Author Topic: Big Mac  (Read 965 times)

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big Mac
« on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:53 AM »
So, there's some decent ice on the main lake finally, about 5 inches.  I fished two solid half days, all the places we were catching them in late november.  Fished trees, deep, shallow, fished 8 foot out to 48, fished trees out in 35 fow. Fished some humps, and some tight contour lines, and flats.  Jigged one rod and had 4 jackers out with minnows.  A few dink perch is all I could come up with.  Didn't mark much action either. I don't understand what the problem is with this lake when it gets ice, I keep thinking one of these times I will figure it out, but end up going home frustrated, wishing I had traveled to a different lake with my time.  Too many baby shad and alewife fluttering down after the winter kill?  Where are the wipers and whitebass?  Other similar reservoirs seem to fish alright through the ice, whats the deal?
Although the ice was fishable this past weekend, use extreme caution if you venture out, there were some very sketchy spots and with these warmer temps I don't think the main lake will be fishable.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Big Mac
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Can’t help you, but when you do get it figured out you will be the man and folks will beat a path to your door! In the mean time good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Big Mac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:51 PM »
So, there's some decent ice on the main lake finally, about 5 inches.  I fished two solid half days, all the places we were catching them in late november.  Fished trees, deep, shallow, fished 8 foot out to 48, fished trees out in 35 fow. Fished some humps, and some tight contour lines, and flats.  Jigged one rod and had 4 jackers out with minnows.  A few dink perch is all I could come up with.  Didn't mark much action either. I don't understand what the problem is with this lake when it gets ice, I keep thinking one of these times I will figure it out, but end up going home frustrated, wishing I had traveled to a different lake with my time.  Too many baby shad and alewife fluttering down after the winter kill?  Where are the wipers and whitebass?  Other similar reservoirs seem to fish alright through the ice, whats the deal?
Although the ice was fishable this past weekend, use extreme caution if you venture out, there were some very sketchy spots and with these warmer temps I don't think the main lake will be fishable.

Shad and alewives both in McConaughy tend to winter in some specific areas.  Might be a lot of predator fish in those areas too.

Unfortunately, may not be much ice in those areas.

My $0.02-worth,

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.