New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Snap Weights for Trolling  (Read 2359 times)

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snap Weights for Trolling
« on: Apr 18, 2022, 06:24 PM »
Hello,
I am looking to pick someone's brain regarding snap weights used for for trolling.
Looking to troll for Lakers / Salmon and we do not have down riggers.
Any thoughts / opinions or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy
Let your life proceed by its own designs
Nothing to tell now
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Snap Weights for Trolling
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2022, 04:25 AM »

PM sent

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2022, 06:19 AM »
I guess it depends on how far down you are trying to get. Early in the year I run 5 and 6 color lead core and flat lines for lakers and landlocks. Dipsies are another good option. I run them with fireline to get more depth.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2022, 08:22 AM »
Inline trolling sinkers is also another option
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2022, 03:33 PM »
Snap weights work well.. you just have to figure out what depth you want to achieve..
Like other have said... dipsys and leadcore are also GREAT OPTIONS!!!
For me.. snap weights are 3rd on my preference list...
Tie game for me between dipsys and leadcore.. ALWAYS have 2 rods of lead out and 2 rods with dipsys...
Also...You're apt to get more posts and advice over on MFF rather than here

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2022, 06:51 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!
What exactly is this MFF site?

Currently, I am leaning towards inline sinkers or dipsy divers.

Thanks
Nothing to tell now

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2022, 06:58 PM »

My fish finder

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2022, 05:15 AM »
you would be way better off searching all over the net than that mff site. spend a little time there and youll see why.  then again, if your ok with the way FB treats ya you mite be ok. lol  people dont give info on fishing sites like they used to.  they learned that they were just helping people that didnt want to put in the effort to learn for themselves.  also these sites are full of "spot snipers" lurking for an easy ride, contributing nothing.

https://fishingbooker.com/blog/trolling-for-salmon/

https://reviewyourgear.com/salmon-trolling/

videos on the net can be the best way to learn also.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2022, 05:23 AM »

R.S not everyone on these two sites are afraid to help , yes there are lots of lurkers , that’s what the PM is for 😉

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2022, 05:39 AM »
yes i know that. we are here arent we.  and i never said "afraid to help".  i said they have "learned" not to share.  he can learn a lot more by searching a broader base of input though. and that input is helping him!

i use the PM sometimes but dont trust its "private".  learned that from other people that ran websites.  nothing private on the web. lol

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2022, 05:47 AM »
 Ok let me rephrase I and many on both sites are willing to help and point people in the right direction, yes there are lurkers on both sites , there are knuckle draggers
 Every where, be it work or fishing 😉

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2022, 06:16 AM »
good for you! i too enjoy helping people find fish.  however im not into helping freeloading trolls. lol and i sure don't post the info i used to. like most others.

sharing and helping is what these sites were good for years ago.  now days its more about making money and controlling speech.  nothing like it was even just 10+yrs ago.  and the people that lie about catches on these sites is rising.  people that have been telling "stories" about awesome catches but never and i mean never have posted any pictures for proof.  were several of those fakes over there when i left it.  remember the saying "didn't happen without pics"?  these days even liars with no proof can be heroes on a fishing site. lol  that has ran a lot of good actual "real" fishermen off! what your left with is a bunch of no talent leeches in the end.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2022, 06:38 AM »

We use that phrase all the time lol

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2022, 10:26 AM »
I think most folks on both sites are pretty helpful as long as we are talking about tactics, techniques, and gear.  It's when people start asking about locations that folks get tight lipped.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2022, 04:37 PM »
I think most folks on both sites are pretty helpful as long as we are talking about tactics, techniques, and gear.  It's when people start asking about locations that folks get tight lipped.

100% correct.  Locations and first ice need to be earned.  Tactics like this are fair game.  I have a clamp on downrigger that gets me down 50’ easily enough.  Otherwise i think lead core is the way to go
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2022, 06:06 PM »
I decided on a mini dipsy diver. I do not think I will have to get that deep this weekend.
However, There was no dive chart included with the mini dipsy diver nor can I seem to find one on the internet.

I am assuming that dive depths will be similar to the big jon2.0?

Appreciate all the feedback.
Nothing to tell now

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2022, 06:08 PM »
Following...
I need to find a more productive type of trolling  ;)

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2022, 07:30 PM »
R.S not everyone on these two sites are unwilling to help , yes there are lots of lurkers , the PM function is useful 😉
x2
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2022, 08:33 PM »
I would love to be able to try these at the Kag (out of Nakina) this year but can't get delivery to Canada. New to the site so not sure if the attachment loaded from Scheels.
Stay Safe

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2022, 04:17 AM »
I would love to be able to try these at the Kag (out of Nakina) this year but can't get delivery to Canada. New to the site so not sure if the attachment loaded from Scheels.
Stay Safe

i made my own in the 80s.  sinkers wire and alligator clips.  shrink wrap over the jaws and get strong clips.  you can also make snap weights to clip on in front of long leader swivel.  not like the fish care.  i use a 4ft leader behind 2oz sinkers and do fine on trout here.

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Apr 26, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Thanks R.S. I really like your second suggestion.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Apr 29, 2022, 03:16 PM »
I absolutely love trolling for walleye with lead core. A spool of good lead in 18 lb should get you to 50 ft without any problem. slow the boat speed down as most laker fishermen do and you'll get deeper yet. Ashaway is good line but the color fades fast. Suffix is great line but hard to tie a leader onto. Cabelas as well as bass pro both have lines that I have worked with lately and both get my approval.
 note:  I run a mono leader between 30 - 50 ft long and have a lot more fun than with a down rigger. Try jigging with a down rigger

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2022, 04:18 PM »
  I run a mono leader between 30 - 50 ft long and have a lot more fun than with a down rigger. Try jigging with a down rigger

Following----I have a real aversion to downrigging. Kind of spoils the fun. I have tried to get deep with limited success using a mini Dipsey.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Apr 30, 2022, 04:22 AM »
agreed, i cant stand hassling with riggers.  cant argue with the precision though.

when i troll these days i run short heavy line down behind the transom.  always hated reeling in long lines too.  all that cranking and lost fish sucks.  with the short lines at steep angle i can catch a fish and be back in position in a flash.  can also contour troll and make turn arounds, to go back through a school.

i have also upped the speed.  most guys ive trolled with run too slow IMO. i never had a speedo years ago.  i just put electric on 3 and made hay. lol i only slow down when im trolling after gills deep in summer.  trout cant resist a tiny trap burned past them.

the number one trick for trolling is scent! IMO  turn those fallowers into biters with some power paste!  it will up your catch a good bit. i never troll without it.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Apr 30, 2022, 10:09 AM »
with a little practice and paying attention to what your doing, lead core line can be very close to as accurate as a cannon ball. count your colors, control your boat speed, learn your descent,  and know the lure your using. Your biggest issue will be playing with the wind. On a decent day, I'm sure I can put a lure within 2 ft of a selected fish. I have a couple of cannon Big Johns hanging on my garage wall where they have been for probably 10 yrs and they may be there another 10 before I use them again. Just no fun in it.

I also have a friend who fishes with stainless steel wire line and only needs 1/3 the amount of line that I use with lead. He uses a reel with a counter on it to control his depth. This is also a very functional outfit. You just have to be mindful of getting any kinks in your line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.