Author Topic: Up-grade  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
Up-grade
« on: Oct 05, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Looking for some guidance: I’m up-grading to and setting up for Ice a Humminbird  Helix 7 chirp DI GPS G2 . If I’m reading correctly it comes pre loaded with  Humminbird UniMap and AutoChart Live. My question is what if any map system should I add ( Humminbird Lake Master, LakeMaster Plus, Smart Strike, Navionics Gold/HotMaps or Navionics Platinum) any knowledge here would be appreciated
Geezer

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Up-grade
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2018, 10:15 AM »
I have a Helix 5 and Lakemaster Plus.  Works great.

I might be cautious about Navionics in the long-term because they were just purchased by Garmin.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2018, 11:09 AM »
I have a helix 5 and found a deal on Smart Strike card on Amazon for $160 and pulled the trigger on that. Like it so far!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Geezer, I have the same Helix unit and use the Lakemaster Plus Chip. It has HD maps for some of the lakes I fish in my area. You may want to check the lake list for your area on the Lakemaster website.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Nice Gale, I don't have alot of experience with those but joe might. I agree with what icedawg said that you should be able to check the pertinent website for the Lakes they work on. Bad thing with utah is there's not alot of HD lakes. You may get the berry, gorge and bear. Let us know how it goes and I'll look forward to checking it out at Henry's
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2018, 02:01 PM »
That is my question.  Are the Lakemaster lakes that are not HD better than what is on the base map?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Thanks guys,
I have checked out the Smart Strike and really like it however the Lake coverage in Utah,Idaho, and Colorado is really limited. Only one Lake in Utah. So I’ve ruled it out and I think the Navionics are ruled out also. I’ll have to study the difference between Lake Master and Lake master plus. I’ve ordered the ice ducer and bag for it. The first real test will be Henry’s getting excited.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Not sure why some of y'all are down on Navionics.  I've been using it on my Lowrance products and on my Andriod phone for about 5 years now and have never had an issue with either.  While back visiting Myrtle Beach, SC last Spring, I asked the sonar guy at the BPS store there which brand name sonar was the top choice in that area.  His answer really surprised me - Garmin outsells Lowrance AND Humminbird, with Lowrance coming in second in sales for that area of the country.  It is because Garmin has more off shore/ocean features than do the other two.  I don't know why it would be a bad thing if Garmin has in fact purchased Navionics.  But that's just my experience so far with a little bit of knowledge research thrown in.

It is also my experience that the Utah/Idaho coverage of lake bottom contours is very limited regardless of which mapping product you choose.  Pick your top 2 or 3 summer/winter lakes and then choose the product that covers the most.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Thanks Dubob,
I’m really not down on Navionics or the fact that Garmin is buying them. I’ve used Garmin hand held for years with nothing but praise for their product. However I feel that using a Humminbird product in a Humminbird unit is far better than making another brand work that might or might not be completely compatible. My experience so far with a little knowledge and considerable research thrown in . Besides LakeMaster Plus is on sale lol

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Besides LakeMaster Plus is on sale lol
Yeah; well; kind of hard to argue with common sense.   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2018, 09:38 AM »
That is my question.  Are the Lakemaster lakes that are not HD better than what is on the base map?
piersm2;
 I have ordered the LakeMaster Plus so I will have to let you know how it looks after my first outing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.