New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chaumont bay  (Read 13703 times)

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chaumont bay
« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:30 PM »
True unless the fish inhales the lure and the teeth are in direct contact with the line.  Nothing worse than seeing eyes glowing at the bottom of the hole and the rod tip snaps up without a lure on the end.  That last 10” of the fight is when line strength really counts.
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline setterman01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:35 PM »
I fished out of Long Point again  this evening in a slightly different area. Had a couple on me, but no love.

I'm not going to blame that on the bait shop employees for not telling me exactly where to go though... I don't know exactly what you expect when you ask for advise, but I've never had anyone give me an exact spot. If they did that for everyone there would be 300 guys on the same shoal. The Hardware Store has excellent bait, all the jigs and lures you need to fish the bay, and a friendly staff. What more could you ask for... Greg can't have a 15 minute in depth conversation with everyone that walks in that shop wanting to catch a 12 pound walleye or 100 perch. I guess some people just expect to be spoon fed. :'(

I run 8# seagaur flouro and like it. The walleyes have been picky for me lately, so my suggestion is go as light as you feel comfortable. My other suggestion is to keep your expectations realistic. You're not going to catch a trophy every trip, or every year for that matter - You will, however, have the chance every time you fish Chamount.
I never could read no road map,
I don't know what the weather might do.
But hear that witch wind whining,
and see that dog star shinin',
I got a feeling there's no time to lose,
No time to lose!

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:12 PM »
Well said setterman

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:33 PM »
Thanks Setterman, that’s what I was looking for.  I want to at least have a shot at hooking a walleye but didn’t want to overdo or underdo the presentation.  I figure if I’m wasting time not catching many perch I may as well waste that time trying for a walleye.

Offline Doorman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:34 PM »
Everyone always says the hardware store is great and will help you out and give you information, and Ive never gotten anything beyond a cold "here is your bait, pay up front" kind of attitude. Not friendly, not helpful.

They post alot of information on FB, but in person Ive never seen anything remarkable in regards to customer service.
Greg is on point with his conditions and bait!  If you want someone to take you to the fish then hire a guide!  Anyone who prints up topographical maps of the lake and circles bad ice spots and directs you to possible honey holes deserves some respect.  I know people who go every year and they got skunked on a three day trip.  It is called fishing.   

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:20 AM »
Friendly and courteous is how I expain my experiance at the hardware store.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #36 on: Feb 25, 2021, 06:24 AM »
Not everyone has the same experience every transaction, so even though you get top notch service every time you go in, not everyone else does.  I don’t need anyone to guide me to fish, I get “fishing”.  It is a great resource and store, but unless you get “Greg” every time, it is not that above and beyond.   I’ll still buy bait there, and still look at the Facebook posts. 

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:26 AM »
Greg is on point with his conditions and bait!  If you want someone to take you to the fish then hire a guide!  Anyone who prints up topographical maps of the lake and circles bad ice spots and directs you to possible honey holes deserves some respect.  I know people who go every year and they got skunked on a three day trip.  It is called fishing.

I never said i wanted locations from the hardware store. I said in all the times I've been there, "friendly" and "helpful" don't come close to describing their customer service.  Ive been there when theres 10 guys waiting for bait, and I've been there when I'm the only person in the store.

he sells bait and tackle, and puts a map on the counter showing hazardous spots. I'm not knocking him for what he does, he sells stuff, we  buy it. There's nothing wrong with that.  I'm saying i have never seen the friendly helpful attitude that people on the internet claim they receive there. Ive talked to several people who have had the same experience.

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:26 AM »
Well this thread turned into an episode of the Gilmore Girls real quick 🤣

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:29 AM »
X2🤐

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:30 AM »
I was thinking the fishing must be pretty bad right now

Offline Schwartzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:42 AM »
Bash festival. Where’s the love and acceptance.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Probably a good time to ask....so how’s the fishing been the past couple days?

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:22 AM »
Thanks Setterman, that’s what I was looking for.  I want to at least have a shot at hooking a walleye but didn’t want to overdo or underdo the presentation.  I figure if I’m wasting time not catching many perch I may as well waste that time trying for a walleye.

usually if you can find the perch the walleye are not far behind ..... amazing you guys can sit here and bash chaumont hardware like this, we are fortunate to have him there with bait and reports ....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Radneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:30 AM »
Fished Monday. Walked out from long point.  Bite was steady.  Most were small. I was switching between red and white spikes.  Seemed to keep them interested. Ice was 12 inches

Offline Familyfishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " it's all good"
« Reply #45 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:31 AM »
Was wondering how the ice is at chaumont bay!!! Couple of buddy's and I want to head there tomorrow!!! Is going off the ramp and to the right b best spot to go where all the shantys are setup!!! Never fished there wanna new place to fish!!!!! Thanks and fish-on!!!!!

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:41 AM »
You can always tell when the fishing is slow haha

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 25, 2021, 11:50 AM »
Was wondering how the ice is at chaumont bay!!! Couple of buddy's and I want to head there tomorrow!!! Is going off the ramp and to the right b best spot to go where all the shantys are setup!!! Never fished there wanna new place to fish!!!!! Thanks and fish-on!!!!!

Yes, but don't turn right right away off the ramp. You want to go out in to the channel first, then turn right.  Also, much of that shoreline along 3 mile point is the first to start softening during warm temps.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:15 PM »
If I remember correctly from last year the guy at Chaumont Hardware told me there was a shallow rocky point close to shore off to the right where the ice wasn’t good. Had to walk around it 😉

Offline Familyfishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " it's all good"
« Reply #49 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:16 PM »
Thanks tj cubin !!! Are they still running sleds and wheelers rite there!!!!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #50 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:46 PM »
I was actually just out there. Very slow. Gonna get some food and head back out in a bit.  Hit slush in the snow drifts other then that it’s melted down and started crusting over not a bad drag I wouldn’t think just the walk itself be any easier tho.

And we can tell who Greg’s buddies are, cuz y’all took offense when everyone was saying they just didn’t care for the place. I didn’t see anyone really talk down about the place.
So just take it easy and let’s all get along.
Tight lines
Perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 25, 2021, 05:07 PM »
I have only been there once and wouldn’t know Greg if he walked by me.

The person I dealt with gave me solid info on what bait to use, how to rig it, and where the safe ice was. This was a few years ago but the info was spot on.

I can’t even count how many times people have said, call Chaumont Hardware for info...

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 26, 2021, 01:24 PM »

Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #53 on: Feb 26, 2021, 02:15 PM »
Wow them looks good eating...don't see to many pictures of the three pack from chaumont..just the monsters. Well done perching.
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 26, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Wow them looks good eating...don't see to many pictures of the three pack from chaumont..just the monsters. Well done perching.
I can’t take all the credit. Bait shop back home with the good bait a buddy gave me a local tip for a good depth. Hooked up with the first within 15min.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 26, 2021, 05:22 PM »
You may have been pointed in the right direction but you were the one that got it done. Congrats! I hope I find just one tomorrow

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #56 on: Feb 26, 2021, 06:55 PM »
Nice catch Been Perching!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 26, 2021, 08:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I would rather the other guys get one before I get another.
Good luck
Tight lines
Perchin
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 26, 2021, 08:16 PM »
How thick is the ice and how was the walking?

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 26, 2021, 09:44 PM »
How thick is the ice and how was the walking?

I fished it today, 12+ inches everywhere. Some spots it’s glare ice, some spots it’s six inches of snow, some spots it’s 4 inches of slush. Kind of all over, but it’s solid ice for sure. (At least out to Herrick is)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.