New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092507 times)

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Were they perch or hybrid bass i have seen them right down the road in reo reservoir

Pretty positive they were white perch. Have a pic on my phone and compared it to pic on DEC page. All of them were about nine or 10 inches.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Pretty positive they were white perch. Have a pic on my phone and compared it to pic on DEC page. All of them were about nine or 10 inches.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/61533.html

Fish Species:
Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Walleye, Brown Trout, Rock Bass, Yellow Perch, Common Carp, Brown Bullhead and White Perch.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Probably were but possibility is there but this was a long time ago when i saw them being caught they were around 5 pounds

Offline iceman67

• IceShanty Rookie
Weird fished swinging bridge my whole life and never saw a white perch come out of there.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Many places i fished my whole life never had them but now do even showing up in the reservoirs

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Weird fished swinging bridge my whole life and never saw a white perch come out of there.

They have always been in there. I caught a couple when I last fished it like 5 yrs ago

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
I love when people say the I’ve been fishing my whole life line.... like you’ve seen every single thing about fishing and every single aspect of fishing known to man and your the swinging bridge god? Apparently you need to get out a little bit more cuz they are in fact in there ....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have never caught a white perch anywhere but I do know they are in both SB and the RIO. What I find interesting and I am not sure I have this correct, White Perch are not a member of the Perch species family. They are listed under the Sun fish/ Bass family. I don't know if they are a good eating fish or not so maybe some here can report on that. I also don't know much more about this fish or have any idea how large they grow in these waters. It appears these fish are in fact native to NY waters, Hudson and Delaware rivers and up rivers where they can get past barriers and have been planted in numerous bodies for some reason. I have not found much info on the DEC site and don't know if these are just a garbage fish or not. What I do know is the Bald Eagles catch and eat them along the Mongaup because I have watched and inspected the remains.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Personally i find them mushy and poor quality for eating other people I know prefer them over yellow perch I have caught them at 2 pounds which I believe is top end for them I also have a picture of a natural hybrid in the Hudson River

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I’ve had them and I don’t think they have a disagreeable texture or taste.  They offer nice big fillets and are quite tasty

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Goose1228

• IceShanty Rookie
I just recently started keeping white perch. The key is to bleed them out on the ice and and when you fillet them I remove the red meat. It’s pretty easy to do and they taste pretty good this way. The red meat gives them the bad taste. Remove it and it’s pretty good.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just recently started keeping white perch. The key is to bleed them out on the ice and and when you fillet them I remove the red meat. It’s pretty easy to do and they taste pretty good this way. The red meat gives them the bad taste. Remove it and it’s pretty good.

They told me that the first time I went fishing for Blue Fish, cut out the dark center line. I love catching big Blue fish but would rather eat a skunk. ;D

Offline Crappyice

• IceShanty Rookie
Was anyone out there today after that “hot weather day” yesterday? Curious if Muscoot has good ice off route 100? Any action over that way?

Offline Goose1228

• IceShanty Rookie
They told me that the first time I went fishing for Blue Fish, cut out the dark center line. I love catching big Blue fish but would rather eat a skunk. ;D

I hear that! The blues always go back. With the white perch I only keep the meat above the lateral line. Seems to make a difference.  I still prefer the yellows and the crappies though.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
YUK! Just what we don't need is another 5-7" of snow today through tomorrow. If anyone has been out on the usual Sullivan lakes, SB, Superior, Toronto or White Lake a quick report sure would be good to hear. I wonder if the rain/sleet did any good or just more damage making walking or towing better or worse????

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I went to Walton Lake in Orange Wednesday, and it was 9 1/2" of smooth ice. Now we have 4 to 6" of new snow on it. 😠
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline greengiant64

• IceShanty Rookie
Got skunked at Upton Lake today.  Ice was in good shape.  8-10" ice with just yesterday and todays few inches on top.   Kids have fun either way, but that's the second time they didn't see a fish this week.  Hope to head to Putnam or White pond Sunday and remind them what it feels like to pull something...anything, through the ice. 

FYI, if it wasn't mentioned on the site yet, there's a new winter bait source in Poughkeepsie/Lagrange.   
Keepin It Reel Bait & Tackle
845 214 0021
Open Saturday 7-3
Sunday 7-12
58 Noxon rd Poughkeepsie ny

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Got skunked at Upton Lake today.  Ice was in good shape.  8-10" ice with just yesterday and todays few inches on top.   Kids have fun either way, but that's the second time they didn't see a fish this week.  Hope to head to Putnam or White pond Sunday and remind them what it feels like to pull something...anything, through the ice. 

FYI, if it wasn't mentioned on the site yet, there's a new winter bait source in Poughkeepsie/Lagrange.   
Keepin It Reel Bait & Tackle
845 214 0021
Open Saturday 7-3
Sunday 7-12
58 Noxon rd Poughkeepsie ny

They are open with minnows?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Been catching small white perch out of SB for awhile now. They seem to be getting a tad bigger over the years.  Does anyone know if  Harriman is a go? Thanks tight lines

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pooley any luck on walton?

Offline greengiant64

• IceShanty Rookie
They are open with minnows?
THey have a lot of gear and this was on their facebook page.   Only open on weekends.  Address is tricky, but its the lower level on the right of the building when you go down the driveway.   Search for 'keepin it reel sportfishing' if you have facebook. 
THey just put up pics for a raffle they are starting today.   A jet sled filled with gear, $10 a ticket, 45 tickets total. 

Mousies
Spikes
Shiners
XXL pike shiner
Fat heads
In stock!!

Offline Goose1228

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi everyone. I caught a nice largemouth today that was the biggest one I have ever caught through the ice. It was 5lbs 9oz. I’m considering getting a replica made but wanted to see if others would consider it mount worthy. I know a lot of this is up to the person but don’t want to get a replica made if most would consider it not that big. For me, it was a personal best. Just want to see what your thoughts are.
Thanks,
Goose

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hi everyone. I caught a nice largemouth today that was the biggest one I have ever caught through the ice. It was 5lbs 9oz. I’m considering getting a replica made but wanted to see if others would consider it mount worthy. I know a lot of this is up to the person but don’t want to get a replica made if most would consider it not that big. For me, it was a personal best. Just want to see what your thoughts are.
Thanks,
Goose

Great fish goose get a replica

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I hear that! The blues always go back. With the white perch I only keep the meat above the lateral line. Seems to make a difference.  I still prefer the yellows and the crappies though.
BLUEFISH....What they refer to as a "cocktail blue" is excellent (average of 2-5 pounds) when cooked fresh.) They don't freeze. And believe it or not smoked bluefish is delicious! I have seen a stray white perch where people normally don't catch them.... That is the wonder of nature. They are populated  in SWB!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks,
Goose

Congrats!

Offline Goose1228

• IceShanty Rookie

Thanks. I didn’t have a tape measure on the ice so I took a picture of it next to an ice skimmer I have and measured it later. I was surprised that is was about 20 1/2 inches. Thought it might have been longer but it was definitely a fat one.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
     BLUEFISH. Yup, small ones. I’d quickly, after the flurry, fillet or cut into steaks. Wrap in paper towels to absorb any leftover blood/oils and put in ziplock bags and bury in the cooler ice. I think it’s important to get the flesh away from the blood, guts and sun as soon as possible and get chilled. Smoke or grill only, no pans or oven. No gas grills, but that’s just me.
      Also, a tip for any meat. Pat dry with paper towel and place on small wire cooling Rack over dinner plate in fridge uncovered. Flip a couple times. Few hours or days. The outer extra dryness will easily give you a great char/crust.

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wow just saw 8.1lb walleye leading king of the ice tournament in white lake.  Solid fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.