way you dont have to take the filter off the tank to get at the bait or even look at them.

--- End quote ---

X2

Kevin23:
Oops sorry, I misspoke in that last reply. I meant put the bucket on the stand next to your tank.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version