New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091782 times)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i take it the defense of the pool league crown is under way..... ;) ;D ;D ;D

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
hay every boudy i just read you stuf   i would like to know how thick is the ice on swingbrage leke? i like to fish it at night for walley and crippie  this is moon-dog  i may not know how to spell to well but i can fish pirty good

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hay every boudy i just read you stuf   i would like to know how thick is the ice on swingbrage leke? i like to fish it at night for walley and crippie  this is moon-dog  i may not know how to spell to well but i can fish pirty good
no idea how much ice on swinging bridge.....i think theres a swinging bridge post on the new york conditions  above this .....i never fish there...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Topher and Hawg... whens our yearly excursion? hope you can keep my driving time down and my fishing time up :tipup:
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline geogymn

• IceShanty Rookie
Newbie, how to get to the NY conditions, thanks

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
go to the NY board or do a search on a body of water. or just start asking questions.   
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Topher and Hawg... whens our yearly excursion? hope you can keep my driving time down and my fishing time up :tipup:

Nice to hear from you again Jimmy ! Hope all is well !

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey everybody...jimmy c's back........ :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:....glad to have ya back on jimmy..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
congrats on 1500 topher..ya right on my ......... ;) ;D

Offline yesjacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • yea
Hey guys simple question? is hardwater fishing allowed on monguap falls and the rio reservoirs?  :)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Simple answer NO! Those are both closed to any activity while the eagles are here.

I watched 12 of them down by the dam last week.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline yesjacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • yea
hm! no kidding...im not a fan of our national bird...i hear they are lazy! o well thanx

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
good to see you back bro! i'll be posting something soon! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
Moon, I saw someone out there on Swinging Bridge across from the access on Saturday in a green shanty. Don't know how they did but they went across from the launch?..

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Both the Mongaup falls and the Rio are subject to flow and level changes that could cause dangerous ice conditions. I am pretty sure both have been off limits to ice fishing for a long time.

The Eagles tend to concentrate where they find open water and little human activity and these two lakes are popular breeding grounds for them for that exact reason. I am not in agreement about them being "Lazy". Seems to me they have a pretty tough time making a living in the conditions they live in. Many people are very thrilled when they see our national bird flying over head and I can't think of a good reason to not appreciate their presence. They are, after all, Fisherman and trying to catch dinner just like us.

Gary

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Both the Mongaup falls and the Rio are subject to flow and level changes that could cause dangerous ice conditions. I am pretty sure both have been off limits to ice fishing for a long time.

The Eagles tend to concentrate where they find open water and little human activity and these two lakes are popular breeding grounds for them for that exact reason. I am not in agreement about them being "Lazy". Seems to me they have a pretty tough time making a living in the conditions they live in. Many people are very thrilled when they see our national bird flying over head and I can't think of a good reason to not appreciate their presence. They are, after all, Fisherman and trying to catch dinner just like us.

Gary

Well said Gary, not to mention they are a national symbol.
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
WAS out on chodokee lake guy there told me his friend has been fishing swinging bridge for 3 or 4 days now

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
The Tip down that Topher gave me last year at our outing has been used on a regular basis. It works really well, but I don't catch a lot of fish with it. I have caught some fish on it but usually do better by jigging the hole when it goes off.
  It gets frustrating if I set it more than 10 yards away, cause the bite is off when I get to it. :(

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular

Gary
Love seeing the eagles, just statrted seeing them by the Bear Mountain bridge, they deserve to fish wherever the hell they want just like we should!!!!!!!!!

Offline yesjacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • yea
Hey gamalot...good info. i didnt no that the eagles avoid humans. I always see a few flying around and observe them snatching up a meal or two from fish on the ice. Im still upset they didnt choose the turkey...red, white, and blue! ::)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
I wonder if they taste the same.  ;)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll trade all the Turkeys in my back yard for Eagles any day and gladly share a few fish with them.

Gary

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Didn't even notice the 1500 Holehawg...jimmy, what size hooks are you using on the tipdown? maybe that will make the difference...also, I know how you spoke so well of the Chubby Darters last year, what do you think about the new Lindy Darters?

Guys, I'm hoping to be able to get out this weekend with y'all down to Huntington...but if I don't, catch a few fish for me ! My bedrooms are almost done, just 2nd coat spackle and prime and paint...then the moving into it/them....I got my fingers crossed.....

Pooley, they have a few suckers left at the bait shop...If I know I can make it down, you want me to get some for you guys? let me know..

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
went out on the delaware river for a few hours this morning....around 5 inches of ice on the cove and thining as ya head toward the open water.....no flags ..nutting jigging...alittle breezy yet.... ::)....

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
...jimmy, what size hooks are you using on the tipdown? maybe that will make the difference...also, I know how you spoke so well of the Chubby Darters last year, what do you think about the new Lindy Darters?

Topher, I have been using small jiggs... Probaly should be using circle hooks ???

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
13-3 joe. were starting out strong!

topher, we will probably stay close to home, as things are locked up here, and we should be able to fish harriman state park.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
...jimmy, what size hooks are you using on the tipdown? maybe that will make the difference...also, I know how you spoke so well of the Chubby Darters last year, what do you think about the new Lindy Darters?

Topher, I have been using small jiggs... Probaly should be using circle hooks ???

I have #8 circles on mine this year, last year I had single #12 baitholders on them...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
since the boys are staying on their home turf  this weekend...maybe i'll try the river again...them wallys gotta eat sometime.... ;) ;D topher have ya ever heard of using raw liver strips on tip ups  for strippers ..... :-\ ??? ??? ???  ...or am i getting punked.... ::) ::) ::)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
never heard of it for Stripers...only cats and bullys....if your feeling lucky, can probably get you suckers..I got a wally rig for ya for a tip up too...sooner than later I'll get it to ya...I think I'm gonna hit Belmont this weekend...never really fished it, read alot about where to fish and such...just gonna try...who knows, maybe a giant will be landed...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 i.m gonna fish the river...save the lake fish for fishing with youse guys.... ;) ;D...them stripers gotta eat something and sometime too.... ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.