New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091884 times)

Offline flounderman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • member since Dec 2005
My local bait supplier has no bait for the last week and a half. Evidently a supplier was shut down by DEC causing all these problems affecting more than a few shops.

Anyone got the number to the Folks running Harriman at Tiorati? Always slow to green flag these lakes. I've been on some local lakes the last three weeks.

Now how do we fish Nowahunta? I don't recall any parking

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The best I can learn now is the bait here come from Butternut Creek Bait out of Pa. and they have no problems with a delivery planned for Thursday.

I don't know where other shops buy their bait from but in this part of NY we are just over the PA & NJ borders. It might just be an isolated incident of a supplier not getting certified properly and being shut down by the state.

I doubt a place like Gander depends very heavily on bait sales and probably won't go out of their way to find another supplier in a pinch. Local mom and pop shops that depend on bait will jump through hoops to keep us fishing and their business alive.

Try Tom's bait shop in Fair Oaks, 733-4642.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline flounderman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • member since Dec 2005
Thanks. Great little shop. Been using him for years. Always fresh and healthy. I'm all for keeping the little guy chuggin along. Nothing like getting out of my car walking 10 steps get my bait and off I go.

Gander is a fiasco. I dislike that unorganized place. Here's how it rolls, funny but true. Find a parking space, spend some time looking for a worker to help you count out your bait order. Wait some more when he's counting out exactly 48 fish . Wait in line. Go to pay and they can't find the barcode to ring the order, cashier uses intercom to page worker. Worker finally comes with info. Leave 20 minutes later. 

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
The guy in Callicoon told me that he gets his bait from a distributor in PA who gets their bait from a farm in Arkansas. The PA distributor allegedly supplies most of the local shops. Don't know if that's 100 percent accurate but that is what I was told. Maybe the Arkansas operation didn't pass inspection?

There used to be a guy down in Barryville who trapped bait locally and sold it from a shed next to his house. He had the best minnows by far but I heard he couldn't get certified.

I e-mailed the DEC about having my pond certified but they did not respond. Does anybody know what it takes to get NYS bait certification? Does it cost a fortune?

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
What a pain getting minnies is getting. I have been jigging more and more.  The only time I buy shiners is for tourneys now.
Can you say Chubby Darter?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
My local bait supplier has no bait for the last week and a half. Evidently a supplier was shut down by DEC causing all these problems affecting more than a few shops.

Anyone got the number to the Folks running Harriman at Tiorati? Always slow to green flag these lakes. I've been on some local lakes the last three weeks.

Now how do we fish Nowahunta? I don't recall any parking

You have to park at Silvermine and then walk to Nowahunta.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
What a pain getting minnies is getting. I have been jigging more and more.  The only time I buy shiners is for tourneys now.
Can you say Chubby Darter?

I can say Lindy Darter....that good enough?  ;)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Toph, have you been holding out on me?  Have you got the Lindy?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Toph, have you been holding out on me?  Have you got the Lindy?

got a big handful of those pesky Lindy's.....and boy do they work awesome !!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
got a big handful of those pesky Lindy's.....and boy do they work awesome !!
i just bought a chubby darter, guess i'll have to find some lindy darters now.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Which color chubby did you get?  I only have 2 Salmos dace and red glow, but I have 7 of the colors in the Lindy's...plus the Lindy's are cheaper at only 6 per lure

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
looks like a perch.  1 1/2"
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Mrs Jimmy Claude will be less confused when I say "I have a Lindy" ;D

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
You have to park at Silvermine and then walk to Nowahunta.
lmao, hey i been thinking after talking to tioroti this am.. they either are short on patrol staff (doubtful) or maybe they feel the fish in that park are like their "pets"? .. no doubt those lakes are more than safe enough, i've been icefishing harriman for 30 years+ .. something is just not right with that park. Davis sports must be pissed!  ;D ???
lonelywolf lol

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mrs Jimmy Claude will be less confused when I say "I have a Lindy" ;D

LMAO as much as I fish, TFB knows what I talk about

Pooley, I think that the perch colored Salmo is one of the better producers, although this year they came out with the new holographic paint schemes on their baits...saw some at the Syracuse Ice Show...pretty impressive for about 8-9 bucks apiece

Holehawg, how's the Big D so far this year, giving up any fish?

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
got on the d this afternoon 3 flags on the tip ups..1st flag was a little pick maybe 15 inches...2nd flag i was watching the eagles flying around the open water and by the time i got there it was almost spooled...dragged it in thinking i had a good hookset and lost it with about 2ft of line to go....was resetting it  when the trap 15 ft away went  off... the little spinner was justa turning when i set the hook...this fish had some heft to it...but right at the hole he snappped off the # 6 bait holder...and yes topher it was a wally....i was miffed cause it was a good one ...but still a good couple hrs. out anyway...there was 2 guys on the narrowsburg eddy this morning...toms bait and bullets says river wallys are biting...another heads up....tom will be open for bait in narrowsburg till monday at noon then the shop is closed till weds due to he has to go to a gun / fishing show....good luck out there gang....

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
lmao, hey i been thinking after talking to tioroti this am.. they either are short on patrol staff (doubtful) or maybe they feel the fish in that park are like their "pets"? .. no doubt those lakes are more than safe enough, i've been icefishing harriman for 30 years+ .. something is just not right with that park. Davis sports must be **censored**ed!  ;D ???

I think Harriman is managed to be a February fishery..It really burns my butt when we can finally get on and they close the lakes february 28th regardless of ice conditions..
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Topher and anyone else interested....

The Mahogany Ridge Fishing and Hunting Clubs 17th annual ice fishing tournament at Sand Beach,Highland lake, NY, will be held on February 13th 2010. Fishing starts at 7AM. A dozen bait, food and refreshments are included. $20 per person kids under 15 fish for $10.

This is a great event that is in direct conflict with another great event held on Morningside lake in Hurleyville,NY the same day. Both of these contests center the attention around getting the kids involved in icefishing! I wish they could hold these 2 contests on different days.

The Hurleyville Fire Dept. and Town of Fallsburgh Youth Commission will hold its 22nd annual Ice Fishing contest on Morningside Lake Hurleyville, NY on February 13th 2010. Fishing 7am to 3pm   $5 for Adults,  ages 14 and under free. Trophies and Prizes. Special Firemens contest.Eveyone is invited back to the Firehouse after this event for a feast like you read about!  It's worth it for the fish cakes alone!

I am torn between the two.......Which one are you going to and why?? I'm leaning towards the Morningside event because of the possibility of landing a 5+ pound Walleye or decent Pickerel. For the jigger the Perch, Sunfish, and Crappie action can be very good at times.
I will see you there.....

Kevin

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Topher and anyone else interested....

The Mahogany Ridge Fishing and Hunting Clubs 17th annual ice fishing tournament at Sand Beach,Highland lake, NY, will be held on February 13th 2010. Fishing starts at 7AM. A dozen bait, food and refreshments are included. $20 per person kids under 15 fish for $10.

This is a great event that is in direct conflict with another great event held on Morningside lake in Hurleyville,NY the same day. Both of these contests center the attention around getting the kids involved in icefishing! I wish they could hold these 2 contests on different days.

The Hurleyville Fire Dept. and Town of Fallsburgh Youth Commission will hold its 22nd annual Ice Fishing contest on Morningside Lake Hurleyville, NY on February 13th 2010. Fishing 7am to 3pm   $5 for Adults,  ages 14 and under free. Trophies and Prizes. Special Firemens contest.Eveyone is invited back to the Firehouse after this event for a feast like you read about!  It's worth it for the fish cakes alone!

I am torn between the two.......Which one are you going to and why?? I'm leaning towards the Morningside event because of the possibility of landing a 5+ pound Walleye or decent Pickerel. For the jigger the Perch, Sunfish, and Crappie action can be very good at times.
I will see you there.....

Kevin

Highland Lake tourney for sure....went last year with HoleHawg and we had a blast...trouble walking the 2 days after due to slick ice and no cleats and 6 dozen bait GONE   plus the guys that put it on are top notch/first class people...plus I think last year there were at least 5 of us Shanty members there that I know of...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yepper...with a little luck and the blessings from tophers mrs. we'll be there again with more bait fish this time....lol... hopefully with pooley /yo/hockey and the boys..... ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yepper...with a little luck and the blessings from tophers mrs. we'll be there again with more bait fish this time....lol... hopefully with pooley /yo/hockey and the boys..... ;D

I know it would be great to have the guys come up...gotta canvas that whole area with tip ups...there are plenty of big fish in that lake...the winning fish that was caught last year in the Pick category is just a little thing  ;)

Long Pond this weekend on Sunday....got some bait, just gotta wait

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
the day before the daytona 500. yeah, i'll talk to the gang. we do a fish fry for the race. ;)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
One is 80 miles and the other is over 100 as the crow flies. Being friends with you guys is puttin miles on my truck! :P

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
One is 80 miles and the other is over 100 as the crow flies. Being friends with you guys is puttin miles on my truck! :P
but your overalls brighten our day jimmy! :thumbsup: :roflmao: :icefish:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
And I don't need a lantern at night ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
but your overalls brighten our day jimmy! :thumbsup: :roflmao: :icefish:

Exactly ! hard to get lost in those bibs

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good morning gang, Reelemin if you have young children go to Morningside they gave every child who caught a fish a prize years ago. I'm assuming they still do and if your child's fish is among the top three in the different prize categories they also receive a trophy.
  Pooley do have a date yet for the second South East New York gathering the sooner I but in for the day off from work the better my chances of actually getting the time off.
 Steve

Offline maxt

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello everybody! Haven't been here in a while. Getting ready for my first outing this season. Going to hit Highland and/or Swingingbridge on Sat. Does anyone know if bait shop in Liberty is still open? I tried to call there but the # is disconnected :(. Are there any other places in the area that open early?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac

its a definite, I'll be there...with plenty of bait...in the meantime, I gotta get the new tip up curse lifted from these Heritage Lakers...

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone been to Morningside Lk.  Was thinking of heading up there on Saturday.  Never been there before and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.   Thanx in advance for any help
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.