New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092692 times)

Offline Rosstafari

• IceShanty Rookie
supposed to head up to saratoga next week for a day trip... fingers crossed it stays cold and icy..

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
What’s the outlook for Sullivan County lakes locking up soon?
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
ponds by the house here in orange are skimmed/froze over won't be long now forecast looks decent

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
A bit of ice back on White Lake. Stopped at launch on Kaneunga side and walked out a few feet and stomped up and down. Don't know how thick so not really a condition report  . Still a bit of open water. I was working over that way so why not stop. Thinking a couple of the local ponds are ready so going to try to poke around this weekend.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
How’s Superior? I’m hoping I can go out next weekend. 

Offline MarkBJ3

• IceShanty Rookie
Will take a drive up tomorrow around that area tomorrow. Would like to get on Superior next weekend also. If current forecast is accurate, should be tight by then. Post what I see tomorrow.

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Mon & Tues should help a lot!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
The way things are today and the  forecast I think a lot of places will have a few inches of ice by Saturday. if no one goes by Thursday, I can swing by Lake Superior to check then. I haven't seen anything in reports and conditions.

Offline Canoejon

• IceShanty Rookie
Is anyone (in the federation) able to give a report on Upton Lake in the next few days?

Offline MarkBJ3

• IceShanty Rookie
Swung by Superior today, group of guys out on ice over the weekend at some point. Could see refrozen tracks on ice. Kiamesha was tight. White Lake looked lousy. Lots of open areas and areas that looked just froze over. I’m the narrows looked tight.

Offline MarkBJ3

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline MarkBJ3

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks for the pics. Pretty encouraging to see that much ice on White lake with the forecast as such. Makes me wonder about SWB.

Offline MarkBJ3

• IceShanty Rookie
Wanted to swing by SWB, not enough time. Wind had White Lake open from the firehouse off to the East.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
In my neck of the woods lower Sullivan county ..I have been told anywhere from 4 inches to 5.5 inches on local ponds and lakes . Spuding on unfamilar and familar waterways is a must . This weeks is forcast to make some ice ..larger bodies of water may have some trouble as the winds are picking up as I type . I will make a request ...we have a Reports and Conditions Board ..please use it ..it will cut down on the chatter and clutter or PM the inquesitive member . We had alot of water recoveries over the summer fire departments and emergency responders were quite busy  ...not good . Some looky loo to the site may see your ice report on this thread and hit that body of water with all they got..not just for ice fishing but other ice activities ..skating X-cross skiing ..without a care in the world ..no spud ..no cleats..no picks ...and no common sense Be smart and stay safe .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
supposed to head up to saratoga next week for a day trip... fingers crossed it stays cold and icy..
Passed Saratoga few times this weekend it was 80% open still wind has to die

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
I did the Mahogany Ridge derby at Highland Lake last year.  Had a blast!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
In my neck of the woods lower Sullivan county ..I have been told anywhere from 4 inches to 5.5 inches on local ponds and lakes . Spuding on unfamilar and familar waterways is a must . This weeks is forcast to make some ice ..larger bodies of water may have some trouble as the winds are picking up as I type . I will make a request ...we have a Reports and Conditions Board ..please use it ..it will cut down on the chatter and clutter or PM the inquesitive member . We had alot of water recoveries over the summer fire departments and emergency responders were quite busy  ...not good . Some looky loo to the site may see your ice report on this thread and hit that body of water with all they got..not just for ice fishing but other ice activities ..skating X-cross skiing ..without a care in the world ..no spud ..no cleats..no picks ...and no common sense Be smart and stay safe .
[/quot.             

I always thought we posted in reports and conditions  when we have measured and actually been on the ice. I mean are you giving a report when you say you were told there is 4 to 5.5 inches  on your area lakes? We are all just communicating which is how I thought this worked. No disrespect meant. I went to check ice on a lake once and a x-country skier said the ice was safe and he had been out every day that week....... Well there was only two inches of ice with water laying on top and off he went across the lake! needless to say that is not safe ice for fisherman so you have to be careful of all info. Yesterday in the Callicoon area it was a total ice maker. The wind never topped 6mph. I have always been under the assumption that when you post in reports and conditions you were talking the dead truth with a tape measure and a spud. Once again no disrespect meant just trying to clarify what belongs where. I feel for the local rescuers. This real estate boom has the area overloaded with greenhorns and not enough volunteers to save them from drowning ,trying to cut trees they shouldn't ,or simply sticking their hand in the mower. Be well and hope you get out soon.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Is the parking and such a hassle? Always wanted to try that one.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is the parking and such a hassle? Always wanted to try that one.

I got there at the crack of dawn and I parked in the parking lot.  The later you arrive, the further away you park.

Entry fee included a dozen minnows and food, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I got special mention at the end of day measure-in: The only Filipino tropical boy that fished the tournament. I got a big standing ovation.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
That's a great story 4x4. :tipup:

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
I got there at the crack of dawn and I parked in the parking lot.  The later you arrive, the further away you park.

Entry fee included a dozen minnows and food, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I got special mention at the end of day measure-in: The only Filipino tropical boy that fished the tournament. I got a big standing ovation.
ANy date for the torny this yea?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Decent first time out for the season!

Offline fisher277d

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Haunted by waters
Any updates on east branch? Hoping to take Friday off and get out there, thanks.
Dirty Drifters

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
Any updates on east branch? Hoping to take Friday off and get out there, thanks.

Dam side near railroad tracks had huge area wind blew open today and rest of main lake (RT 22 around island ) froze over a few days ago.   Back shallow cove side along causeway has had good ice the last week or so, plenty of guys fishing. 

Offline laker5911

• IceShanty Rookie
Laurel Meadows Pond and Little Dam Lake in Sterling Forest State Park are open.  Still nothing in Harriman State Park.

Offline Dboisclair95

• IceShanty Rookie
Passed Saratoga few times this weekend it was 80% open still wind has to die

How is Saratoga now?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.