New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Erie Blue Pike  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
Lake Erie Blue Pike
« on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:32 PM »
We used to catch them by the dozens during ice out in the 60's. It's amazing what Bethlemhem Steel and these global changes have done to our fisheries. They were some good eating fish too. Stories to share?
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
Re: Lake Erie Blue Pike
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2022, 05:19 AM »
Thank you. I can always count on you for updated information.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline ricksimpson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2022, 09:58 AM »
Blue Walleye

Researchers studying a unique, blueish-coloured strain of walleye say this unusual fish appears to be increasing in number in Canada and the Northern US.

“We’re finding it in Canadian river systems where it was not present a decade ago, and receiving more reports from the northern US”, says Dr. Wayne Schaefer, professor of biological sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Washington Country.

Blue Walleye in OntarioNot to be confused with an Esox Lucius (Silver Pike) located in Little Vermilion Lake, which has been declared extinct since 1983, the blue walleye is just a variation of the standard walleye (Sander Vitreus glaucus).

The blue walleye is characterized by blue shading located mainly on the upper body, most noticeably on the dorsal fins and top part of the tail.

Blue walleye retain this colour due to a lack of yellow skin pigment and a blueish protein in the mucus coating on its skin.

This protein dubbed “sandercyanin,””sander” coming from the genus of the walleye and “cyanin” being the greek word for blue, does not affect the the health or taste of the fish.

Although it is unknown what exactly the sandercyanin is for, most researchers seem to believe it may aid in protecting the walleye from ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun.

Sandercyanin contains a byproduct of red blood cells hemo globin known as, biliverdin. Hemoglobin generally breaks down into biliverdin from exposure to UV radiation.

Due to the fact that biliverdin acts as a sunscreen of sorts in some animals, ironically, it is believed that blue walleyes could be protecting themselves by excreting excess amounts of the very substance caused by its radiation.

Sandercyanin is generally at it’s highest concentration in blue walleye during summer months when the sun is out the most. It is also only located on the walleye’s dorsal fins.

It is believed that a decrease in the zone layer is responsible for the increase in the number of blue walleye.

While generic yellow walleye can also secrete sander cyanin, it is generally only visible on albino walleye.

Researchers plan to further study the effects of Sandercyanin and its relation to UV radiation.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2022, 12:32 PM »
i don't think they were a  color  variaton i think they were a  sub species   and  were  over harvested  and  pollution  took it's  toll ...blue  pike  were alot smaller then walleyes   more the size of perch with  few  ever  getting over 16 inches

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2022, 12:42 PM »
https://buffalonews.com/sports/why-the-coveted-blue-pike-disappeared-from-our-waters/article_8f095ba0-4a74-551e-bb60-73d7ca40f07e.html

Google is helpful.

Only as helpful as a subscription-only site allows unfortunately. Hate pay walls for local news like that

Offline ricksimpson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:21 PM »
I also read an article years ago that the blues were that color because of the fish they ate and the smelt came in and wiped out the blues main source. But genetically there is a species in Canadian rivers that are blue in color they could possibly introduce to Lake Erie??

Offline ricksimpson

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2022, 07:06 PM »
blue pike were small  16 inches was a big one  and walleyes  were in the same water  .....between pollution and over harvesting  they were wiped out .....you hear stories of them in this lake  or that lake but nothing confirmed they are considered extinct ....that means they are all dead....... next week i will tell you how there are no bullsharks in lake ontario and  how bigfoot is bs to .........

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2022, 07:10 PM »
blue pike were small  16 inches was a big one  and walleyes  were in the same water  .....between pollution and over harvesting  they were wiped out .....you hear stories of them in this lake  or that lake but nothing confirmed they are considered extinct ....that means they are all dead....... next week i will tell you how there are no bullsharks in lake ontario and  how bigfoot is bs to .........

But I seen the Sam squatch. Lol
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2022, 07:11 PM »

Not a Pike but I caught this Blue Perch last year I released it back to hopefully get bigger
I live back in the woods you see

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2022, 07:14 PM »
i  re caught him .......he's extinct now too  burpppp   ;D

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2022, 01:32 PM »

Not a Pike but I caught this Blue Perch last year I released it back to hopefully get bigger

Ive caught a couple blue perch on LG before. Definitely cool to see. mine were little though so down the hole they went. I didnt want to kill a blue one for fertilizer

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2022, 01:44 PM »
Ive caught a couple blue perch on LG before. Definitely cool to see. mine were little though so down the hole they went. I didnt want to kill a blue one for fertilizer
Yup this one was about 8 inches long. Thought about keeping it then was like no it's a spirit fish. Like you said it was cool 😎 to see.
I live back in the woods you see

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.