New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1094466 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Fished today from about 7am to 2pm chased a bunch of flags all morning slowed down around 11am. Didn't catch the species we were after but had some fun couple pics.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished today from about 7am to 2pm chased a bunch of flags all morning slowed down around 11am. Didn't catch the species we were after but had some fun couple pics.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice slime darts LM. I won't ask you to give up you honey holes because I won't waste my time after them. I will ask a basic idea about what part of the county you fished in and what the conditions of the ice and snow pack were. I can't do much dragging in a foot of hard packed snow and even with a machine like my Snowdog I would stay off for a while longer until things settle down and the snow levels drop some.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have never seen a football pick...very cool. It's like he's a wannabe bass!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you everyone for your ice conditions reports. Good to hear they have opened some lakes in Harriman and Sterling Forest state parks.
Fishmaniac2021 welcome to Ice Shanty and the Southern NY. thread looks like you will have to ice fish on one of the lakes opened in Harriman or Sterling forest. If you goe back a page or two in this thread look for my post with phone numbers  for both parks. I would call before leaving the city. Also on route 17 of of northbound lane as you are entering Sloatsburg,NY. is Davis Sport shop hopefully they have live bait fish and insect larva in stock. I'm sorry I don't know their hours or phone number.
Loudmouth879 congratulations on the pickerel hope the conditions where you fished were not to bad.

Best to all heading out this weekend.
 Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I won't ask you to give up you honey holes because I won't waste my time after them I will ask the conditions of the ice and snow pack were.

We weren't targeting them either target species were crappie and perch but as I'm sure you know if they're in there you'll catch them regardless if you target them or not. We caught somewhere around 10-12 pickerel and around 6 bass.... as far as ice conditions I guess I would consider where I was central/southern Orange County and there was about 5-6 inches and snowpack wasn't really that bad was typically 4" of snow occasionally id stumble upon a drift that was around 8". The afternoon was a different story as the temps warmed up that snow and the drifts started to become a slushy mess but with the warm afternoons and cold nights should tighten the snow up a bunch and turn the 5-6" of ice into 9-10 inches in no time. Glad these next 2 storms are missing us we don't need anymore snow

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Another good day.  Mostly three of us jigging, a few off tip ups. 

7 inches black ice, and 2+ white.

Putnam county. 

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Great job kb

Offline SeaBeTree

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished Putnam yesterday. Slow bite for me.  Tough hiking through the slush on top.  Hoping Loudmouth is right and it tightens up this week.

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another good day.  Mostly three of us jigging, a few off tip ups. 

7 inches black ice, and 2+ white.

Putnam county. 

You’re on fire so far this winter KB!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Kb thank you for the photo congratulations to you and your fishing partners I agree with Coldfusion you are having a good season to date.

To follow up on my post of Feb.5TH  here is some information on Davis Sport Shop in Sloatsburg,NY.
         Davis Sport Shop (845)-753-2198
         120 NY-17 North        Sloatsburg,NY.
         hours  Monday-Tuesday (9AM-7PM) ,Wednesday-Thursday (9am-5PM), Friday (9am-7PM), Saturday-Sunday (8AM-5PM)
         website www.davissport.com

It is currently snowing here in New Windsor  forecast says I may see three inches of new snow when this storm ends  so unless everything melts some and then freezes travel on the ice will still be a problem. Best to everyone out fishing today.
  Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice work KB! I took the weekend off to finish my snowmobile trailer and hard hitch my Otter sled. Looks like the walking is getting tough!

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Reservoirs are firming up nicely East of Hudson. Next bout of cold weather the next week or two is going to make the sketchier ice safe. Guys were on Gilead, backside of Croton Falls, and small side of West Branch this afternoon. Here’s to hoping Gleneida, Cross River, and the main body of West Branch become safe.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Anyone going to the Mahogany Ridge Hunting & Fishing Club contest on Sat ?
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will be at mahogany ridge contest no ATV or machines again this year they said.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Thank you all.  I’m just in the right place at the right time.

I drove past Sylvan last weekend, and guys were out on it. It’s been years since that froze up! 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
I will be at mahogany ridge contest no ATV or machines again this year they said.
Where did they say that ? I'll ask them now and let you know.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Where did they say that ? I'll ask them now and let you know.
So yes
We are not permitting any machines due to all of the snow we have gotten and will continue to get because it is probably going to be too deep. We tried to get our personal machines out there and they just got stuck unless going really fast, which isn’t safe if there is a lot of people on the ice. Our parking lot also isn’t big enough for everyone to bring trailers and such.

Offline 2FishinBuddies

• Team IceShanty Regular
Guys getting Pike in Putnam lake thru the ice ,  must of stocked in there too.

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
Reservoirs are firming up nicely East of Hudson. Next bout of cold weather the next week or two is going to make the sketchier ice safe. Guys were on Gilead, backside of Croton Falls, and small side of West Branch this afternoon. Here’s to hoping Gleneida, Cross River, and the main body of West Branch become safe.
Coldfusion. thanks for the report.  I'm planning on fishing West Branch at Nicols Rd on Friday. Will provide a report if I make it out there.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict

I think they have been in there buddy had one jigging last week

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Shawn m. Good choice too much snow and slush wheelers getting stuck all over the place not good. How hard is the walk now tons of snow on top? Hopefully this freeze hardens up a little bit thank you

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Thanks Shawn m. Good choice too much snow and slush wheelers getting stuck all over the place not good. How hard is the walk now tons of snow on top? Hopefully this freeze hardens up a little bit thank you
Message from them
it’s not bad now. With all the wind a lot of it has blown off. It does look like it’s starting to pack down so hopefully it won’t be too much on saturdsy

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Drove thru Harriman Park today around 4-430. All lakes are Red flags.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This stinks! I just read we could get up to another foot of snow Sunday/Monday. I took forever for the ice to form and now that we finally have safe ice most lakes have a foot or more snow making it hard for walking and just as hard for any of our machines to go anywhere. Strange season this year for sure.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Some snow Sat night to Sun only 1 to 3  ::) and Tue to Wed more the hits just keep on coming !!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Some snow Sat night to Sun only 1 to 3  ::) and Tue to Wed more the hits just keep on coming !!!!

I read it here. https://midhudsonnews.com/2021/02/11/foot-of-snow-strong-winds-expected-sunday-into-monday/
Not sure where this is supposed to hit or where they get their weather reports from but southern Sullivan has been getting hit pretty hard from most of these NE storms.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Wunderground/weather channel is not predicting those winds at all ...and they are spot on with wind usually ..snow predictions tend to be way way way up there .other outlets seem to not predict this as well

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ny/rock-hill/KNYWURTS11

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Rock+Hill&state=NY&site=BGM&lat=41.6258&lon=-74.5981#.YCVQwjGSkww

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/rock-hill/12775/winter-weather-forecast/2128667
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Found a post on FB ..cant find another source ..if anyone can verify it would be appreciated.

February 27th Swan Lake ice fishing contest. Come out and support your F.D. Have great time on the ice with family and friends. Food drinks will be served.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline iceman67

• IceShanty Rookie
Is swan lake ice fishing contest actually going on? Need to know for sure have a bunch of people interested in going

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Is swan lake ice fishing contest actually going on? Need to know for sure have a bunch of people interested in going

Call the fire station
845-292-6918
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.