New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I'm Done..over it  (Read 4275 times)

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I'm Done..over it
« on: Mar 01, 2023, 04:35 PM »
Well, never got any or on any ice here at home. Did take our annual trip to the Adirondacks and had a blast on 12 to 18 inches of ice. Caught a bunch of fish. But I'm done...I'm over it. Ain't getting anymore anytime soon, So I got 14 Maple trees tapped and have collected enough sap that I'll be boiling syrup this weekend.

Good luck, tight lines and Happy Maple Sugaring fellow sugar makers.

To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I'm Done..over it
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2023, 09:35 AM »
Where did you find 18" of ice in the ADK?
I haven't heard of anything over a foot this year.

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2023, 08:01 PM »
No one likes a quitter  ;D ;D ;D

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2023, 02:37 PM »
I also said I am done trying to maneuver un-safe ice a few weeks ago, so I now take the boat out to my ice fishing spots and anchor both ends and jig fish for perch with my ice rods and have done good this last week.  So if you have a boat don't put the ice rods away and give up. Calm days are the best.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2023, 03:23 PM »
A couple just drowned last Sunday I packed up a couple weeks ago taking big boat out Monday

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2023, 03:34 PM »
Obviously a lot of the bigger lakes are sketchy and have been that way for most of the winter - lots of safe ice out there too though.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2023, 06:55 PM »
I think I will be getting on good ice for most of March, but I do need to drive a lot of miles to get to it. Sorry for you guys that are not able to get out any more this season close to where you live. I know I need to travel for this sport every season, so I budget time and money for it because there is no hobby that I enjoy more than this.  ;D
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2023, 07:27 PM »
It’s just starting to get good!! Best fishing from here out with some smaller lakes by me having best conditions yet this season and guys already throwing in the towel?!?! Could do without this snow tonight  ::). Hoping for the minimum.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2023, 06:39 AM »
i'm  just  no  comfortable  on the ice  near  me  and   two  mor  drownings  on a  small pond  ....i'm enjoying fishing open water ....the  guys  up  north  seem  to be  finding ice  but i  cant see driving 100 miles to catch  perch i can  catch in open water  by my house ....sure  hope the  guys traveling  nort  hammer them   :thumbsup:

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2023, 12:22 PM »
I'll be getting in a couple more gill/crappie trips.  Maybe tomorrow after noon if all the snow is cleaned up or Mon  morning

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2023, 01:52 PM »
I'll be getting in a couple more gill/crappie trips.  Maybe tomorrow after noon if all the snow is cleaned up or Mon  morning

I'm heading out Monday morning as well .....

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2023, 02:31 PM »
We are taking boat out Monday just fired it up all loaded ready to go screw the ice

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2023, 05:35 PM »
Never made it out. Bummed. Hate saying this but not going to happen. Wife surgery and getting old. Have to sleep every day. Back in the day I'd be heading out with planks, ropes, and life jackets. Never needed sleep and I'd make it happen no matter how far I had to drive or drag.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2023, 05:52 AM »
One dead in local pond I fish by our farm yesterday people will never learn

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2023, 07:10 AM »
One dead in local pond I fish by our farm yesterday people will never learn

You have to be careful any time you ice fish, and preferably know the water you are fishing - especially certain times of the year.  The lake I fish has never had more, or harder, ice this year than it does right now .....

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2023, 10:25 AM »
Well my pan is sweetened, and I got a small draw. First time ever making Golden Delicious grade. Waiting on next run.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2023, 10:29 AM »
Well done

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2023, 11:20 AM »
Well my pan is sweetened, and I got a small draw. First time ever making Golden Delicious grade. Waiting on next run.

What makes it golden delicious?

I made a quart last week. Probably going to do another this week.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2023, 03:02 PM »
What makes it golden delicious?

I made a quart last week. Probably going to do another this week.

Grade, by color and flavor
Golden- delicate-very light
Amber-rich flavor
Dark-robust flavor
Very Dark-strong flavor

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2023, 03:24 PM »
Grade, by color and flavor
Golden- delicate-very light
Amber-rich flavor
Dark-robust flavor
Very Dark-strong flavor

Great job - looks awesome

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2023, 07:48 AM »

hell ya that looks awesome

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2023, 01:27 PM »
I've taken great pains to improve my filtering process for clarity. Some day I may enter in the county fair. I think I could do well as a back yard sugar maker. I think I may get 1 more run of Golden before I start getting Amber.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2023, 02:07 PM »
you should  enter your  product looks  very good

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2023, 03:02 PM »
Looks very good. It's a shame I have to be careful about my sugar intake.  And I do love a big stack of pancakes and eggs

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2023, 07:10 PM »
My brother taps about 50 trees and usually makes about 3 gallons of syrup each year. It is an interesting read, the Wikipedia article on maple syrup. Northeastern US and eastern Canada account for nearly all of what is made.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2023, 07:21 PM »
My tap count is down this year as I'm only tapping my better producers but I'm on track for my usual 6 gallons. Sugar has been up slightly from past years around 2.4 to 2.6. Hope it keeps up.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2023, 09:09 PM »
i'm  just  no  comfortable  on the ice  near  me  and   two  mor  drownings  on a  small pond  ....i'm enjoying fishing open water ....the  guys  up  north  seem  to be  finding ice  but i  cant see driving 100 miles to catch  perch i can  catch in open water  by my house ....sure  hope the  guys traveling  nort  hammer them   :thumbsup:

Trapper, in any year I drive to the same places, 3-4 hours from where I live to get on the ice. So, I am not going more out of my way than usual this season. The forecast for the Adirondacks is for high temps < 40 and lows at < 30 for the next couple of weeks, so I will be fishing where I always have for the next 2 weeks at least.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2023, 09:13 PM »
My tap count is down this year as I'm only tapping my better producers but I'm on track for my usual 6 gallons. Sugar has been up slightly from past years around 2.4 to 2.6. Hope it keeps up.

krispcritter, that is awesome and you have your own labels and everything, and have the lingo of the trade down. read the wikipedia article on maple syrup and it will make you even more proud of what you are doing. You are in a very small slice of planet earth that makes what you are doing even possible

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 11, 2023, 02:47 PM »
This weather seems like it will make a great, long sugaring season.  I miss my old house for this reason alone which had 14 mature sugar maples on only 1 acre of land.  I now have 5 acres with only 2 maple trees so  it is no longer worthwhile to tap.  I really miss boiling on Sunday afternoons outside.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 11, 2023, 02:54 PM »
This weather seems like it will make a great, long sugaring season.  I miss my old house for this reason alone which had 14 mature sugar maples on only 1 acre of land.  I now have 5 acres with only 2 maple trees so  it is no longer worthwhile to tap.  I really miss boiling on Sunday afternoons outside.

ask a  few  neighbors  most  will gladly  let you tap a  few  trees  especially if  you drop  of a  quart as a thank you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.