New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: How cold is TOO cold?  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Bella

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How cold is TOO cold?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2022, 08:54 PM »
Single digits with 10mph wind I'm staying home

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:59 AM »
more about the wind than the cold for me. Was out last weekend and it was -10 walking out/ during setup. Didnt feel too bad since i was moving and there wasnt wind. The cold might make me stay a little more stationary than id like to be but i think wind is the biggest limiting factor for me. Since digits temps and double digit sustained winds sounds a lot more like type 3 fun than type 2.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:31 PM »
I don't really mind the cold  I usually just jig in the hut any way.   Wind I do not like   We have little snow so nothing to bank up against the shelter makes it breezy inside as well

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:39 AM »
Not sure who said it - but agree that in my younger years I just went - regardless of temps. 

Heck - we didn't all have these stupid phones attached to us to tell us the weather anywhere in the world 24/7...we just went!

They say...with age come grace and wisdom...pretty sure that no one will call me graceful or wise - but I do know this.  I too, pick my battles wisely. 

Sitting this one out - I'll use this time to reline, re-rig, repack and recharge. 

With these temps we will (certainly?) have ice for the foreseeable future...maybe even get some spring like temps with thick ice in late March and ice some fat bellied pre-spawn perch.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:42 AM »
Not sure who said it - but agree that in my younger years I just went - regardless of temps. 

Heck - we didn't all have these stupid phones attached to us to tell us the weather anywhere in the world 24/7...we just went!

They say...with age come grace and wisdom...pretty sure that no one will call me graceful or wise - but I do know this.  I too, pick my battles wisely. 

Sitting this one out - I'll use this time to reline, re-rig, repack and recharge. 
WELL SAID
With these temps we will (certainly?) have ice for the foreseeable future...maybe even get some spring like temps with thick ice in late March and ice some fat bellied pre-spawn perch.

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:47 AM »
You got it Arkangel, was just thinking that myself this morning. Were going to have good ice for the long haul, providing we don't get a bunck of wet snow to slop things up.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:06 AM »
Perfect! 

Came across some old grainy pics from late 70s early 80s standing on Whitney Point Res with work boots, corduroy pants, flannel shirt and sleeveless vest , no hat (think Micheal J. Fox in Back to the Future)

Sun was (higher?) in the sky...looked like spring...even some greening of grass on the shores in background.

I'm guessing that pic was taken in late March...and there were also an abundance of slab crappie on the ice :icefish:...back when there used to be more predictable crappie fishing on the Dead Sea.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:36 AM »
There was a time when I would look at the worst conditions as a challenge! 

Today, being older and retired, even with all the gadgets of comfort... these is gotta be a better day!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:06 AM »

Was on LG 2.5 weeks ago doing 60 it was quite cold.  No buddy heater to save you there!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:49 AM »
you could  have slowed  down to  20 and  been warmer ......just  a though for  next time 

i  agree i ain't   walking  out  in 10 below   and have the wind  pick up  which they are  calling  for  wind  chill 25 below  today ..... hot   drinks  fly  tying bench  and   thawing out  gear day ........frost bite and hypothermia will spoil your day

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2022, 08:33 AM »
...okay...let's beat up this topic one more time... ;D ;D ;D

As I sit here planning my day (inside) my lovely wife is trying to either console me - or encourage me. 

Her..."...well...you could just go for a couple hours..."

Me..."...Hun...it'd be like taking the boat out to the beach on a 45 degree day in the rain.  Would we be in the boat - at the beach?             
 Yes and yes.  But would it be enjoyable?"

No one likes to be outside and fishing more than I do...but I have 3 fingers on my right hand that go "dead" when they get extremely cold.  This was the result of sticking my hand in my Oneida Lake ice fishing hole - when a Walleye came off right in the hole - on a day like today.

I was 16 at the time that was over 40 years ago.  And fingers still go dead when they're cold.

How cold is too cold?  This cold.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2022, 04:58 AM »
Yesterday may have been to cold my neighbor went to Whitney his qua was to cold to start he came home mine was inside garage all night in tender but I got to lake around 10 and mine was to cold to start it was supposed to be 3 at night but it crashed to -16

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2022, 04:59 AM »
Yesterday may have been to cold my neighbor went to Whitney his qua was to cold to start he came home mine was inside garage all night in tender but I got to lake around 10 and mine was to cold to start it was supposed to be 3 at night but it crashed to -16

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2022, 05:07 AM »
below 0 is not enjoyable for me    :cookoo:
but no wind makes a differance   ;D

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2022, 06:55 AM »
I was out last Saturday in -20. Didn't seem bad cuz it was so calm...

7 degrees and 30mph gusts forecasted are probably keeping me home tomorrow though. I absolutely hate wind.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Jan 28, 2022, 06:59 AM »
This was -20*

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2022, 06:59 AM »
I was out last Saturday in -20. Didn't seem bad cuz it was so calm...

7 degrees and 30mph gusts forecasted are probably keeping me home tomorrow though. I absolutely hate wind.

Same... wind is the trip killer. I was out Wednesday and it was -12° here but dead calm, so it really wasn't bad at all... aside from my beard icing up :roflmao:

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:29 PM »
-11 last Sat when we went out, but very little wind in our faces so the walk out to 1 mile was OK.  During the day the temp did get above zero but not to far, but the wind had picked up quit a bit, wind chill was again below zero. Luckily for us the wind was at your backs which made the walk in OK.  Wind is more extreme for hypothermia then cold temps.  Always be aware of the winds when on the ice.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2022, 09:53 AM »
This thread makes me laugh.  Its funny how some people actually call themselves ice fisherman yet complain when it gets a little cold.  Around here if you don’t go out when it’s -20 or -30 you don’t fish and your winter is wasted.  It doesn’t matter if you think your tuff or young or whatever, if you have the passion to fish get out and do it safely.  I know plenty of old timers, in their 80’s, that regularly go out in stuff that anyone south of the 60th parallel have no real concept of.  To cold is nothing more than a frame of mind.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:26 PM »
This thread makes me laugh.  Its funny how some people actually call themselves ice fisherman yet complain when it gets a little cold.  Around here if you don’t go out when it’s -20 or -30 you don’t fish and your winter is wasted.  It doesn’t matter if you think your tuff or young or whatever, if you have the passion to fish get out and do it safely.  I know plenty of old timers, in their 80’s, that regularly go out in stuff that anyone south of the 60th parallel have no real concept of.  To cold is nothing more than a frame of mind.

Akhardwater, that is great that you AK guys fish in - 30 weather. You might  be able to convince yourself that you don't mind it, but please don't make it seem like you are not affected by extreme cold. We are mammals whether we live in NY or AK, and need to maintain a body temp. of 98.6 F. If you are over 45 years old, the cold will affect you to the point where you need to be more selective about the days you can comfortably go ice fishing, wherever you happen to live.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:35 PM »

AKhardwater, I just checked your profile and you are 40 years old. I hope I am wrong, but in 10 years you will probably start declining fishing on the coldest days of the winter. I never thought I would do that when I was your age, but now that I am 56, my body just does not function the way it used to, and more specifically to this topic, I simply can not enjoy being out in - 20 F weather for more than 1 hour. I hope you are one of the rare freaks that remains unaffected by extreme cold as you age !
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2022, 06:39 PM »
AKhardwater, I just checked your profile and you are 40 years old. I hope I am wrong, but in 10 years you will probably start declining fishing on the coldest days of the winter. I never thought I would do that when I was your age, but now that I am 56, my body just does not function the way it used to, and more specifically to this topic, I simply can not enjoy being out in - 20 F weather for more than 1 hour. I hope you are one of the rare freaks that remains unaffected by extreme cold as you age !

I'm 48, and still as resistant to cold as I've ever been. Heck, I rarely ice fish with gloves, they end up staying in my pockets most of them time.

That being said, I don't enjoy fishing in -20. For one, any fish I plan to release have a serious chance at being damaged in that sort of cold, being that I don't use shelters. Add in constant ice buildup, and holes / flag lines freezing up, just isn't as much fun any more at that point.

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08:33 PM »
In Irondequoit, 40 and it started to sprinkle. Hope we don't get to much!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 02, 2022, 09:11 PM »
No such thing.  I love days like that.  Keeps the crowds down.

AMEN. Several years ago (4 or 5?) I went out in NEPA on 2 days that were both -8*. I have a flip over but love to be out in the elements so didn’t even flip it over. I’m 56 now, so was 50+ at the time. I don’t think it gets cold enough in PA to keep me from fishing.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 02, 2022, 09:34 PM »
Let me clarify, when it gets below -15 I stay in a shack because it’s to hard on the fish and reels start freezing up.  However if you are properly dressed for extreme temps you can be comfortable at really low temps.  On days when it’s to cold to fish I usually spend most of the day riding around looking for fur and exploring new country.  You also have to remember people that live in more northern latitudes acclimatize differently so for me I’m very comfortable sitting on my sled for hours in negative single digits whereas people down south are not used to those temps and it can be uncomfortable.   Cold tolerance is different for every individual and knowing and understanding your limits are very important for your comfort and enjoyment.  Another thing I’ve noticed is my -20 is way warmer than your -20 due to humidity and other atmospheric conditions so I would not blame anyone for not wanting to be out in those temps.  Like I said earlier I know many old timers who run solo traplines all season and those guys are your typical run of the mill Alaskan bad boys out there just doing what they love.  I will never use age as an excuse you are only as old as you let yourself think you are.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2022, 04:50 AM »
Not sure why your on the guys case. He said where he is people fish that regularly. Never said you have to join him or that everyone that won’t fish in those temps ain’t an ice fisherman.
How I read that is stop crying about a little bit cold. Fish when you want be a big boy and make your own choices.

Myself I’ve been out 2 decently below 0* days this year in upstate New York 1 day the truck said -18* and the other was -12* before any wind chill. I was fine and when I got the shanty flipped closed I didn’t need gloves no heater.
So it’s all relative. Enjoy the sport if that’s only fishing 2x a season with good ice and temps over 40* or if your like me and get out as much as the body and work and all other life duties allow.

Tight lines
Perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2022, 05:24 AM »
-35* windchill on Saturday…

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 03, 2022, 05:24 AM »
Not sure why your on the guys case. He said where he is people fish that regularly. Never said you have to join him or that everyone that won’t fish in those temps ain’t an ice fisherman.
How I read that is stop crying about a little bit cold. Fish when you want be a big boy and make your own choices.

Myself I’ve been out 2 decently below 0* days this year in upstate New York 1 day the truck said -18* and the other was -12* before any wind chill. I was fine and when I got the shanty flipped closed I didn’t need gloves no heater.
So it’s all relative. Enjoy the sport if that’s only fishing 2x a season with good ice and temps over 40* or if your like me and get out as much as the body and work and all other life duties allow.

Tight lines
Perchin
Actually, that's pretty much exactly what he said... 🤔

This thread makes me laugh.  Its funny how some people actually call themselves ice fisherman yet complain when it gets a little cold.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 04, 2022, 11:18 AM »
I’ve fished in -100 degrees in Antarctica wearing nothing but a thong and flip flops.  Caught a penguin on a tip up and skinned him alive so I could cover my backside with his pelt.   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.